Deciding to buy 4 string or 8 string ukulele Under $600

alfn23

Reaction score
Hi all. I have got a tenor Mahalo ukulele been playing for a year now..
I am planning on getting a new ukulele and deciding if i should get a 4 string or a 8 string. If it is a 8 string is it pretty much same as a guitar?

I have already got a 4 string tenor Mahalo ukulele and i just need suggestions what brand ukulele to buy for a 4 string or a 8 string ukulele under $600. Thank you

What is your style of playing...strumming or finger picking (or both)? The 8 string is more for strumming.
Since you have a 4 string, the next step I would take (and that is what I did) get a 6 string next and see if you like it, some people do not.
Or better yet, find a store that has both 6 and 8 string ukes and play them both, that way you'll know.

What is your style of playing...strumming or finger picking (or both)? The 8 string is more for strumming.
Since you have a 4 string, the next step I would take (and that is what I did) get a 6 string next and see if you like it, some people do not.
Or better yet, find a store that has both 6 and 8 string ukes and play them both, that way you'll know.

I really love both picking and strumming. I live in New Zealand and there are very limited number of shops that hold 6 string or 8 string ukes they are mostly all cheap 4 string ukuleles... And i am planning on buying one online viewing the youtube videos of the particular ukulele on sale..

8 String ukes are nothing like a guitar. They're probably closer to mandolin but tuned differently.

There are two types of 6 string ukuleles, those with two doubled strings, and the Guitelele style (Kala calls theirs a UTAR) which does mimic the string pattern of a six string guitar, but tuned up 5 half steps.

I am planning on getting a new ukulele and deciding if i should get a 4 string or a 8 string. If it is a 8 string is it pretty much same as a guitar?

I have already got a 4 string tenor Mahalo ukulele and i just need suggestions what brand ukulele to buy for a 4 string or a 8 string ukulele under $600. Thank you

My boyfriend's hula halau want to buy their kumu an 8 string `ukulele and their budget is around $600. I have been researching their options for them. Basically, it's a tough market. There aren't as many 8 string `ukuleles available as there are 4 strings, so the options are slender. There are the laminates (Kala, Lanikai) that are in the $250-$350 range (this is USD). Oscar Schmidt has one $136, I don't know how that's going to sound. Kelii has a laminate koa for $679 and Mele solid koa is around $850. Naturally, the Kamaka and Kanile'a solid koa is completely out of the ball park. I wrote to Mike of Uke Republic and he said that Pono and Ohana are coming out with 8 strings this summer; the Ohana will be $230 and the Pono solid mahogany $450. He also said that he will have a Sailor solid cedar top for $565 next month.

Good luck!

I bought a used 1960-1970,s era Kamaka 8 string uke on EBay for $800. A bit out of your range but well worth it. When strummed, the 8 string sounds like a ukulele ensemble is playing. The solid Koa is right for it too. Very full sound. Picking is limited for a novice like myself.
I also have a Pono 4 string Acacia tenor uke. This one is great for picking.

Here are some songs I wrote and played with the two ukes:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11497519 The Kamaka Tenor 8 string stummed and a bit of picking
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11380085 The Pono Acacia Tenor 4 string (strumming)
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11401102 The Pono Acacia Tenor 4 string picked

I got a good deal on a Kamaka 8 on ebay. a 4 string vs 8 string uke comparison is similar to a 6 vs 12 string guitar.I agree with Mana, the Koa/8 string combo is nice. I don't know if I would like one as my only uke, but it is great fun. there is a new review of a OS 8 here on UU.

There is a Ko'Aloha Tenor ukulele available int he marketplace right now of $600, with a hardshell case.

Look at it, and think about it really hard - it is worth every penny of the price.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?62301-FS-Gorgeous-KoAloha-Concert-KCM-00

-Kurt​

Mike's got an awful nice looking 4 string cedar top tenor for $550 USD. Hand built, well-known luthier, how can you go wrong?.....not that i'm biased or anything ;)

http://mpukuleles.com/For_Sale.html

The link you posted goes to a concert, not a tenor `ukulele.

Ah - my mistake!

But now I have to really kick myself for not being able to buy it! I'd love a concert Ko'Aloha!

(I think I was mixed up with a different thread where the ukulele was listed, but not the size...)

OK - There's a Ko'Aloha Concert Ukulele available in the marketplace, with a hardshell case, for $600 - and worth every penny of it!

-Kurt​

Ah - my mistake!

But now I have to really kick myself for not being able to buy it! I'd love a concert Ko'Aloha!

(I think I was mixed up with a different thread where the ukulele was listed, but not the size...)

OK - There's a Ko'Aloha Concert Ukulele available in the marketplace, with a hardshell case, for $600 - and worth every penny of it!

-Kurt​

I'll take your word for it, but my boyfriend is still looking for an 8-string!

I wouldn't get a 8 string if it's your primary ukulele..it is not really a great overall uke...great for rhythm
and background strumming and while picking is possible, I prefer a 4 string for that..also if you have a
wider neck or thicker...it may be hard on the fretting..lighter tension strings may help but may be a compromise.

I recently bought a Lanikai O-8. It has a solid spruce top and is a great 8-string for under $300. I'm primarily a fingerpicker and have to admit I wasn't happy with the overall sound of the 8-string. That was until I attended a concert last week where a local 12-string guitar player mentioned he had swapped out the octave G string for a standard gauge to get a specific sound. I came home and did the same to the octave C on the uke. Now it sounds great whether it's strummed or picked. A much fuller, richer sound.

Top Bottom