The Great One- Podcast Content Ahead

TCK

Reaction score
SO, when I did a little cast on the great one a while back, Dirk (Southcoast Strings) asked why I did not include anything from the Audiology (AUDIOPHILE-OOPS) record....
Because I don't have it...DOH!
So I went to buy it- which inadvertently took between October and now, but yeah, I got it now, and I played the whole darn thing nearly on my show tonight.
Normally I would not do such things, but this record was meant to be heard by everyone- it is absolutely beautiful. Besides...Cliff Edwards died broke and full of booze- no one owns his music but the man himself, and he would want to play it I figure.
In any event- here we go for the uninitiated-if you have not heard this, please do yourself the favor:
The Songs Stuck In My Head
Thanks Dirk for turning me on to this one...it is truly his best work. Bless up Doc and Eugene for making sure the man never dies...he means the world to me ya know? And to my great big Ukulele Ohana...I can't give you anything but love.
And last- Ike...you know, we will all make a mark on this world. Even if very few ever see that mark, let's make sure it is a good one. The good we leave behind- indelible by the passing of time I figure.
Cheers-
The Cloverdale Kid

Last edited:
brilliant post brother. Will be listening to this tonight with a smile on my face from ear to ear. Can't wait. Na, not me and doc...YOU man, YOU. Tell us more about the audiology record Dave...I have 3 compilations and that's been all I can find. these ones...
1. ASV Living Era CD 'Singin in the Rain'
2. Audiophile CD 'Singing in the rain'
3. Upbeat CD 'I Did It with my little Ukulele'
where'd you track down the one you have?

Aye, The Great One indeed.

WHOOPS- I blew it already didn't I? It is the AUDIOPHILE record...totally brilliant.
And nope- I ain't got nothing on you lads- I just want to make sure everyone I know hears this stuff before I am gone too-you lads can actually PLAY IT.
That is gold innit?
Hope folks who have not heard this will and smile....sure as heck wish I could play it ;)

Last edited:
WHOOPS- I blew it already didn't I? It is the AUDIOPHILE record...totally brilliant.
And nope- I ain't got nothing on you lads- I just want to make sure everyone I know hears this stuff before I am gone too-you lads can actually PLAY IT.
That is gold innit?

mate, that's by far the best one and especially in terms of sound quality. No idea what kind of mastering tools they used but they are darn good ones. VERY high quality audio for recordings done mainly in the twenties...and sheesh...just how many incredible tunes are on there, eh??? pretty much every single bloomin one...

some personal faves amongst a veritable goldmine "I Wonder Where My Baby is Tonight"; "Louise"; "Together", "Paper Doll"; "It All Beongs To Me", "Hang On To Me", "Paddlin' Madelin Home"; "Man On the Flying Trapeze"; "I Used To Love You..."; "If I Had You"....aaaaah geez, might as well just write out the whole setlist

Dave, you're awesome mate. Thanks for these shows. They really are brilliant and you have a crazy gift for this deejay thing. Voice, humor, knowledge...it's all happening bro. TOP SHELF. Somebody put this man on mainstream radio and pay him

:cheers:

I thank you for your kind compliments on my little show- I am not sure if I add anything to the arena but an ear for what sounds good to me...and a brain that was raised with music every minute of every day. To me that is the important part of being around, and I hope what I do makes a few folks smile. I got songs piled up here like you would never imagine (Hoarders style), it was great to have Dirk suggest some I had not heard yet (especially ones this good).
This bit, you are right mate- Ukulele Ike never sounded so good and I will spend quite a while figuring out how they did it...AMAZING album for sure. I just pass it along :)

1/2 way through and man I think I'm in heaven. Love the synchronicity too mate; the fact that "It All Belongs To Me" was first up and I just recorded that one yesterday meself.

Heard these before but you have such a smooth and loving presentation of this material Dave...dang, your tonsils are nearly as golden as Cliff's.

Bliss mate. Pure. Utter. BLISS.

And yep, this record is just about the best ever made. I can't think of anything I love more.

Glad you are enjoying it mate...
You know "It all belongs to me" was first for a reason right?
Thanks for keeping the tunes alive.
Back to the bliss :)

aaaah, "Hang On To Me" up now....too good mate, too good

on to "Good Little Bad Little You". Oh yes.

Last edited:
ooooh, finally...."Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight". Just sublime.

CONGA!!!!!!

:biglaugh:

nice way to bring it home with the Hawaii tune mate. Really, happy times with eugenie aside, this has been one of the nicest hours I've spent in many a long while. Thanks Dave. :)

Last edited:
looking forward to giving it a spin...... woke up to find the subscription notification e-mail in my inbox this morning..... glad I subscribed - I didn't comment, but the last couple of shows have been great, as always.....

Thanks for listening Mr. Skidoo- I will try to keep 'em coming in the same style. I am pretty sure you will dig this one if you don't have the record already.

giving this a bump for those who may have missed it. Truly a wonderful tribute show...

Awe, many thanks mate...
CON-GA!
At least you and Skidoo heard it...all I need in this life

....and I'll give it a bump as well..... more aural excellence from sunny Cloverdale.....

Thanks TCK for the education. Like many uke players I've heard some of Ike's stuff, but this is the most exposure i've ever had. Also thanks to the bumpers:Jon & Bill, I figured I should check it out as you are a couple of my favorite uu video posters.
Cliff Edwards is a great talent.
Thanks,
Don
PS:TCK, you are a talented radio host as well, I like the sound of your voice and your delivery.

Top Bottom