My Ukulele Strap

dkzee

Reaction score
I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to post up pictures, but I hope I'm doing this right.

Yesterday I came across this ukulele strap when I went for a one day trip to Miri, Sarawak.

zee's ukulele.jpg
Here's a picture of my ukulele strap with my ukulele.

The first thing that I noticed in the shop was this ukulele strap and being a rainbow lover, I instantly bought this. It cost me around US$8.20.

What about you guys? Do you guys own a ukulele strap? If so, please do share!

Hey, I like that one! I have THIS STRAP. I like that kind of folkish-woven look.

dadstrap.jpg

I like the strap. I didn't want to drill into my uke (I'm notoriously bad with power tools.) So I got the classical hook type.

I like the strap. I didn't want to drill into my uke (I'm notoriously bad with power tools.) So I got the classical hook type.

Since you asked... comes in 13 colors, and yes I do like to have a strap.
–Lori

Attachments

• uke-leash-ebay-square-sm.jpg
    uke-leash-ebay-square-sm.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 22
I am not a fan of the "hook" type straps. The main reason being that they exert outward pressure on the soundhole. Probably okay on most laminate tops, but the weight of the uke plus the weight of your right arm both pulling on the soundhole could be a recipe for disaster on a thin, solid top. They also don't provide any real stability in holding the neck up, which to me is the main benefit of using a strap (other than being able to play standing up).

I mostly play sitting down and only regularly use a strap on my MidEast baroquelele, as it has a rounded "bowl" type back and likes to slide around my gut. :p

I have used Lori's Uke Leash before and I think it's a better alternative than the "hook" if you don't want to install a strap button. It is really good for stabilizing the neck so your fretting hand can move around freely.

I wouldn't install a strap button on a really expensive uke because it might hurt the resale value, but on a cheap one it's really no big deal. If you aren't confident in doing it yourself or don't have a drill, most any store that sells guitars will install one for a nominal cost.

I have this Levy's Leathers mandolin strap (in various colours) on a LOT of my ukuleles: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XPJT7C/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

I have this Planet Waves mandolin strap on my Fleas, Flukes, and other plastic-bodied ukuleles (with Velcro to attach): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GZBO2/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

I have a Uke Leash banjo uke full strap for my banjolele and a leather Uke Leash half-strap for my WaverlyStreet all-koa soprano ukulele. Oh, and a Uke Leash half-strap with a full-strap adapter on my red Hilo Amanda Palmer ukulele.

I have a rainbow-y fabric guitar strap on my Eleuke. I have a piece of thick yarn around the body and attached at the nut of my TV Pal plastic ukulele.

In other words, all my ukuleles have some kind of strap, one way or another! :)

Mousie

Top Bottom