Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Seventh Season of the Ukulele" contest: WOODY WEEK

Yeah he is known over the pond even though i have only discovered him through Eugine quite a few people at my uke club know and love woody, ive got 2 tunes im busy practicing not sure which one to go with just yet, but will defo be entering
    "I'm Playing all the Right Notes, just not necesserarily in the Right Order " - Eric Morecambe

UKETUBES: UkuleleDaveey

Thanks Jon for picking up the ball and running with it. I'm gonna try and work something up for this week if my work schedule allows it.

But I gotta tell you, this week's theme is bugging me. Nothing wrong with Woody Guthrie, mind you, it's just me. See, I was born and raised in East Tennessee, I lived in Nashville for 15 years and I've played guitar for almost 35 years. So this three chord folk stuff is old hat to me on guitar. But I've never really tried it on uke. I've never needed to. If I want to play this style of music I just grab the guitar. So I'm just not sure how to do adapt it to uke.

Hopefully I'll have time to figure it out before Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Peg View Post
    Thanks Jon for picking up the ball and running with it. I'm gonna try and work something up for this week if my work schedule allows it.

But I gotta tell you, this week's theme is bugging me. Nothing wrong with Woody Guthrie, mind you, it's just me. See, I was born and raised in East Tennessee, I lived in Nashville for 15 years and I've played guitar for almost 35 years. So this three chord folk stuff is old hat to me on guitar. But I've never really tried it on uke. I've never needed to. If I want to play this style of music I just grab the guitar. So I'm just not sure how to do adapt it to uke.

Hopefully I'll have time to figure it out before Sunday.
    you know J-Peg, in that sense you and me are exactly the same.

I learnt to play guitar 20 years back on this kind of stuff and just kept playing it my whole life!!! And yeah, what you talk about with the uke was a difficulty I had...the exact same one ...how do you make a 2-3-4 chord strummed mid-tempo folk song sound interesting on a ukulele? I battled with it for a year or more when I first started learning to play the ukulele.

My big breakthrough came a couple of years back when I started working how to find the melody line and work out a way to use it somehow in the performance. When that happens, these 2 and 3 chord strumathons have so much more colour.

But hey brother, the lyricism in Woody's stuff is of such a high order, I think that it's perfectly fine to play many of his songs with a focus on the words over and above the melody. A lot of his material is didactic and we're meant to hear his voice, so just keep strummin man and sing it like your life depends on it, that's all Woody really used to do anyway...
    Last edited by Hippie Dribble; 03-26-2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: too much verbola...

also, as for getting that 'folky' rhythm, I tend to just go thumb-strum V^-thumb-strumV^... so you get that boom-chicka-boom-chicka kinda thing happening (usually alternating the thumb pluck between the C and G strings)

man does that even make sense or am I overdue for my medication again???

Good news folkies. Just heard back from UKISOCIETY and he's gonna get in the guest judge chair for the week and come along for the ride with us. AWESOME!!!!!!! Thanks Alan!

I'm so glad this is happening! Thanks Jon for getting us started with a great theme. I think I found my song and hoping I have the time to record it.
    Food for thought; maybe for a future week somebody could do a "dedicate a Disney song to Christian" week.

Default I ain't got no home in this world any mo'

Woody Guthrie song with a tune he borrowed from the
    Carter Family and a chorus which I borrowed from the
    Incredible String Band.

This world is not my home
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqRpyG0W96k

I ain't got no home
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12EvtfwDCM4

Ducks on pond (last two verses)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90jFKaVDP2k

Surprise surprise THIS WORLD IS NOT MY HOME was written by (Albert E. Brumley) in 1937.
    Brumley was born near Spiro, Oklahoma on October 29, 1905. Pre-Dustbowl Oklahoma was
    primarily made up of sparse agricultural communities; Brumley's family was no different.
    He spent much of his early life chopping and picking cotton on his family's farm.
    Same old territory as Woody Guthrie.

Everybody borrows from everybody else.

Though the themes of the songs are quite different. Diametrically opposed in fact, since one
    is spiritual while the other is temporal. Given that Guthrie was heavily involved with the labour
    movement, he had a keen eye for the injustices that befell the poor and downtrodden.
    The evictions and farm seizures of the depression years made many people homeless,
    and they left the hell of the dust-bowl for the promised land of California.

Famine and poverty always sees the movement of people across borders.
    It is in human nature to want a better life, but somebody will always be around to
    build a wall, be it political, or concrete to stop the influx of desperate people.

Guthrie wanted to break down the walls.
    Last edited by wee_ginga_yin; 03-27-2012 at 04:04 AM.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

well said and well played Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_ginga_yin View Post
    Woody Guthrie song with a tune he borrowed from the
    Carter Family and a chorus which I borrowed from the
    Incredible String Band.

This world is not my home
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqRpyG0W96k

I ain't got no home
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12EvtfwDCM4

Ducks on pond (last two verses)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90jFKaVDP2k

Surprise surprise THIS WORLD IS NOT MY HOME was written by (Albert E. Brumley) in 1937.
    Brumley was born near Spiro, Oklahoma on October 29, 1905. Pre-Dustbowl Oklahoma was
    primarily made up of sparse agricultural communities; Brumley's family was no different.
    He spent much of his early life chopping and picking cotton on his family's farm.
    Same old territory as Woody Guthrie.

Everybody borrows from everybody else.

Though the themes of the songs are quite different. Diametrically opposed in fact, since one
    is spiritual while the other is temporal. Given that Guthrie was heavily involved with the labour
    movement, he had a keen eye for the injustices that befell the poor and downtrodden.
    The evictions and farm seizures of the depression years made many people homeless,
    and they left the hell of the dust-bowl for the promised land of California.

Famine and poverty always sees the movement of people across borders.
    It is in human nature to want a better life, but somebody will always be around to
    build a wall, be it political, or concrete to stop the influx of desperate people.

Guthrie wanted to break down the walls.
    Great, haunting performance. Thanks, Rob!
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene ukulele View Post
    well said and well played Rob.
    Hadrian's wall, Great wall of China, Berlin wall, all epic fails.
    and now there are walls going up in Mexico and Israel.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Thread Information