"The Seventh Season of the Ukulele" contest: WOODY WEEK

This ain't gonna win no prize but it sure was fun. Here's my kids and I doing Woodie Guthrie's All Work Together. I've never heard this song so I just used a chord progression from another family favorite and away we went! Thanks for this great challenge Jon. I was slightly familiar with Woodie's songs but I had no idea that a lot of songs I knew were his. I also discovered more wonderful tunes I've never heard. I was hoping to get a chance to work on Hobo's Lullaby but I'm out of time and out of town tomorrow. Enjoy!

Sweet. Love the increasingly intense choruses. Fun!

news flash! Prize update!!!!

Cliff Edwards compilation CD
Woody Guthrie compilation CD
original "Essential Strums for the Ukulele" DVD, Ralph Shaw
kazoo with trumpet
2 'Uke can change the world' stickers
2 felt picks
eugene CD of early jazz era tunes

BIG Bickies!!!!! :eek:

Wow love them prizes,jsut to get my hands on some woody stuff would be awesome, thanks so much Jon for this comp, about to do try and do my first vid and i am nervous, i am also being filmed by channel 4 tonight for "Come dine with me" as me and two of our uke club are providing some of the entertainment for the dinner party, hopefully give the mighty uke some more exposure,

Hi all well here is my first entry, im extremly nervous hope i havent done to bad a job, rushing around as i am on a tv show that is being recorded tonight, im playing ukulele with some friends on a tv show called come dine with me, so i am extremely nervous lol and double nervous doing this vid, anyway recorded live from my loft(man cave). hope it is so so, loved everyones vids so far :)
Bad Lee Brown Cocaine Blues,by Woody Guthrie,

Hi all well here is my first entry, im extremly nervous hope i havent done to bad a job, rushing around as i am on a tv show that is being recorded tonight, im playing ukulele with some friends on a tv show called come dine with me, so i am extremely nervous lol and double nervous doing this vid, anyway recorded live from my loft(man cave). hope it is so so, loved everyones vids so far :)

Dont now what you are worrying about mate, The singing and playing sounds great.

That was great! The song, the singing, the playing, all very enjoyable. Welcome to the contest!

The song not only survived unscathed, it's looking a little happier and healthier. Sounds great!

Many thanks UkuleleDaddy, loved your entry to, that looked so much fun, thanks ukuloonie really appreciate your positive feedback as well, many thanks Ralf for your kind positive feedback as well, when I practised it I tended to either do it slow or the fast version i put up, my wife said she liked both ways I played it, plus also i think it is nice if you can manage to put a little bit of you in it, it was never intended, it was just the way it came out :) but really appreciate your words as I do from all of you. And so sorry for all my babbling talk at the beginning.
Loved your song to the sillydave, loved your strumming on that,the tune sounded fantastic :)

Many thanks UkuleleDaddy, loved your entry to, that looked so much fun, thanks ukuloonie really appreciate your positive feedback as well, many thanks Ralf for your kind positive feedback as well, when I practised it I tended to either do it slow or the fast version i put up, my wife said she liked both ways I played it, plus also i think it is nice if you can manage to put a little bit of you in it, it was never intended, it was just the way it came out :) but really appreciate your words as I do from all of you. And so sorry for all my babbling talk at the beginning.
Loved your song to the sillydave, loved your strumming on that,the tune sounded fantastic :)

ukuleledaveey, thanks for the nice words, and also, you sounded great! you should do more videos! cheers!

been on a bicycle tour all week [fun] and I just whipped this out. if it's too late feel free to disqualify me. AI had to do it because I love Woody and am beginning to really [insert strong negative words here] the banksters. their greed is ruining our way of life!

I don't know if I screwed up and no sound recorded, or my computer is just not playing the sound back, good grief!
great lyrics though,
“The Jolly Banker”
Wilco (a Woody Guthrie cover)
G******************************************* C
My name is Tom Cranker, and I’m a jolly banker,
G************************************************* D
I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.
C******************************************* G
I safeguard the farmers and widows and orphans,
G******************************************** D************** G
Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.
[G]When dust storms are sailing, and[C] crops they are failing,
[G]I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.[D]
[C]I check up your shortage and[G] bring down your mortgage,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, jolly[D] banker am I.[G]
[G]When money you’re needing, and[C] mouths you are feeding,
[G]I’m a jolly banker, jolly[D] banker am I.
[C]I’ll plaster your home with a[G] furniture loan,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker,[D] jolly banker am I.[G]
[G]If you show me you need it, I’ll[C] let you have credit;
[G]I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I[D].
[C]Just bring me back two for the one[G] I lend you,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.
[G]When your car you’re losin’ and[C] sadly your cruisin’,
[C]I’ll come and foreclose, get your[G] car and your clothes,
[G]When the bugs get your cotton, the [C]times they are rotten,
[C]I’ll come down and help you, I’ll [G]rape you and scalp you,
[G]When the landlords abuse you or [C]sadly misuse you,
[C]I’ll send down the police to[G] keep you from mischief,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.[G]

Last edited:
been on a bicycle tour all week [fun] and I just whipped this out. if it's too late feel free to disqualify me. AI had to do it because I love Woody and am beginning to really [insert strong negative words here] the banksters. their greed is ruining our way of life!

Pssst! Strumsilly! There's no sound...

Heh, heh. Being British probably counts as a better excuse. Woody was a staple of Americana but I don't know that his stuff was ever that popular across the pond.

JOhn

AH!! Well that'll do, yes thats it, it's because I'm from the UK...ahem....yes...

Ok so i've still got camera issues and I just gave up smoking too so I'm GRUMPY!! GRRRRR......

Pssst! Strumsilly! There's no sound...

..............thats called singin solo .............(you know the rest)

thanks folks , i'm here all week. try the lobster.

never thought i would ever get a chance to say that....damn............. :) the uke gods have been kind.

eor

Last edited:
..............thats called singin solo .............(you know the rest)

thanks folks , i'm here all week. try the lobster.

never thought i would ever get a chance to say that....damn............. :) the uke gods have been kind.

eor

Hmmmm...maybe he was doing that in honor of Woody's mime period...

I don't know if I screwed up and no sound recorded, or my computer is just not playing the sound back, good grief!
great lyrics though,
“The Jolly Banker”
Wilco (a Woody Guthrie cover)
G******************************************* C
My name is Tom Cranker, and I’m a jolly banker,
G************************************************* D
I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.
C******************************************* G
I safeguard the farmers and widows and orphans,
G******************************************** D************** G
Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I.
[G]When dust storms are sailing, and[C] crops they are failing,
[C]I check up your shortage and[G] bring down your mortgage,
[G]When money you’re needing, and[C] mouths you are feeding,
[G]I’m a jolly banker, jolly[D] banker am I.
[C]I’ll plaster your home with a[G] furniture loan,
[G]If you show me you need it, I’ll[C] let you have credit;
[G]I’m a jolly banker, jolly banker am I[D].
[C]Just bring me back two for the one[G] I lend you,
[G]Singin’ I’m a jolly banker, [D]jolly banker am I.
[G]When your car you’re losin’ and[C] sadly your cruisin’,
[C]I’ll come and foreclose, get your[G] car and your clothes,
[G]When the bugs get your cotton, the [C]times they are rotten,
[C]I’ll come down and help you, I’ll [G]rape you and scalp you,
[G]When the landlords abuse you or [C]sadly misuse you,
[C]I’ll send down the police to[G] keep you from mischief,

Ry Cooder has a great song with similar theme on his last grammy-nominated album. "No Banker Left Behind" (name of the song, not the album). I almost did it for the grammy week of the six seasons.

John

Woody Guthrie song with a tune he borrowed from the
Carter Family and a chorus which I borrowed from the
Incredible String Band.

Only now finding time to watch the Woody Week vids and I am so moved by your hearfelt rendition of this beautiful old song.
Thanks wee ginga yin.

Top Bottom