"The Seventh Season of the Ukulele" contest: WOODY WEEK

Woody Guthrie song with a tune he borrowed from the
Carter Family and a chorus which I borrowed from the
Incredible String Band.

Only now finding time to watch the Woody Week vids and I am so moved by your hearfelt rendition of this beautiful old song.
Thanks wee ginga yin.

...weird to be on the other side of the contest again...

well....jon, thank goodness you are not a contestant! we'd all lose!! lov ya!

christian, that was way above board! too much for me!
i couldn't keep up with the pick'n....sounded way above and beyond the parameters! you've been holding back! cheers to alll!

loonie! that was wonderful! i have a ukulele bango...i haven't mastered it enough....great job!

Last edited:
Wow your a dark horse Christian that was fantastic playing, good to see you in action :)
Ukuloonie that was fantastic to loved your playing and your voice sounded fantastic for that song really really enjoyed it, I have loved all the entries this week, so glad i joined in :)

Many thanks to everyone who participated in our week of tributes to the great Woody Guthrie in the 7th season of uke.

Here's the playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95DCA96CAF486EE0&feature=plcp

Eugenie and I will post our impressions over the next few days and final results later in the week once we aggregate our scores with UKISOCIETY. Thanks you guys, some fab performances... :)

Many thanks to everyone who participated in our week of tributes to the great Woody Guthrie in the 7th season of uke.

Here's the playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL95DCA96CAF486EE0&feature=plcp

Eugenie and I will post our impressions over the next few days and final results later in the week once we aggregate our scores with UKISOCIETY. Thanks you guys, some fab performances... :)

It's not over yet, is it? Midnight on Sunday would be tonight, right?

hope this helps this was in the rules " Cut Off Date

Entries should be posted here by midnight, Hawaii time on Sunday April 1.

Not to sound like a smartass or anything, but I repeat the question - midnight Sunday is tonight, right?

I only ask because Jon's post had a ring of finality to it.

Not to sound like a smartass or anything, but I repeat the question - midnight Sunday is tonight, right?

I only ask because Jon's post had a ring of finality to it.

That's what I thought. I've got one to upload this morning.

ok, the guests are gone and I had time to quicky redo "Jolly Banker", with sound. funny how songs are more interesting with audio. one take , you can tell before coffee, kind of slow, but luckily Woody was all about lyrics, not fancy fretwork. If he were alive today I'm sure he would have written a few more about the banksters and the politicians who are in bed with them.

“Anyone who uses more than two chords is just showing off.”
― Woody Guthrie
“Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple.”
― Woody Guthrie

Here's my entry... I'm doing a benefit concert of Jesus Christ Superstar for a theater that employs me quite a bit, so Jesus and charity have been on my mind. Also, always on my mind is political hypocrisy, so it was a perfect storm this week. This isn't the perfect take, but I ran out of time... ah well.

Confusion over the deadline. Argh. On the calendar, midnight Sunday is the minute following 11:59 pm Saturday. That's last night, so Jon called it a contest and made the playlist.

But ukulele hobos aren't used to living by the clock, so we should give them a break.

Jon, can people who were confused about the deadline get their videos in today? Pretty please?

Confusion over the deadline. Argh. On the calendar, midnight Sunday is the minute following 11:59 pm Saturday. That's last night, so Jon called it a contest and made the playlist.

But ukulele hobos aren't used to living by the clock, so we should give them a break.

Jon, can people who were confused about the deadline get their videos in today? Pretty please?

must admit it doesnt take alot to confuse me lol, i agree with Ralf i am more than happy to include them although the decision is not mine, im totally cool with it :)

The six seasons contests all ended at midnight Saturday and we took many many submissions that were uploaded on that Saturday. I think common parlance is that midnight on a particular day is the end of that day, not the beginning, no matter what the actual calendar may say.

In the military, midnight was 12:00 PM and was the end of the day. The US National Institute of Standards and Technology states that the term "midnight on *insert day*" is ambiguous and should be avoided. In the Six Season Contest, Christian called the deadline of midnight Saturday and accepted entries until 5 AM US Eastern time on Sunday, so I assumed we were using the same convention in terminology.

But it's Jon's call. I'm going to submit my video either way, even if it's just to share it.

This ain't gonna win no prize but it sure was fun. Here's my kids and I doing Woodie Guthrie's All Work Together. I've never heard this song so I just used a chord progression from another family favorite and away we went! Thanks for this great challenge Jon. I was slightly familiar with Woodie's songs but I had no idea that a lot of songs I knew were his. I also discovered more wonderful tunes I've never heard. I was hoping to get a chance to work on Hobo's Lullaby but I'm out of time and out of town tomorrow. Enjoy!

That was a winner! So much fun and great memories made with your girls!

Great stuff, everyone! I've been enjoying the playlist all morning. Here's some feedback for those I'd missed...

glass: Nice version of a classic. Your energy was so infectious, I picked a uke and strummed and sang along. Fun.

Peewee: Nice to have you in the "Seasons" crew. Your spirited performance fits right in. Good one.

thesillydave: Amazing how many of Guthrie's songs haven't aged a day. This one could've been written last week. Thanks for a sweet version. Nice, folksy strumming.

UK Paulie: Nice picking and singing. It takes guts to put together an unfamiliar tune quickly. Thanks for braving the seventh season with us.

chrimess: Glad to have you back among the people! (Although, your were an excellent contest oligarch.) Singing and playing the melody together is cool, nice work. And sweet instrumental breaks. Were you practicing ripping while we were all learning Disney songs?

ukuloonie: Ah, banjo uke. Fitting choice. And some clawhammer-y stuff along with the usual sweet singing and strumming. Cool. You should get 5 out 5 in the "setting" category. Basement steps, the hobo's couch.

strumsilly: Great song choice. Nice melody in your playing. You've got a little of that banker's glee in your delivery, too. Sad that we're basically back in the same situation we were in when Guthrie wrote this one.

mattydee: Heavy tune. Nice choice and a great, heartfelt performance. The verse with just percussion and singing rules, especially.

eugeneukulele: Way to sneak another killer one into the playlist. Gracias. You don't want to give up that Cliff Edwards collection, do you?

Top Bottom