"The Seventh Season of the Ukulele" contest: WOODY WEEK

A couple years ago, Woody's daughter Nora invited singer/songwriter Jonatha Brooke to go through her father's unreleased lyrics to see if she could put any of them to music. This was one of the results of that posthumous collaboration. The tune isn't especially "Woody" sounding, but I really like the lyrics. It's cool to know that Woody was as passionate about his personal life as he was about his politics.

sorry guys, I've just woken up and missed all this...

I'm all over the place at the moment. Yeah, I was a day early, I actually did mean midnight Sunday night. I'll add these last few on to the playlist after the deadline actually finishes!!! shucks....contest still open for hours yet!!!!!

Think I was used to Christian's saturday night deadline and just went back there by default as the brain has been coasting in neutral for some days, sorry for the confusion folks, but it IS midnight tonight :eek:

Do I get a prize for being the first contest holder to stuff up the deadline twice in a comp that only goes for a week? Also the record for having more posts about the deadline than entries? He he.....

Last edited:
sorry guys, I've just woken up and missed all this...

I'm all over the place at the moment. Yeah, I was a day early, I actually did mean midnight Sunday night. I'll add these last few on to the playlist after the deadline actually finishes!!! shucks....contest still open for hours yet!!!!!

Think I was used to Christian's saturday night deadline and just went back there by default as the brain has been coasting in neutral for some days, sorry for the confusion folks, but it IS midnight tonight :eek:

Do I get a prize for being the first contest holder to stuff up the deadline twice in a comp that only goes for a week? Also the record for having more posts about the deadline than entries? He he.....

No Worries mate, just hearty thanks for the comp :)

A couple years ago, Woody's daughter Nora invited singer/songwriter Jonatha Brooke to go through her father's unreleased lyrics to see if she could put any of them to music. This was one of the results of that posthumous collaboration. The tune isn't especially "Woody" sounding, but I really like the lyrics. It's cool to know that Woody was as passionate about his personal life as he was about his politics.

Nice choice, J-Peg. It's like Guthrie's "I'm Sexy and I Know It". A little more sweet, though. Especially your version.

No worries, eugene. I'm just glad you stepped up and made it happen at all.

Danville Girl

Found some time today to record a song for Woody Week. I'm one of the ones who thought the deadline was midnight tonight (Sunday).

I'm just not gonna be able to make the deadline. Been having a lot of fun playing one of my favorite children's songs all week though. "Froggy Went a Courtin'" I was going to do the full Woody version with the "Hey, hey, hey's." I just can't find the energy though. There were 9 little girls over hear last night for my 9yr old's b-day party. They left around 10am today.

Good luck everyone!

Can I still enter next week?

cheers to alll!
loonie! that was wonderful! i have a ukulele bango...i haven't mastered it enough....great job!

Thanks Sillydave
This is a cool competition, learned a ton so far,
I like these competitions
because I dont really know how to express it clearly
but that instead of lurking in the forum and making the odd comment
This competition helps me feel more involved and invested in this community.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Found some time today to record a song for Woody Week. I'm one of the ones who thought the deadline was midnight tonight (Sunday).

YAY! Three big cheers for the First Lady of Woody Week!!!!! :)

Nice playing. Myrnaukelele
Snow should be gone soon, we've nearly lost ours here in Southern Alberta Canada, ahh warm spring days are a comin.

Nice playing. Myrnaukelele
Snow should be gone soon, we've nearly lost ours here in Southern Alberta Canada, ahh warm spring days are a comin.

Thanks ukuloonie! Yes~it's warming up~spring is on the way. Let's hear it for breakup! It's just that we got SO much snow this winter (2nd snowiest on record) it'll be awhile before it all melts away. Hope there won't be too much flooding.

wow you guys, this is just wonderful watching all these clips. Woody would be proud I have no doubt. So many great songs here. Shucks...this judging caper...I have no idea how Christian, Alice and Mim waded through 30+ entries each week. It feels like a bigger challenge to sort them than the challenge itself...he he. Anyway, just awesome folks, just awesome. :)

That was awesome im not a big lover of banjolele's (just a personal choice, then again i said the same about baritones and now i have one) but that sounded really good and loved the scenery behind you, that was a great vid and loved the song, your playing and singing was fab :)

That was awesome im not a big lover of banjolele's (just a personal choice, then again i said the same about baritones and now i have one) but that sounded really good and loved the scenery behind you, that was a great vid and loved the song, your playing and singing was fab :)

Thanks ukeleledaveey~ You did a nice song as well -I thought it was perfect for your style of playing. You have a great strumming style.
The banjolele isn't for everyone. But I do a lot of folk and old-timey music and some country songs just sound good with a banjo. Someday I'll learn to play clawhammer style.

Top Bottom