Today's transition: Bb-C

bongolele

Reaction score
I was trying the Happy Days theme tune, which is surprisingly tricky, I thought it'd be the usual three chord trick.

So there's a fast Bb-C section, and there I am fumbling around trying to quickly switch to the 0003 C fingering when it dawns on me...

The alternative C fingering is just the Bb fingering shifted two frets!

It sounded a lot nicer for this tune too. Now if I could just nail the Dm-Gm transition, I'd be laughing. :rolleyes:

keep working on it and it will come.

Practice at a slower tempo to get the feel of it, then quicken the pace.

Soon you'll be doing it in your sleep - whether you want to or not!

keep uke'in',

I am fumbling around trying to quickly switch to the 0003 C fingering when it dawns on me...

Heh, heh. Ain't it fun when the light comes on?!

I was trying the Happy Days theme tune, which is surprisingly tricky, I thought it'd be the usual three chord trick.

So there's a fast Bb-C section, and there I am fumbling around trying to quickly switch to the 0003 C fingering when it dawns on me...

It sounded a lot nicer for this tune too. Now if I could just nail the Dm-Gm transition, I'd be laughing. :rolleyes:
Nice tip! Thanks! :D

Heh, heh. Ain't it fun when the light comes on?!

Yes it is--especially for those of us who have no previous experience with a stringed instrument. Like why a certain chord, say Am, is fretted the way it is. I already know that there are 3 #'s in the major key of A. So, not fretting the C string makes it a minor. Hey, I'm just thankful I can figure a few things out. :eek:

Now if I could just nail the Dm-Gm transition, I'd be laughing. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't be too bad if you're using correct fingering for Dm..

Dm..........Gm
--0-----------1-(1st)--------------|
--1-(1st)-----3-(3rd)--------------|
--2-(3rd)-----2-(2nd)--------------|
--2-(2nd)-----0--------------------|

Just move all your fingers one string down towards the floor, stretch out the 3rd finger and you're golden!!!

Yeah, that's the Dm-Gm fingering I'm using alright.

The transitions I find tricky are the ones where I don't have a pivot finger. For example, moving from most chords to Em gives me a feeling that I'm 'letting go' of the fretboard.

And with that Dm-Gm none of my fingers stay on the same strings. The one I lean on is my forefinger as I'm sliding it from the E string to the A string. I'll get it eventually.

That's good then, I know the letting go feeling can be disconcerting esp as with the uke your LH is supporting it more than on the guitar.

Are you talking about rolling your index finger down from the E to the A string?? I think that may lead you to have a less than ideal hand position and may make fretting the chord cleanly harder (esp if you have big fingers).

I def make a quick jump from one chord to the other.

I would say you're best off isolating those 2 chords and spend 5 min going back and forth between them, do it a couple of times a day and you'll have it nailed in no time...

infact I had a couple of min free (easter hols ;) ) and did a little video for you - you may find it useful... maybe not.

good luck

infact I had a couple of min free (easter hols ;) ) and did a little video for you - you may find it useful... maybe not.
Hey, thanks for the vid! Nice one. What do you mean 'a few minutes free'? shouldn't you be at the pub or something? ;-)

I'll try that drill out when I get home. I've got to check my Dm fingering actually, looking at how easy you make it looks gives me a bad feeling I'm not fingering that exactly right.

Cheers!

Top Bottom