Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why uke bass cost so much ?

I came up on bass too. It was with some uncertainty that I traded my Applause acoustic towards a U Bass, it had served me well for the last 10 years. But I have no regrets. The U Bass is a whole different animal ( a much easier one to tame) Sounds like an upright, plays like a uke. I also own a Michael Kelly fretless acoustic. Strung with flatwounds it's one of the sweetest sounding acoustics I've heard. I'd have a hard time letting that one go, but still I wouldn't be too surprised to one day see a fretless U bass hanging in its place. Give a U bass a chance, and you'll see the purpose. Many of my guitar playing buddies now want one just for the portability of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenstein View Post
    Bass guitar was the first instrument I "learned" to play.

I now love playing standard ukuleles, but I don't really see any reason to own a bass ukulele.

For acoustic bass, bigger is better, to project sound; and I really don't see the purpose.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenstein View Post
    Bass guitar was the first instrument I "learned" to play.

I now love playing standard ukuleles, but I don't really see any reason to own a bass ukulele.

For acoustic bass, bigger is better, to project sound; and I really don't see the purpose.

Just my opinion.
    I play in theatre pits. There are many times when I'm doubling on electric and upright basses where I just don't have the real estate in the pit to bring both, so I cop everything on electric. I bought the U-Bass specifically to allow me to get a more authentic acoustic sound in a size that is more manageable in a crowded pit situation. Run the U-Bass through the Daring Audio Phat Beam pedal and you can get a sound that the audience probably won't know (or honestly, care) that I'm playing a bass uke.

So for me, it serves a pretty big purpose. Plus, it's fun to bring into a show and have people do a double-take.
    http://www.justmoody.com

Ukes:
    Recording King Concert Resonator
    Koloa KU-600 Soprano
    Koloa KU-550 Baritone
    Kala Bocote Butterfly Tenor
    Boat Paddle M-Style 5 string Concert

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    I am new to the ukulele world, my first one was bought 2 months ago. I found ukulele are fairly priced compared to other instruments such as guitars and mandolins.
    But the price of the U bass really shocks me.
    I have tried acoustic bass guitars in Guitar Center costing around 150$ to 300$ (reasonable to me), but the lowest price U bass is 450$ minimum.
    What is so special about the U bass to justify this price tag ?
    This is my latest project: BAZZUKA #2
    http://youtu.be/Cba5baHL3M0
    please let me know what you think?

i'm not suprised by the price of the U-bass etc as they lovely instruments.

Thread Information