5 Easy Blues Licks 4U

This is Low G tuning, correct?

I am learning from some blues books with CD and its good to have something to practice against (over and over) and then sampling different techniques to spice it up.

Note: I'd like to hear more of a swing on those riffs.

I have a quick question on your slide playing. As a former dobro and lap steel player, how do you get such a clean bottleneck sound on your Applause? It didn't look like you used a nut extender, but no fret sound? I'm impressed.

@AussieAsh: Thanks again.

@SuzukHammer: The Blues tutorials and playalongs on uke4u.com are all recorded in classic re-entrant tuning with high G ( G C E A ).
My covers and improvisations are recorded in dropped D-tuning with a low 4th string ( D G B D' ). I use this tuning on soprano, tenor and baritone.

@xjumper: I didn't change anything on the Ovation. I can't recommend the Ovation Applause. The top is sunken.
I use a rather thick plec ( Jim Dunlop Nylon or Carbon 1mm ) and a glass bottleneck or a Mudslide ( porcelain ).
I hit the strings hard. I dampen the strings that I don't use with fingers of the left hand and with my right hand.
The string tension is higher than usual due to the dropped D-tuning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom