Whitehorse Improvisation

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
I don't practice much, but when I do, this is how I do it. I tend to just start and see what happens. I recorded part of this session. It starts off with a strum I borrowed from James Hill. I don't really know what happens after that.

After I had filmed it, I realised that I seemed to be wearing a cowboy outfit. Those of you who know me will know that this is pretty much what I normally wear. Anyway, I carried on the wild west theme by putting a saloon in the background. No idea where it is though.

Thanks for watching.

Well picked Cowboy, great work. This proves without doubt the therapeutic value of improvisatiing on the mighty uke.

Yes, it is a great way of practicing.

Very impressive, Ken. I'm hoping to develop just a small fraction of that level of improv ability... That was fun to watch!

Once you can improvise, playing the uke, or any other instrument, becomes a lot of fun.

Great! This way of improvising (and not only the white beard) reminds me of the mighty John Fahey, a favorite of mine. Improvisation is a wonderful way of getting to know the instrument. Just play and listen to yourself...and not be afraid of messing up...it's a sure way to learn.

I wish my fiddlin' 'bout was near that pretty.

I agree that just playing and seeing what pops out of the instrument is a lot of fun...it's just that what pops out for me usually isn't worth recording!

John

Very evocative! Perfect marriage of setting and song. I can almost smell the whiskey and hear the clap of horses hooves ... just lovely.

Gunshot wounds, sewage in the streets, the smell of unwashed people, spittoons brimming over ... Those were the days.

I wish my fiddlin' 'bout was near that pretty.

I agree that just playing and seeing what pops out of the instrument is a lot of fun...it's just that what pops out for me usually isn't worth recording!

John

I don't think that's true, John. Lots of people would surprise themselves if they recorded their practice sessions.

Top Bottom