Something VERY special - thought I'd share

Well theres a school of thought which says they are more resonant. I'm more excited about the whole thing to be honest.

Never heard that. Good luck with the build - enjoy.

Looks great. Now I need to consider that Macassar ebony as well. Hmmm....

Well theres a school of thought which says they are more resonant. I'm more excited about the whole thing to be honest.

One piece being more resonate than a two piece top? I would love to see the proof of that school of thought. Reversed kerfed linings are stronger than plain kerfed linings, but if you want the strongest, than you have to use solid linings.

One piece being more resonate than a two piece top? I would love to see the proof of that school of thought. Reversed kerfed linings are stronger than plain kerfed linings, but if you want the strongest, than you have to use solid linings.

Just saying what I've heard. Heck I haven't got a clue whether they are or not! It kinda makes sense to me, the top resonating as one, I don't mind either way to be honest. I'm just happy I'm about to be the proud owner of such a cool uke.

That's interesting, my Ohana CK35 has no kerfs; glue everywhere, but no kerfs!!!

This looks like it's going to be a wonderful instrument and I hope you can keep us updated with pics as the build progresses. Thanks for sharing.

This looks like it's going to be a wonderful instrument and I hope you can keep us updated with pics as the build progresses. Thanks for sharing.

Funny you should ask...here are some more, mainly the stages involved in doing the beautiful koa rosette which will match the binding and end graft. Enjoy!

rosette1.jpgrosette2.jpgrosette3.jpgrosette4.jpg

Congrats on you new build..thank you for sharing pictures..alot more variations in color than my madagascar rosewood...

Congrats on you new build..thank you for sharing pictures..alot more variations in color than my madagascar rosewood...

Thank you Stan, oh and its macassar ebony mate, not madagascar rosewood. Cheers.

Wow, that is cool! Congratulations. That uke is gonna be a keeper!

Jeez! Its moving fast now! The body is almost done and some of the pics show it with some water or alcohol (not sure which) to simulate the finish. The Koa rosette and tailpiece look amazing! He's gonna bind the fingerboard in the same Koa.
fully braced!.jpgsexy body!.jpgkoa rosette.jpgtailpiece.jpg

It all looks and sounds fabulous, Paul! You must be SO excited! :D

Thanks Lesley, yes I must say I am pretty stoked!!! I found out last night its going to have a maple neck. I was originally going to have a mahogany neck but Marshall came across some really nice maple in his workshop so we're going with that. I think the contrasting colours are going to look great and to hear him talk about the bracing he's used and how the various construction elements relate to the sound I was looking for makes me fairly certain its going to sound just as good. This is clearly a guy who knows exactly what he's doing and why!!

neck1.jpgneck2.jpgneck3.jpgUkulele lookin at last lol.jpg

And more.....He's doing the slothead just the way I like them...I'm so impressed with Marshall. Nothing is too much trouble, I've had every question I've asked happily answered and I've really been made to feel a part of things, my suggestions have all been taken on board. Some weren't practical and Marshall took the time to explain why and some are being used and will be a part of the finished instrument. What an amazxing experience!

Top Bottom