Best Starter Ukulele with the Best Intonation for around $50

ZJE123

Reaction score
I know there is probably a thread somewhere with a similar topic. But, specifically, I want to know which Ukulele has the best Intonation for this price range as this is the most important aspect for me. I read a lot about intonation being off on Ukes in this price range. Some people, I guess, can live with it if the overall Uke is good, however, I cannot. Personally, I don't care if the whole ukulele is made of multicolored plastic as long as the Intonation is really good:). I've done a little research and here are some I have found:
Makala Pineapple Ukelele-$47 (this is rated highest on Amazon)
Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele-$53
Mahalo U-200 Economy Soprano Ukulele with Gig Bag-$44
Makala MK-S Soprano Ukulele-$47
Mahalo U-320C Deluxe Concert Ukulele with Gig Bag-$45
Lanikai LU-21 Soprano Ukulele-$54
Stagg Soprano Ukulele - Natural-$50
Kala Makala MK-SD/MBL Dolphin Bridge Soprano Ukulele, Metallic Blue--$47

I've heard that the Dolphins are probably the best around this price range, but I have also read, very rarely though, the the intonation is off. Can someone with experience with one of these tell me which of these Ukes have good intonation? If there are any more someone can recommend, I am open to that too. I'm looking for either a Soprano or a Concert Uke since those two types are most portable. Any help will be appreciated:D!!

Last edited:
As far as intonation goes in that price range it's pretty much a crapshoot. All factory made and each can vary from the rest.
Brand-wise I'd probably stick with Makala or Kala, but there's no guarantee re the intonation and general setup.

The best thing to do if possible is to buy in person after trying out the possibilities.

Take what's below for what it's worth:

My opinion is that none of the ukes in your list are significantly better or worse than any other in that list. In fact, you could put them all in a sack and choose one at random and likely end up with something that will suit you just fine.

That being said, I'd also recommend you not go this way unless you either absolutely have to, or really want to get a completely low-end beater uke.

Double your budget and you're suddenly looking at ukes that do have some substance to them. For instance, at around $100 you could get an Islander, which has a very surprising sound, solid build, and quality QA behind it and is one of the best per-buck ukes you can find. There are also a slew of Kala, Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, Cordoba, and aNueNue ukes around there as well.

At $50 you may well find that uke with great intonation -- but likely not. At least not without a setup that can add 50% - 100% of the cost.

Again, take the above for what it's worth, which in today's economy probably isn't much

As far as intonation goes in that price range it's pretty much a crapshoot. All factory made and each can vary from the rest.
Brand-wise I'd probably stick with Makala or Kala, but there's no guarantee re the intonation and general setup.

The best thing to do if possible is to buy in person after trying out the possibilities.
all that + unless it comes with a set up the action at nut is usually high, and that affects intonation quite a bit.

I would rate them in this order: Kala, Lanikai, Makala, Stagg, Mahalo
There is nothing like trying them in one store. Intonation is only part of the equation. If an instrument has a dull soundboard how can it be adjusted?

all that + unless it comes with a set up the action at nut is usually high, and that affects intonation quite a bit.

Yeah, getting it from someone that does set up will be more important than the final brand. I just ordered 5 Dolphins from Uke Republic and they were all great.

In the past, I've bought a Lanikai and Mahalo from Amazon. The Lanikai was fine, but the Mahalo was the worst piece of junk I've ever played.

I love my Makala Dolphin plastic uke. I bought it from UkeRepublic, which is more than $60 including shipping. But it comes with setup. I think it sounds much better than Lanika soprano (around $60) my friend bought over Amazon.

But please keep in mind that the Dolphin has intonation issue despite the fact that how well the uke is set up. Mine sometime has buzzing issue too. You get what you pay :) But it's very good for beginners though.

Yeah, getting it from someone that does set up will be more important than the final brand. I just ordered 5 Dolphins from Uke Republic and they were all great.

In the past, I've bought a Lanikai and Mahalo from Amazon. The Lanikai was fine, but the Mahalo was the worst piece of junk I've ever played.

In that price range of $50...no question, get a Makala. BUT......make sure it is set up right and the strings are aquila!

I would rate them in this order: Kala, Lanikai, Makala, Stagg, Mahalo
There is nothing like trying them in one store. Intonation is only part of the equation. If an instrument has a dull soundboard how can it be adjusted?

My opinion is that none of the ukes in your list are significantly better or worse than any other in that list. In fact, you could put them all in a sack and choose one at random and likely end up with something that will suit you just fine.

That being said, I'd also recommend you not go this way unless you either absolutely have to, or really want to get a completely low-end beater uke.

Double your budget and you're suddenly looking at ukes that do have some substance to them. For instance, at around $100 you could get an Islander, which has a very surprising sound, solid build, and quality QA behind it and is one of the best per-buck ukes you can find. There are also a slew of Kala, Lanikai, Oscar Schmidt, Cordoba, and aNueNue ukes around there as well.

At $50 you may well find that uke with great intonation -- but likely not. At least not without a setup that can add 50% - 100% of the cost.

Again, take the above for what it's worth, which in today's economy probably isn't much

Thank you all for your quick and informational responses, I really appreciate your help! I do understand that if I raise my price range, I would get a much better product. However, I just spent a lot of money on a bass guitar amp and I don't believe it would be wise of me to spend more than $60 on a Uke. Either that, or I could wait until I have more money to spend. I do, however, plan on buying new strings right away (except the Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele since it comes pre-strung with Aquila strings) since new strings are only $6. So it seems as though any of these would be a good choice. Right now, if I had to choose, I would get the Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele since Kala is generally a great brand at this price range and it comes pre-strung with good strings and has geared tuners. If I'm not mistaken, Makala and Kala are either the same company, or closely joined together somehow?

Also, I don't plan on buying a Ukulele to play live shows or anything, just something to play with as a new instrument to learn. If I were serious enough on buying a uke to play live shows on, my price range would be more like $150-$200. But as far as what I play on a day to day basis, I am in no need of one of those for now, maybe in the future. With that said, I still want it to be of good quality even if I'm just playing around on it.

There are plenty of music stores near where I live so I could probably find one of these to try out before I buy a Uke. You guys are saying that if I buy it from a retailer that sets it up for you, it will sound much better than buying it from a regular retailer such as Amazon? Do any of you have recommendations for online retailers that set it up for you?

Last edited:

I love my Makala Dolphin plastic uke. I bought it from UkeRepublic, which is more than $60 including shipping. But it comes with setup. I think it sounds much better than Lanika soprano (around $60) my friend bought over Amazon.

But please keep in mind that the Dolphin has intonation issue despite the fact that how well the uke is set up. Mine sometime has buzzing issue too. You get what you pay :) But it's very good for beginners though.

I looked on Uke Republic for some Ukes and I found the Dolphin, that comes with Aquila strings and set-up for $45 without shipping. Is this better than a "non-setup" Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele? Also, how much did you pay for shipping if you don't mind me asking?

I looked on Uke Republic for some Ukes and I found the Dolphin, that comes with Aquila strings and set-up for $45 without shipping. Is this better than a "non-setup" Kala KA-15S Mahogany Soprano Ukulele? Also, how much did you pay for shipping if you don't mind me asking?

No. Not at all. I think the total was $61 or something. I haven't tried Kala KA-15S, so I am not sure if the setup Dolphin is better than non-setup Kala. But tone-wise, I think laminated Mahogany (here is my friend's Lanikai LU-21 Soprano) gives a very punchy (or even barky) sound, while my plastic Dolphin is warmer.

Hope this helps :)

No. Not at all. I think the total was $61 or something. I haven't tried Kala KA-15S, so I am not sure if the setup Dolphin is better than non-setup Kala. But tone-wise, I think laminated Mahogany (here is my friend's Lanikai LU-21 Soprano) gives a very punchy (or even barky) sound, while my plastic Dolphin is warmer.

Hope this helps :)

Thank You!! Yes, this gives me some insight into the tone of the instrument, I definitely think buying one already set up is better than one that isn't, not matter how good the non-setup one is. I think I might be leaning towards the Dolphin, but if someone else here could give me a little insight into the Kala KA-15S that would be very helpful. Again, thanks a lot for your help! Do they ship from Hawaii? Then that would explain the $15 shipping cost. Here it is now: http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makala-dolphin-soprano-mk-s

UkeRepulic is based in Georgia, I think. To be frank, the shipping cost makes many of my friends hesitate to get ukes from him. They don't like paying that high shipping. :)

I completely agree

UkeRepulic is based in Georgia, I think. To be frank, the shipping cost makes many of my friends hesitate to get ukes from him. They don't like paying that high shipping. :)

Another person who sells ukes online and has great service with setup is Mim. Here's the link to her site: http://www.mimsukes.com/mimsukes/websales/

She has both lanikai and kala along with others. You might want to call or email her.

Both Mim and UkeRepublic are UU members. :)

I completely agree

Again, thanks for all of your help!! Also, if I were to increase my price range to say $80, what would be a good uke for that price? On Uke Republic, there is one for $68 called the Eddy Finn mahogany soprano EF-5S, and if it is that much better than the ones I am looking at, I'll swing the $68+shipping. And if I really increase my price range, they have the Makala MK-C Concert Traditional Style for $85 or the Makala Pineapple Player Pack for $89. All of these can be found here:
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makala-mkc-concert-traditional-style
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makala-pineapple-player-pack
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/eddy-finn
I would wonder if shipping would be cheaper for me since I live in New Jersey, which isn't THAT far from Georgia.

Last edited:
May Eddy forgive me but I think I'd pass on the Finn. I bought the Kala-KA15S sight unseen over the net for my first and recommend it highly as I would the Dolphin though I've never played one.

If you're looking in the $89 range now just stretch a little further and get the Islander laminate for about a hundred bucks. That one should last beyond the "beginner" models for quality.

May Eddy forgive me but I think I'd pass on the Finn. I bought the Kala-KA15S sight unseen over the net for my first and recommend it highly as I would the Dolphin though I've never played one.

If you're looking in the $89 range now just stretch a little further and get the Islander laminate for about a hundred bucks. That one should last beyond the "beginner" models for quality.

Did you buy it from someone who sets it up for you? I really would rather not go up to $100 for a starter if the Kala-KA15S is pretty good as a starter. I found it on amazon for $53 with the aquila strings. This seems like a great deal but i'd rather buy it from someone who sets it up for you. However neither Uke Republic nor mimsukes sells one.

Did you buy it from someone who sets it up for you?

No, at the time I bought it on Amazon - wasn't smart enough to know about "setup" then. It's not bad though, but if I were to do it again I'd buy my first Uke with proper setup so I wouldn't be guessing if it was good or bad.

If I were buying my first again I'd probably go with a setup Dolphin just because you can find one online from a dealer that will do the setup.

Top Bottom