Best Starter Ukulele with the Best Intonation for around $50

No, at the time I bought it on Amazon - wasn't smart enough to know about "setup" then. It's not bad though, but if I were to do it again I'd buy my first Uke with proper setup so I wouldn't be guessing if it was good or bad.

If I were buying my first again I'd probably go with a setup Dolphin just because you can find one online from a dealer that will do the setup.

Thanks, then maybe I'll go with the Dolphin from Uke Republic, unless someone else knows where I could get the Kala-KA15S already setup? Maybe one with a little less shipping? (I checked, it's $15 shipping for the entire country) Or maybe if someone can tell me how I would be able to set it up myself and buy the KA15S from amazon for $53 and FREE shipping.

Last edited:
Try browsing elderly.com and sort by price. If it's in stock, it usually ships for free. They don't usually offer set up of entry level instruments, but they specifically note in the decriptions if they do not set up that particular model. The kala isn't set upbuying I saw a shopworn/second concert sized lanikai, hulala, lanikai pineapple, and a few makai's in your price range that should come with a set up. If in doubt, give them a call and ask. I've purchased two ukes from them and have been happy with both experiences.

Good luck on your hunt!

Try browsing elderly.com and sort by price. If it's in stock, it usually ships for free. They don't usually offer set up of entry level instruments, but they specifically note in the decriptions if they do not set up that particular model. The kala isn't set upbuying I saw a shopworn/second concert sized lanikai, hulala, lanikai pineapple, and a few makai's in your price range that should come with a set up. If in doubt, give them a call and ask. I've purchased two ukes from them and have been happy with both experiences.

Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks for all of your help! Unfortunately none of the ukuleles I am considering come with a setup on that site. I will keep my eye open. After searching the Internet I believe I will go with the Dolphin. My new question is where is a good online retailer that will set one up for me with the aquilla strings for a good price and a good price on shipping (because Uke Republic's shipping is really expensive)? Or can someone tell me how to set it up because, with the 15 % off on Amazon and free shipping, I could get one there for a pretty cheap price as long as I can set it up myself.

Last edited:
You didn't say what size you wanted....my guess it's a soprano though.. if you get a uke at least in the hundred dollar range or above, You will get a significant way better uke..
try to buy in the marketpace, as you can get a better price for a level higher...Good Luck..... Oscar Schmidt OU2

You didn't say what size you wanted....my guess it's a soprano though.. if you get a uke at least in the hundred dollar range or above, You will get a significant way better uke..
try to buy in the marketpace, as you can get a better price for a level higher...Good Luck..... Oscar Schmidt OU2

Really, I could go for either a soprano or concert, nothing larger. As I would love to be able to afford a Uke at $100, unfortunately, at this time, I cannot. The top of my price range would be $60 and the dolphin with shipping is a dollar over on Uke Nation. it would be even nicer if there were another seller that will ship it for less than $15 as well as set it up for me.

Thanks for all of your help! Unfortunately none of the ukuleles I am considering come with a setup on that site. I will keep my eye open. After searching the Internet I believe I will go with the Dolphin. My new question is where is a good online retailer that will set one up for me with the aquilla strings for a good price and a good price on shipping (because Uke Republic's shipping is really expensive)? Or can someone tell me how to set it up because, with the 15 % off on Amazon and free shipping, I could get one there for a pretty cheap price as long as I can set it up myself.

News Flash - you can't have it all! Quality, Price, Service - pick two.

You seem to expect Amazon's price, Elderly's delivery charge and a uke that is stocked by Uke Republic and oh, set up for free.

The largest flat rate box ships USPS for more than $15 and a uke won't fit in it, so how Uke Republic's $15 is "really expensive" is beyond me.

Really, I could go for either a soprano or concert, nothing larger. As I would love to be able to afford a Uke at $100, unfortunately, at this time, I cannot. The top of my price range would be $60 and the dolphin with shipping is a dollar over on Uke Nation. it would be even nicer if there were another seller that will ship it for less than $15 as well as set it up for me.

I purchased a dolphin as gift from alohau.com. They do set up and shipping is $12 but no Aquila strings included.

ETA: I think you should consider the hulala soprano at elderly for $10 over your budget. It would come set up and have a really nice padded gigbag, too. I know the graphics may put you off, but they seem to be a promising alternative to the kala and lanikai laminates. I have a laminate anuenue (their parent company) that I purchased from elderly that I enjoy playing a lot.

Last edited:
Believe me...get the set up when you buy a uke...you pay more, but it plays and sounds better...You get what you pay for...it could be the deciding factor if it sits or gets played..
try sending a uke to get a set up..it may cost as much as your uke or a lot more...

I purchased a dolphin as gift from alohau.com. They do set up and shipping is $12 but no Aquila strings included.

ETA: I think you should consider the hulala soprano at elderly for $10 over your budget. It would come set up and have a really nice padded gigbag, too. I know the graphics may put you off, but they seem to be a promising alternative to the kala and lanikai laminates. I have a laminate anuenue (their parent company) that I purchased from elderly that I enjoy playing a lot.

Believe me...get the set up when you buy a uke...you pay more, but it plays and sounds better...You get what you pay for...it could be the deciding factor if it sits or gets played..
try sending a uke to get a set up..it may cost as much as your uke or a lot more...

I have decided to buy the Dolphin from Uke Republic because it is a good Uke for a good price. Even though the shipping is more than I would ideally like, I think for a total of $62, the Dolphin will be a great uke to start out with. Now I just need go decide on a color :). Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a rather large stable of ukes. I've bought about 15 Dolphins, used as well as new. None of them were set up, and all of them are spectacular in tone and action. Intonation is not 100% at the 12th fret, but it's not far off. I prefer Martin M600 Fluorocarbons on mine rather than Aquila, but this is a personal choice. My Dolphins outplay all the Kala's I've ever owned and most of the other high end ukes as well.

A big reason why its 50usd is because the intonation is a crap shoot. The cheapest guaranteed good intonation ukulele you'll find is a flea.

Top Bottom