Song Help Request Minor Swing - Django Reinhardt

Howlin Hobbit

Reaction score
I'm not usually one to ask for tabs, but I really love the tune and would like to know if anyone can tab out this version of Minor Swing.

I've been able to figure out the basic chord progression and some of the single note bits but the rest (especially the chord forms as he goes up and down the neck some) just have me flummoxed.

TIA to any of you clever folk who can actually tab!

HH, I think because of the age differences and generation gaps here on UU, there won't be too many members who are familiar with Django Reinhardt. Or maybe not. My two sense. Anyhow, for those who are interested, a short autobiography and discography can be found here.

Have you tried contacting him (Kent Knorr)? He has a web site as well as My Space site.

Last edited:
HH, I think because of the age differences and generation gaps here on UU, there won't be too many members who are familiar with Django Reinhardt.
Well, familiar or not, I thought that someone with the right ear and tabbing skills could watch the video and turn something out for this.

Besides, according to the recent survey, there's a lot more old farts on here (like me) than one would initially expect. :rolleyes:

Have you tried contacting him (Kent Knorr)?
Yes, but he kind of shined me on. "I don't play this the same way twice" and such. I mainly want to get some of the chord bits up the neck and, even if someone tabbed it note for note -- which would be way cool -- I'd undoubtedly end up playing it a bit different.

I'd like to call that my "style" but I suspect it's actual my "lack of skills."

I'm still going to hold out some hope that someone will take up the challenge.

Took a quick listen after our phone call Hobbit. Sounds like you've got the single note stuff happening real good.

Dm = 2210 hammering on to 1st fret with the index finger
single note runs leading to Dm = 7555, 7558, 7555
Repeat

Gmin = 0231 hammering to first fret again as appropriate
A7 = 0100, 2434 to Dm = 7555 to 5585 or 5555 (with upstroke to accent the C note?? Mess around to find what works for your ear)

More single notes then:
E7 2X = 1202, 1202, then the 3 A7 inversions = 0100, 2434, 6757

The diminished chords are picked in the order of 4th string, second, first and third
chords = 2323, 4545, 6767

Some of the above repeats.

Last chord = Dm = [10]9[10][12]

Hope that helps.

Everytime I think I'm pretty hot s** on my uke I see a video by someone that reminds me otherwise...

WOW!

I love Django and would love to learn how to play Minor Swing as well! Where you able to find tabs for the song? If so, please contact me....please please please! My friend is learning to play the violin like Stephen and that is the first song we are going to play. Thanks a million! Oh and my email address is foreveramped@gmail.com. Thanks :)

I too love this amazing artist. Thank you for posting the request. I am glad to know there are others who share some of my music interests.

Here is the chord box sheet:
gr_minor.gif

The "%" signs mean to repeat the previous box (or measure).

As for the melody lines, you'll just need to listen to them and figure up the solo.

In 1980, with my first weeks wages I placed an order at Wayfarers Gramophone Record Shop in Southport for a copy of a Django double album with the Hot Club Du Paris. I was 18 and always loved jazz, thanks to a father with eclectic tastes (he was trying to wean me off Hendrix!). Since then I have avidly collected his works (Django, that is). There is no way on this earth that you can't be moved by his playing. I've tried to emulate his guitar work and even went to the trouble of taping two of my fingers back to no avail!

For those of you Djangophiles amongst us could I advise you to hunt out the work of Biréli Lagrène. I saw him years ago when he was still a youngster, as was I. Check out one of his first albums "Routes to Django", then put your guitar down and burn it.

It's been lovely reading that folks still love Django's playing. I'm off to enjoy a lovely glass of Chardonnay now.

I LOVE Django and am planning on going to Djangofest in New York this year! Thanks!

I've tried to emulate his guitar work and even went to the trouble of taping two of my fingers back to no avail!

That is awesome!!!

To be honest, I've never tried playing any Django...if only for the overwhelming feeling of inadequacy! I'll give it a go tonight...love this song.

I have at least 3 different versions of Minor Swing by Django:

1. Opening theme is played on violin (undoubtedly by Stephane) matched by Django's acoustic guitar w/ a fabulous bend on each last note
  2. Opening theme is played on clarinet w/ matching electric guitar backed by drums
  3. Opening theme played on clarinet w/ matching electric guitar w/o drums

No doubt there are countless more versions, but for a completist such as myself, Django drives me nuts!

And for an unbelievable Django-esque band, don't miss Hot Club of San Francisco!

~Michael

At the risk of sounding like amazon.com, if you love Django, you might like Pearl Django - a great band out of Tacoma, WA.

www.pearldjango.com

Ahhh, I love this song :)

I wish I knew the fingerpicking bits, though.

This is kind of an old thread, but i recently stumbled across this version:
Minor Swing - Mathias CHANON VARREAU

It is a very nice and (most of the time) easy to play version.
Tried to figure out the picking for those who are interested. Goes something like this:

A-------3-7--3-7-----8-12---8-12-----11-14---11-14--15-14-12
E----s5-----5-----s10-----10-------s12------12------------------------
C-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
G-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A-----8-12---8-12----3-7--3-7-----11-14--11-14--15-14-12
E--s10-----10------s5----5-----s12------12----------------------
C----------------------------------------------------------------------
G----------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe someone can figure out what he does next :) I'm way to tired, but I would love it :)

Happy strummin,

Dodo

Top Bottom