Risa's Uke-Solid

(the) Indigo Getdown

Reaction score
Continuing in my quest to find the perfect electric ukulele (for me), I've been researching Risa's curiously built Uke-Solid series today. I dismissed them before as a weird novelty, but under a closer inspection, they appear to be well-designed, if a bit unorthodox, instruments. Anyway who's had experience with a Uke-Solid care to weigh in on their strengths and weaknesses?

Thanks!

are they heavy?

Are they heavy is my initial concern?

I play Kala archtops and like their lightness.

I think the champ may be the Kamoa Evolve that's coming out.

Please search UU, tons of threads about that uke, including a Dec 2011 complete review by stevepetergal.

I love mine.

I love mine. Started with a soprano, then got my preferred size (concert), and sold the soprano. I'll never get rid of my concert!

http://ukulele.de/shop/images/product_images/info_images/329_0.jpg

I have this one. It is heavy for a uke, but nothing compared to any solid body guitar. I do use a wide strap with mine. The quality is very good and it sounds great, more a guitar sound than a ukulele. Considering the build quality, they are not expensive compared to other ukes.

Attachments

• 329_0.jpg
    329_0.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Please search UU, tons of threads about that uke, including a Dec 2011 complete review by stevepetergal.

I love mine.
Hmm, okay. I did a search before I made the thread, but didn't find much helpful info. Perhaps a different keyword is in order? Oddly enough I did find Steve's review - in a Google search, go figure.

Any particular reason why you love yours so?

I love mine. Started with a soprano, then got my preferred size (concert), and sold the soprano. I'll never get rid of my concert!
Nice! Concert has been my preferred uke size, but if I end up going with a Risa, I'll probably try out a tenor size.

http://ukulele.de/shop/images/product_images/info_images/329_0.jpg

I have this one. It is heavy for a uke, but nothing compared to any solid body guitar. I do use a wide strap with mine. The quality is very good and it sounds great, more a guitar sound than a ukulele. Considering the build quality, they are not expensive compared to other ukes.
Very cool looking uke. What scale is yours, I wonder?

It is a tenor size and scale. Very smooth fretboard to play. Sustain is forever - probably the case with many solids. I ordered mine from Germany. They are about $750US shipped and it took about a week to get here - faster than I expected. Light gauge steel guitar strings are suggested. An expensive option (which is very beautiful and high quality) is Manndolin (Jonathan Mann). He makes a beautiful solid body uke, most per orders, but sometimes he builds one to sell on the open market. I've not played one but talked to Jon and others about his instruments. Google "mandolin" for all info. Hope this info is useful.

I think there's some confusion here. Do you mean the steel string electrics or the uke solid sticks? If you're getting the stick version, please ignore suggestions to put on steel strings. ;)

I had an older concert version with friction tuners and it was not at all comfortable for my hands, but I like the tenor version I got at the end of last year. I might have to send it back for warranty repair though, as the pickup isn't properly grounded. If I play on an amp using battery power, it's fine, if I plug in, I get a hum, and I can't exactly rewire the apartment when it's the only instrument having this issue. :(

I'm just putting it off though...because otherwise it's great. I don't want to send it back. Here's hoping Rigk can give me a solution that doesn't include sending it back.

My brother's Risa steel electric tenor "bean" will be in any day from Germany. I'll post my impressions.
He also considered getting one of the new Kamoas, but thought they looked too much like a "baby guitar". Yes, the Risa is ugly...
...but ugly in a cool-sort-of-way :cool:

Risa%u00252520Bean%2520Electric.JPG

To report on my hum problem, after talking to Rigk, and some UUers here and some friends locally, we've figured out I'm in a Bermuda triangle of hum. It won't do it on all instruments, but get the right mix, and it will. I haven't tested this yet, but it looks like a quick fix would be plugging into an effects pedal with a metal case, which I have. Touch the metal case to my skin, and loose the hum. It seems crazy enough to work. For great science! :)

If you live in a house not built in the 50s, chances are you won't get the hum at all. You'll just get the sweet sustain and super-fast action.

Top Bottom