any SoCal Mya-Moe super soprano owners out there?

janeray1940

Reaction score
Aloha UUers! After lots of consideration, Mya-Moe has made it to the top of the list of candidates for my longneck soprano uke... but I'm still a little hesitant about the whole "unknown factor" of buying a uke that you can't try out in a shop before committing to it.

So... are there any Mya-Moe super soprano owners here in Southern California who would be willing to meet up so I can give yours a test-drive? I've already had the privilege of trying a M-M concert resonator, and while I LOVED it, it's a bit of a different animal than what I'm looking at. (Here's what I'm leaning toward.)

I'm in Santa Monica but will gladly travel for this scouting mission.

Mahalo!

I'm not in SoCal, but I do own one, and I don't think you'll regret it. :)

I'm not in SoCal, but I do own one, and I don't think you'll regret it. :)

I should clarify - the only concern I have about regretting it is that I'm going to find the concert neck too big for some of the 5-fret first-position stretches I do... which I can do on my soprano but not my Kamaka concert, or the Koaloha longneck soprano I recently road-tested.

Any chance you happen to have either of those and can comment about how the M-M feels in comparison? :)

Jane, I have a MM super soprano. While I can't help you try it out (unless a trip to Wisconsin is in your plans), I can perhaps help in another way. I also have small hands, so if you are unable to try one in person, send me what finger positions you want to test, and I will take pics of my hands doing those (or attempting to). Or we could Skype if that would be easier for you. That might at least give you an idea.

Jane, I have a MM super soprano. While I can't help you try it out (unless a trip to Wisconsin is in your plans), I can perhaps help in another way. I also have small hands, so if you are unable to try one in person, send me what finger positions you want to test, and I will take pics of my hands doing those (or attempting to). Or we could Skype if that would be easier for you. That might at least give you an idea.

Hey thanks! The two things I keep running into that I can't do on concert-scale ukes are pulloffs/hammer-ons from the 5th to the 1st fret, and the first-position Bb with my pinky on the 5th fret/first string (I'm not even sure what that chord is - I think it's still Bb - but I use it a lot). If you can try those out for me that would be great!

Hey Jane, I am not that great with hammer ons and pull offs, so the Bb will have to do. I was able to reach the 5th fret with my pinky. I have included a photo of that. I also included photos of the frets of a Kamaka soprano next to the frets of the Mya Moe Super Soprano so you can see the differences. I hope that helps some. Let me know if you can think of anything else.
Diane

d50eaed6.jpg

fd4ce91e.jpg

6d715acb.jpg

Thank you so much Diane, this is really helpful! Your Bb-with-pinky-on-5th looks a lot like mine - just *barely* able to get past that fret. But it looks manageable. I did find out that the Mya-Moe super soprano scale length is 1/4" shorter than my Kamaka concert, which may be just enough to make that reach easier.

Let me know if you can think of anything else.

Well, I would *love* to see a shot of your Mya-Moe - the whole thing :) Looks like a real beauty.

Thank you so much Diane, this is really helpful! Your Bb-with-pinky-on-5th looks a lot like mine - just *barely* able to get past that fret. But it looks manageable. I did find out that the Mya-Moe super soprano scale length is 1/4" shorter than my Kamaka concert, which may be just enough to make that reach easier.

Well, I would *love* to see a shot of your Mya-Moe - the whole thing :) Looks like a real beauty.

I was actually surprised on how hard that stretch actually was. It didn't sound like a tough stretch until I tried it. Glad that helped.

You can see pics of the Mya Moe in this thread:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?55006-Mya-Moe-Master-Grade-Myrtle-Super-Soprano-lt-SOLD-gt

I got it from Eugene Ukulele several months ago. Mojo included.

I was actually surprised on how hard that stretch actually was. It didn't sound like a tough stretch until I tried it. Glad that helped.

You can see pics of the Mya Moe in this thread:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?55006-Mya-Moe-Master-Grade-Myrtle-Super-Soprano-lt-SOLD-gt

I got it from Eugene Ukulele several months ago. Mojo included.

Ohhhhhh what a gorgeous uke, and you got the mojo as part of the deal! Nice :)

Thanks for the link, and again for the pictures. I am thisclose to pulling out my credit card and handing my down payment over to the Mya-Moe folks. Must... use... self... control...

You know they make pineapples too. ;)

I do know! That was a tough call for me - but once I decided on mango instead of koa, I figured I should just go with something *totally* different. I never think that way - I stick with what I know and love.

I fear this may be the gateway to UAS!

What is the difference in scale length between a soprano and super soprano?
That might help you make a decision about playability.

What is the difference in scale length between a soprano and super soprano?
That might help you make a decision about playability.

Mya-Moe's scale length for soprano is 13.5", super soprano 14.75". Kamaka's soprano is the same, but their concert scale is 15" - so I'm hoping the slightly smaller length on the M-M will help make the reach a bit easier as compared to the Kamaka, where I can *almost* make it but usually end up on the fret wire.

Not sure if their scale length is shorter,I don't think it is, but the body is smaller and thinner than my other tenors.

The ease of the fretboard will make up for any space challenges you think you may have imo. It plays like buddah!

Not sure if their scale length is shorter,I don't think it is, but the body is smaller and thinner than my other tenors.

The ease of the fretboard will make up for any space challenges you think you may have imo. It plays like buddah!

It's interesting that according to the specs I was given, the Mya-Moe soprano is the same scale length as the Kamaka, but the concert scale length is .25" shorter. Not sure about the tenors.

I'm not an expert on scale lengths; I just know both my tenor s/l are the same. The main aspect that I really like on the MM is the action, intonation is spot on and barre chords are so much easier. I've played a lot of stringed instruments, this one is the only one that has come close to the playing ease of my Breedlove CM( First one made)guitar.

Eventually, I'd like to go with a Moore Bettah or Devine. But the MM will stay as part of the family.

The main aspect that I really like on the MM is the action, intonation is spot on

I'm happy to hear this, yet again. This is one of the reasons I'm going with Mya-Moe - the intonation has to be perfect on the next uke that comes into my house. I can say the same for my Kamaka pineapple but nothing else I've ever owned or tried out has ever come close!

Top Bottom