"Eleventh Season of the Ukulele Contest"

I will repent and not Play Disney after next week, after playing the blues there is no turning back.:D

That was some pretty cool singing I listened to it a few times

Great job Mo! YOu get the 5% bonus for an original and some good vibes for making me chuckle. I tell you folks, right out of the gate the first two songs in the contest illustrate just how much variation there can be within the 12-bar blues format!

Ooops - replied to the wrong post 'cause it quoted Mo's vid. LOL Long week and it's only Sunday!

John

Last edited:
Ragged and Dirty by Willie Brown:

Great job on an old standard. Ragged and Dirty is one of those blues songs every good blues man should have in his back pocket!

Just FYI for all concerned...this one skates kind of along the edge of family-friendly. I'll allow it but if my grandson starts singing "what in the h311 do I want with you" I'm going to leave him on your doorstep... LOL

John

Hey folks - we have some good examples of a variety of 12-bar stuff now. Here's an original that I wrote a year or so ago - 12-bar blues and played on the prize uke! Obviously, I can't win, but this is an example of 12-bar blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109N0uPMrjk

(Edit to add - Wow-no pressure or anything - nothing like having John Mayer playing an acoustic number come up in the "related videos"... LOL)

Also, I've created a playlist for the contest. If you submit an entry and don't see it in here after a day or two send me a PM - work is kind of crazy right now. You want to make sure your video gets in the playlist because that's what I'll be judging!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109N0uPMrjk&list=PL725036DDEB3CB4C9&feature=view_all

John

Last edited:
Hi John.
Thx for the kudos. Your little guy is most welcome. Be warned, though: when our boy was two, he could have passed for an Irish sailor without prob$ems by language.
Great job on an old standard. Ragged and Dirty is one of those blues songs every good blues man should have in his back pocket!

Just FYI for all concerned...this one skates kind of along the edge of family-friendly. I'll allow it but if my grandson starts singing "what in the h311 do I want with you" I'm going to leave him on your doorstep... LOL

John

Hi John.
Thx for the kudos. Your little guy is most welcome. Be warned, though: when our boy was two, he could have passed for an Irish sailor without prob$ems by language.

Heh, heh. So, should I see him if I need a bottle of whiskey?... LOL

with apologies to all the lumberjacks...

Wow that was absolutely fantastic and im a big lover of the kazoo to :), that was might mighty fine and i loved the ending to, im finding this challenge real hard, but determind not to give in lol hopefully ican find a song anyway jon top notch as ever :worship:

John,

Great challenge this week! I have been itching to play the blues on ukulele. Scratch that, I've been itching to learn to play blues on ukulele. I've had the "How To Play Blues Ukulele" ebook from UkuleleHunt on my bed stand for months. I was planning to dive into it NEXT WEEK. I have a big show this Saturday I need to prepare for, along with dealing with life itself which selfishly steals the time I set aside for music.

The few entries I've seen so far this week have been amazing and will serve as inspiration as I learn the blues. I have a song in mind and perhaps I'll embarrass myself and enter as a "work in progress".

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean,

I think I've spotted your problem. In my experience I find that I don't learn much from books left on the bed stand. I find that I have to slip them under my pillow and sleep on them... LOL

Looking forward to your entry if you get one in. (BTW, in case you haven't noticed, pretty much all of my vids are "works in progress." )

John,

Great challenge this week! I have been itching to play the blues on ukulele. Scratch that, I've been itching to learn to play blues on ukulele. I've had the "How To Play Blues Ukulele" ebook from UkuleleHunt on my bed stand for months. I was planning to dive into it NEXT WEEK. I have a big show this Saturday I need to prepare for, along with dealing with life itself which selfishly steals the time I set aside for music.

The few entries I've seen so far this week have been amazing and will serve as inspiration as I learn the blues. I have a song in mind and perhaps I'll embarrass myself and enter as a "work in progress".

Cheers,

Sean

Hi everyone, phewie what a challenge this weeks task has been to me, what with having to stick to the 12 bar blues formula, really made my noggin hurt, as i just couldnt grasp the idea, what with no musical mind in my head lol. Anyway i have tried to write my own blues song and i really hope it is in the 12 bar format, god i feel like i have been doing algebra back at school, hopefully though i have learned something through this process,if not the ukes are going on the fire :).
So here is my entry and i have written straight from the heart and i hope i am not leaving myself exposed ( in a emotional context)

Hi everyone, phewie what a challenge this weeks task has been to me, what with having to stick to the 12 bar blues formula, really made my noggin hurt, as i just couldnt grasp the idea, what with no musical mind in my head lol. Anyway i have tried to write my own blues song and i really hope it is in the 12 bar format, god i feel like i have been doing algebra back at school, hopefully though i have learned something through this process,if not the ukes are going on the fire :).
So here is my entry and i have written straight from the heart and i hope i am not leaving myself exposed ( in a emotional context)

Dude. Brilliant. Excellent job. I feel like you need a hug. Go get one and be proud of your work!

Brilliant Daveey - great song and good job! You get the 5% bonus for an original song, too.

Many,many thanks reader mo for your wonderful words im no way near your standard yet, hopefully one day :)
John thanks my man :) i was worried i wasnt going to get it right, but i can sigh with relief now lol, thanks for your kind words and support means a lot, it seemed very daunting to me at the start i thought i wasnt going to be able to participate, but i just went up to the loft i had the words written on sunday, and printed off loads of old blues tunes and just studied them and just strummed a while and it sort of fell into place and then i played it back and counted the bars and seemed roughly right although after one verse i have missed the turn around E but that was the only mistake i hopefully made in that take lol. i did record it on my soprano as well, which was tough as the E chord is my dreaded chord but it came out alright(ish) anyway thanks for this weeks challenge it has hopefully opened my eyes and ears and get the old grey matter going, cheers and hope you submit one as well :)

p.s. sorry for getting the week wrong in my introduction all the numbers confused me, 12 bar blues, week 11 lol i got it wrong :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom