"Eleventh Season of the Ukulele Contest"

Many,many thanks reader mo for your wonderful words im no way near your standard yet, hopefully one day :)
John thanks my man :) i was worried i wasnt going to get it right, but i can sigh with relief now lol, thanks for your kind words and support means a lot, it seemed very daunting to me at the start i thought i wasnt going to be able to participate, but i just went up to the loft i had the words written on sunday, and printed off loads of old blues tunes and just studied them and just strummed a while and it sort of fell into place and then i played it back and counted the bars and seemed roughly right although after one verse i have missed the turn around E but that was the only mistake i hopefully made in that take lol. i did record it on my soprano as well, which was tough as the E chord is my dreaded chord but it came out alright(ish) anyway thanks for this weeks challenge it has hopefully opened my eyes and ears and get the old grey matter going, cheers and hope you submit one as well :)

p.s. sorry for getting the week wrong in my introduction all the numbers confused me, 12 bar blues, week 11 lol i got it wrong :)

Davey, that was fantastic!
I think the whole "from the heart" thing is the best thing you can do. Ain't nobody can argue with them ukulele blues!
Better make some space for a blue dolphin in that flat...

hey Dave, that was really good mate. Sheez, you're turning into the songwriting machine...I haven't written one for near on 18months, let alone 3 of high standard in three weeks brother. And lyrically you're just blowing us away. Talk about hard-hitting and confronting... well done my friend, that blues worked a treat and sounded great. I agree with Mo, be confident man, you're doing some work of serious quality. :)

thanks you guys for the kind words about the song I did. For what it's worth John, I'm not happy with it and so I deleted it just now. :eek: Instead I learnt a different tune this morning which I'd rather enter. Here it is, warts and all. It's an old tune from the jug band tradition, "Blues In The Bottle", lots of fun

This song is one of the most popular or Rev Gary Davis' Holy Blues.
The term "Holy Blues" was created to describe the style of Rev Gary Davis.
The style of the song is blues orientated yet the message is religious.

A great live version of the song by Rev Gary Davis on a 12 string guitar and
of course anything the Rev. does then the Grateful Dead have to do as well.

Heavy one. Great one. Muchas Gracias. Way to set the mood, Rob.

Hi everyone, phewie what a challenge this weeks task has been to me, what with having to stick to the 12 bar blues formula, really made my noggin hurt, as i just couldnt grasp the idea, what with no musical mind in my head lol. Anyway i have tried to write my own blues song and i really hope it is in the 12 bar format, god i feel like i have been doing algebra back at school, hopefully though i have learned something through this process,if not the ukes are going on the fire :).
So here is my entry and i have written straight from the heart and i hope i am not leaving myself exposed ( in a emotional context)

Wow, Davey. Really good. A heartfelt, sad blues song, and no, I didn't bother counting the bars. Great one.

thanks you guys for the kind words about the song I did. For what it's worth John, I'm not happy with it and so I deleted it just now. :eek: Instead I learnt a different tune this morning which I'd rather enter. Here it is, warts and all. It's an old tune from the jug band tradition, "Blues In The Bottle", lots of fun

Hee hee. Fun. Great foot tapping, tambourine, and rattle ring percussion! You bottled up them blues, Jon! Gracias.

I put up my response video over on the 9th season thread.

Now back to work learning how to get these blues out of my heart and into my fingers...

Wow wow wow :worship: Jon that was fantastic, i loved your woodcutter blues, but this is awesome, you certainly are a fantastic uke man, such talent and you give us all inspiration and although your a uke god your still humble to mingle with us mear mortals and give us encouragement and spread positivity. thanks for all your support mate really really appreciate it .

@Peewee - Thanks so much Peewee,really appreciate your constant support and encouragement and congrats on getting a placing last week, i feel blessed to hang out on line with all you top ukers.I don't think the dolphin will be coming his way my friend, there is to many superior players/singers than me, if we made a comparison using English football(soccer) I am a non league team compared to the Man Utd's and Chelsea's that are on here :) but it is great to get encouragement etc, from those that are far superior to me. But I am genuinely touched when you think my entry was that good, now I ma looking forward to seeing your song, thanks so much my man.

@Ralf - Thanks so so much Ralf like Jon and everyone else you are such a star for you encouragement and support really appreciate it, It is so nice to get feedback from those who i hope to one day be near their standard. ( I havent forgotten the capo quiz, been busy with the blues lol). thanks so much and look forward to your entry.

I had a dream last night that I could play the blues. Sadly, that dream does not accurately reflect reality.
anyone can play the blues, just takes a lot more practice [ and maybe hard knocks] to play it well. if I can put it out there, anyone can. just try.

Great fun - and you're becoming a regular one-man band! Uke, Kazoo, ring shaker, and, unless I'm losing my mind, you stomped on a tambourine a bit, too...

Top Bottom