"Eleventh Season of the Ukulele Contest"

Well, I have a song in mind, but I can't promise I'll do it justice.

I had a dream last night that I could play the blues. Sadly, that dream does not accurately reflect reality.
I had a dream last night, a wonderful dream last night
I could play the blues, then came the mornin' light
I'm so blue, 'cause I can't play, the blues...

There you go - you've already written a song and just didn't know it.

BTW, I have to say that the video I posted as an example of 12 bar blues is actually short a couple of bars :oops: - didn't notice until I went back and watched it. I think I muddied the waters more than cleared them. So, I'm not going to be too much of a stickler for the 12-bar format - I mostly just chose that 'cause it made a catchy theme, anyway!

Try to keep it sort of a trad blues feel, though.

John

Great fun - and you're becoming a regular one-man band! Uke, Kazoo, ring shaker, and, unless I'm losing my mind, you stomped on a tambourine a bit, too...
he he mate...I was trying to approximate the jug band sound so I brought a few toy instruments along for the ride! Thanks John :)

I could play the blues, then came the mornin' light
I'm so blue, 'cause I can't play, the blues...

There you go - you've already written a song and just didn't know it.

BTW, I have to say that the video I posted as an example of 12 bar blues is actually short a couple of bars :oops: - didn't notice until I went back and watched it. I think I muddied the waters more than cleared them. So, I'm not going to be too much of a stickler for the 12-bar format - I mostly just chose that 'cause it made a catchy theme, anyway!

Try to keep it sort of a trad blues feel, though.

John

next verse : it'sa so hard to choose, yes lord so hard to choose,
it'sa so hard to choose, yes lord so hard to choose,
do i play justine beiber lord,or learn them blues,
cos im so blue , i cant play the blues

So, I'm not going to be too much of a stickler for the 12-bar format - I mostly just chose that 'cause it made a catchy theme, anyway!

Okay, this sounds like good news, because there are a lot of songs I looked at that aren't quite 12-bar and really lost something when adapted to 12-bar. So I had decided to go with something a little more traditional. But this means I could do one of those newer songs I was looking at instead. Which means I got to decide all over again.

Decisions, decisions...

Great submissions so far everyone! Here's my attempt. Sinner's Prayer. Love this song. I always thought I sounded ok singing along with it in the car so I figured I'd give it a shot! Haha

You're all witness to my first attempt at 12-bar blues on the uke. I also figured out how loud I can get before my Snowball microphone clips out... ;) Enjoy!

Last edited:
Great submissions so far everyone! Here's my attempt. Sinner's Prayer. Love this song. I always thought I sounded ok singing along with it in the car so I figured I'd give it a shot! Haha

You're all witness to my first attempt at 12-bar blues on the uke. I also figured out how loud I can get before my Snowball Blue microphone clips out... ;) Enjoy!

I... Don't... Wow.

You're all witness to my first attempt at 12-bar blues on the uke. I also figured out how loud I can get before my Snowball Blue microphone clips out... ;) Enjoy!

Holy Smokes, Dude, that's some BLUES. You were just lip-synching, right, there's some 60 year old black blues man hidin' behind you, right. :)

Great job.

geez, talk about some authentic down-home blues singin...amazing brother Nate, just wonderful stuff. That warmed the blood in this cold ol body. BRAVO man

wooollll....that was ....very....goood.....wow! didn't i see you on beale street? or..you sure you aren't a southern baptist preacher? maybe in another life! great job!

Great submissions so far everyone! Here's my attempt.
Sinner's Prayer. Love this song. I always thought I sounded ok singing along with
it in the car so I figured I'd give it a shot! HahaYou're all witness to my first attempt
at 12-bar blues on the uke. I also figured out how loud I can get before my
Snowball Blue microphone clips out... ;) Enjoy!

When ever I attempt to sing like that I have to first gargle with razor blades and small stones.
You really ripped into that one... you would give leather lungs Lennon a run for his money.

I... Don't... Wow.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Holy Smokes, Dude, that's some BLUES. You were just lip-synching, right, there's some 60 year old black blues man hidin' behind you, right. :)

Great job.

Hahaha! I was trying to channel my inner Jonny Lang. It's a good thing I got that on an early take. I can't keep that up for long... ;)

geez, talk about some authentic down-home blues singin...amazing brother Nate, just wonderful stuff. That warmed the blood in this cold ol body. BRAVO man

Wow, Jon thanks! You're one of my ukulele idols, and I greatly appreciate the compliment.

wooollll....that was ....very....goood.....wow! didn't i see you on beale street? or..you sure you aren't a southern baptist preacher? maybe in another life! great job!

Well, I have lived in Alabama for a little over two years. Maybe that's it? Blues by osmosis? :) Thanks!

When ever I attempt to sing like that I have to first gargle with razor blades and small stones.
You really ripped into that one... you would give leather lungs Lennon a run for his money.

Yeah, it ain't easy on the ol' pipes. You know I had to look up "leather lungs Lennon". I only knew of one Lennon, but I figured it must have been someone else. Cool bit of trivia for a Beatles fan such as myself, and I'll take a comparison to Mr. Lennon any day, thank you. Ha!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you everyone for the kind words. These seasons contests have really livened up my last few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing more submissions from whoever's lurking out there!

12 bar lesson

for anyone who is having trouble getting a handle on the 12 bar blues, I came across a great lesson. super clear. Big Mahalo to Bret? @ ukuleletricks

Last edited:
Hahaha! I was trying to channel my inner Jonny Lang. It's a good thing I got that on an early take. I can't keep that up for long... ;)

It's funny you should mention that because that was the first thing I thought of - "this guy's like Jonny Lang - he sounds like the reincarnation of an old blues man!"

It's funny you should mention that because that was the first thing I thought of - "this guy's like Jonny Lang - he sounds like the reincarnation of an old blues man!"

Now if only I could play like him... :\

yea, nscafe, that was too terrible, too terribly good. take 'er easy on that voice, we want to hear more, lots more.

Aww shucks man, thanks!

Top Bottom