New Uke Day

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey Friends,
I just unpacked my new Ko'olau CE-1 Tenor, it joins my Pono PTES-CM. I had just recently started a great new job and haven't really been playing alot. My band, Coconut Telegraph lost a member and I was just kinda down about playing. Well, the phone started ringing about gigs and whatnot and I just happened to meet a bass player and things are off and running. I decided I needed a uke to play in a band setting for events and such where the sound guy might be a little suspect. So, after some research, I pulled the trigger on the Ko'olau CE-1.
First let's talk about the fit and finish. It has the same neck profile as my Pono Tenor which I like. It has a Koa top on a chambered Mahogany body with a satin finish. The fretwork is great and it plays very easily. It came strung with a low G set. Both the C and G are wound, this may take a little getting used to but so far so good.
The unplugged sound is surprisingly good due to the chambered body. Late night kitchen picking should not bother anyone else in the crib. The electric sound is fantastic. The pickup is an L.R Baggs active pickup. I plugged into a Fender Delve Reverb and it sounded great even though this is an electric guitar amp. I then plugged into a small Yamaha PA. Wow, sound guys bugging me are a thing of the past. Very authentic ukulele sound.
I will try and produce a youtube review with some live sound on it soon. I just wanted to share with you all.
Two Ukes.jpg

Beautiful! Congratulations! Do you like the way it sounds?

Very glad to hear that you're happy with it as I have one on order myself. I'm looking forward to your Youtube review...

Nickie,
Yes, I love the way it sounds. It will be perfect for playing with drums bass and guitar.

Wow! Beautiful grain pattern!! I want an electric uke badly. Being the nosy bugger that I am, how much did this one set you back?

Beautiful man! Congrats! I have an L.R. Baggs active pickup on my Gibson LGO and I love the way it sounds. Cool!

Sweet, nice looking uke. Congrats on gettin' back in the game, too.

Consitter, Now worries mate, I got it from a store in Tokyo as I am impatient and couldn't wait. My tax refund covered it at around $1279.00 with the exchange rate between yen and dollars. I am going to rehearse with the band today, I will let you all know how it works out in that setting.

Looks great, Doug. I've had my eye on those for quite a while. Sorry to hear about your band mate.

You have a nice set of complementing ukes there.

AB

Very nice. I received my CE-1 Baritone about a month ago. I really love it.

Enjoy the tenor!

Top Bottom