Song Help Request Second part strumming in Postcards from Italy

Elegant.

Reaction score
Hello uke friends!

I've been playing pretty regularly since the beginning of this year. I'm a beginner, and I have learned two songs. :) However, one of these songs sounds very nicely, although I'm aware that one part of this song can be played in many ways. I've figured out two of them, but there is still one left. The song I'm talking about is Postcards from Italy by Beirut.

Let me move on to the strumming pattern, I'm aware of three ways:

1: This is the easiest: Down, Down, Up, Up, Down and Up. Sounds good but if we listen to Zach when he plays it's obviously more into this part.

2. This one I've got from ukulelehunt.com. Sounds really nice and it's more closer to the "real" second part strum.

I can manage these two above.

3. This one is how it sounds like and how it looks like. Zach plays in this way and many other around YouTube have succeeded with this part, however, I can't myself figure it out. Here is were you come in. :)

There are videos of it, but I can't still figure it out:

The strumming I talk about starts at:

1:59:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytudwqKuc4s

14:25: (more noticeable when he is getting solo at the end):

1:07:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XrBqX21XqXI

1:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX0YLqN6hEo

I would REALLY appreciate any help of this song!

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Any ideas? :)
:cool:

IT SOUNDS like it's just a series of up down strums. however, there's an emphasis on the DOWN followed by what sounds similiar to a triplet strum then another DOWN. the up down up is played very quickly. here's where its hard for me to explain but you'll catch from listening. sounds like a strong DOWN, quick pause and then a quick up-down-up and repeat.

so playing (3213) DOWN up down up DOWN up down up DOWN up down up(switch to 2013) DOWN

***when you're about to change between the chords, you may slow the up-down-up just for that phrase, as your ear desires
***OR if you want to play it like the last link, you may have to change the strum pattern once right before the chord change to just an DOWN up down DOWN(on the new chord)

Last edited:
:cool:

IT SOUNDS like it's just a series of up down strums. however, there's an emphasis on the DOWN followed by what sounds similiar to a triplet strum then another DOWN. the up down up is played very quickly. here's where its hard for me to explain but you'll catch from listening. sounds like a strong DOWN, quick pause and then a quick up-down-up and repeat.

so playing (3213) DOWN up down up DOWN up down up DOWN up down up(switch to 2013) DOWN

***when you're about to change between the chords, you may slow the up-down-up just for that phrase, as your ear desires
***OR if you want to play it like the last link, you may have to change the strum pattern once right before the chord change to just an DOWN up down DOWN(on the new chord)

Thank you, aehalt. I'll try this more and more when I play this in the future. :)

Top Bottom