Mad World by Gary Jules (Donnie Darko) Uke Solo

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
Hey guys, finished up this arrangement for the most part.. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

Cooool playnig!! The sound quality is awesome!! I listen to it via the earphones and find it so enjoyable!! Some may dislike satin finish for recording as it causes some "noise" when you right arm moves over the top. But I actually like this kind of raw feeling! Love it! :shaka:

Well done man! Every time I hear this song, I think of XBOX Gears of War commercial. :p

See I was never a gears to war guy, I did like the game but I got sucked into the call of duty thing.

Most groovy. Thanks for sharing
Very welcome

Lovely styling and finesse Col, sweet work mate.
Thanks, I've been taking ballet classes for the finesse part, glad it is working out.

Cooool playnig!! The sound quality is awesome!! I listen to it via the earphones and find it so enjoyable!! Some may dislike satin finish for recording as it causes some "noise" when you right arm moves over the top. But I actually like this kind of raw feeling! Love it! :shaka:
Yeah the satin finish can be tough because you hear everything and there is nothing you can really do about it, but I do like how natural it sounds. The only thing I added to the audio was a touch of reverb.

Nicely Played! Great arrangement, Colin.

You should, its not too hard just toughish chords

I noticed a couple times in the vid, even though your face is mostly serious, a couple times a half-smile crept out and it looks like you were thinking, "yah, nailed it." Look around 0:44.
Nice to see joy, even playing a sad sad tune

COLIN! Great arrangement!
Thanks Rev, miss ya.

I noticed a couple times in the vid, even though your face is mostly serious, a couple times a half-smile crept out and it looks like you were thinking, "yah, nailed it." Look around 0:44.
Nice to see joy, even playing a sad sad tune

Bahaha, I almost never think I nail anything. This song is def. not a nail, maybe a screw. lol.. Seriously I hate including my face cause I make stupid faces. Those smiles were probably because this is another arrangement I put together myself.You know, seeing something start from an idea and actually become reality. I heard this song and wondered if I could figure it out and what it might sound like on a uke. I just still can't get over that I can listen to a song and put it together by ear, it kinda blows me away every time I do it. Never thought in a million years I'd be doing that.

Well done man! Every time I hear this song, I think of Tears For Fears.

Love your version--one comment, not at all about our playing,but for some reason, your recording isn't crisp. If you listen to ukeofcarl's version, or Sophie's uke-singing version, they are recorded sharply, crisp and clear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGkSXcguRQM

WHat happened to yours, C? lol You have good equipment, I think. I don;t know, I'm not an engineer. Just pointing out that the quaility of the recording is low volume and distant for your outstanding fingering/picking version of this now classic song. Well done!

Last edited:
Honestly couldn't really tell you. I'm not an expert either. I kinda plug everything in and hope for the best. I had everything at a local uke show to record for a friend but perhaps my gain wasn't as high as it could have been on my Maudio. But honestly couldn't tell you.

Hey guys, finished up this arrangement for the most part.. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

What do I think? Excellent, Colin. I like your style. I've been wanting to hear this on an ukulele. Teach me this, will ya?

What do I think? Excellent, Colin. I like your style. I've been wanting to hear this on an ukulele. Teach me this, will ya?

At UWC, it's pretty easy once you can do the chords. And by then I'm sure it'll be even a little different.

Top Bottom