Just bought a Stagg US20

FormbyFanatic95

Reaction score
Anyone got one? Got pretty good reviews and only £19.99 free p&p from Amazon.co.uk. I do have a banjo ukulele(an Ashbury) and this is my first proper ukulele.

I have the higher end model of that, the US70S. It's a pretty great ukulele.

I have the higher end model of that, the US70S. It's a pretty great ukulele.

Ok came today and the strings are CRAP. I strummed it and the string popped out! I have noticed that Aquila strings seem to be the solution but which ones? (It is a soprano)

Aquila PLAIN nylgut strings in Soprano size is the
logical answer to your question. Having said that,
I string all of my sopranos with Concert gauge
strings for the extra 'punch' if needed!
But I would never suggest any set with a wound
string, as they only seem to last about two weeks!

I also have a Stagg US 20 ive tried Aquila and liked them although I now have Martins fitted which i prefer. Controversal / personal preference?

I also have a Stagg US 20 ive tried Aquila and liked them although I now have Martins fitted which i prefer. Controversal / personal preference?
Did yours come with black really bad trings that were untunable?

This was my first ukulele. I got it as a birthday present. Having never played ukulele before, this thing did the trick to help me learn. With basic Aquila soprano strings, I thought it sounded fine. The Aquilas will really brighten it up. First position chords shouldn't be a problem, but beyond those, the intonation isn't that great.

At the price, you really shouldn't expect any more than that.

I soon after got a better ukulele (once I knew I'd keep playing), but I still get this one out regularly. It is just hard to not like any ukulele for me, especially my first one.

You are correct about the strings it comes with, though. The Aquilas will make a world of difference.

Hi again. So I actually decided to buy Martin soprano/concert strings. The videos on YouTube show them as being great strings.

Came today and what a difference, check out my YouTube channel to not only hear it but see me choking on Lucozade!

Top Bottom