Gordon Mark

PedalFreak

Reaction score
What an amazing player! First heard of him when I bought the 'Art of Solo Ukulele' CD.

Anyone know what tuning he uses? I've seen him play Baritones & Tenors. Does he tune his Tenor's like a Baritone? Or is he just using Low G Strings? Anyone know if he has any instruction material?

Gordon is a living treasure!

He uses Koaloha Tenors and Baritones. I believe his tenor is reentrant and his Baritone is tuned normally.

I first learned of and heard Gordon Mark play at the Captain's Galley in Waikiki in 1970. I was leaving for
Portland, OR in a day or 2 so I got his permission to tape record his performance the next night and
got as much as I could on a 60 min tape. The only lesson Gordon taught me that night can be found on
YouTube in his 2 minute finger-picking lesson. Check it out! (sorry I don't have the link for you)

That Fall I listened to the tape and tried to remember his fingerings/chording as I practiced.

OK, now it's been 40 years, and whenever possible, I try to make it to his local lessons in Kalihi when I'm
back home in Honolulu, on Tues evenings.

He did publish an instruction book(let) [in the 80's I think]. In it he uses his uniquely designed TAB.
It takes a while to comprehend the ukulele hieroglyphics but he tries to represent precisely what he does
as he plays his rendition of some wonderful songs.

I hope he will do more YouTube videos [actually, someone else will have to record him as he is not into
self-promotion] as he is well worth listening to and watching. He has a unique sound and style of play.
It's wonderfully full and mellow.

I could hope that everyone would 'discover' Gordon Mark and enjoy his contribution to ukulele playing.

keep uke'in',

I haven't seen my copy in decades, so I don't remember its title.

If/when I find it I'll try to remember to PM you or start another thread.

I really enjoy listening to Gordon's playing. so soothing and seemingly effortless!

You will enjoy the CDs!

keep uke'in',

These days..Gordon teaches at a school too I think...and hangs out at Koaloha Factory...

I really do love how these incredible players are more than willing to share, and how simple their techniques usually are. Listening to the great ones play can be intimidating because it seems so incredibly complicated, but when stripped down, it's not. I can't remember who it was, but another old great laughingly said that you can do anything with an 'ukulele by using just two fingers on your strumming hand.

Of course, simple doesn't mean easy. But it just goes (again) to show just how democratic and approachable the 'ukulele is. If one is willing to put in even minimal effort, one will see results. The more effort, the greater the results.

I guess I gotta get practicing!

You know Gordon charges 45.00 per hour...but is happy to teach you.....I wish I could afford that...

That's actually less than most hack guitar lessons cost here in LA!

But it makes me wonder ... $45 per hour works out to about 75 cents per minute. Does that mean I need to send Gordon a check for $1.50 for his fingerpick video? :p

Kalei Gamiao worked with him. He said that greatest lesson he learned from Gordon Mark was how to approach arranging music. If you listen to his stuff he has so many layers going on. Melodies and counter melodies. It's a pleasure to listen to!

A longer "cut" from Gordon's KoAloha video (same as one below for first 2:24 min).

Gordon was, surprisingly, playing a Kamaka on the PBS Kamaka special video (someone had it posted here, it's about 26 minutes). Gordon played a Kamaka. Guess he was just slummin' for a day. lol

A longer "cut" from Gordon's KoAloha video (same as one below for first 2:24 min).

Gordon was, surprisingly, playing a Kamaka on the PBS Kamaka special video (someone had it posted here, it's about 26 minutes). Gordon played a Kamaka. Guess he was just slummin' for a day. lol

I think from what I've seen, Gordon plays a couple vintage Kamaka Baritones, but KoAloha Tenor & Concert ukes. One of the Kamaka's I saw an interview where he said it was his favorite and it never leaves Oahu :)

I love this forum! Sure enough - i was just about to post about him - and here's a thread right on topic and only a few days old!

Anyone know how to reach him? I'll be in HI this fall and I'd love to set something up.

I love this forum! Sure enough - i was just about to post about him - and here's a thread right on topic and only a few days old!

Anyone know how to reach him? I'll be in HI this fall and I'd love to set something up.

I just talked to KoAloha yesterday and they said that he is in the shop every day. Could call them and see. He also teaches every Tuesday night, but can't remember where.

Top Bottom