Gordon Mark

God, that's awesome, pfreak. Thanks. Next time I'm in Oahu, I'll set up a couple of lessons with him--even if I have to eat Spam and eggs for the entire week to save up for it. Gordon is, certainly, on the mark.

A longer "cut" from Gordon's KoAloha video (same as one below for first 2:24 min).

Gordon was, surprisingly, playing a Kamaka on the PBS Kamaka special video (someone had it posted here, it's about 26 minutes). Gordon played a Kamaka. Guess he was just slummin' for a day. lol

Did anyone else feel totally inadequate after seeing this?

Ok, back to practicing now.

so, gordon taught ur class 2nite. lol

Yeah in a way. We were on our second class, and I was explaining how there are different strums that you can use, and how many different picking and strumming patterns there are. Then I described how I just learned a new finger picking technique from Gordon Mark's video. So I demonstrated it, letting the class know that I just learned it, then I pulled up the video for them to watch. I wanted to show them how one type of pattern can really make the song.

I ordered all of Gordon's CD's a few weeks ago, they arrived today! Oh My! If you like solo ukulele music do yourself a favor and pick these up. You can get them here: http://www.danielho.com/DHC/Order_Form.html

I've been playing them in our store all day, amazing music.

Pedal, I like ukulele music without backing tracks or other instruments of any kind. Are all three of Gordon's CDs just ukulele? Which one do ou suggest? Thanks.

Pedal, I like ukulele music without backing tracks or other instruments of any kind. Are all three of Gordon's CDs just ukulele? Which one do ou suggest? Thanks.

Yes, all 3 of them are just Gordon and an ukulele :D If you can't get all 3 then I'd get Nohea (the first one) and then work through the rest of them. They are all quite amazing.

Aren't Gordon's CDs also on iTunes ?

Gordon is a living treasure!

He uses Koaloha Tenors and Baritones. I believe his tenor is reentrant and his Baritone is tuned normally.

I first learned of and heard Gordon Mark play at the Captain's Galley in Waikiki in 1970. I was leaving for
Portland, OR in a day or 2 so I got his permission to tape record his performance the next night and
got as much as I could on a 60 min tape. The only lesson Gordon taught me that night can be found on
YouTube in his 2 minute finger-picking lesson. Check it out! (sorry I don't have the link for you)

That Fall I listened to the tape and tried to remember his fingerings/chording as I practiced.

OK, now it's been 40 years, and whenever possible, I try to make it to his local lessons in Kalihi when I'm
back home in Honolulu, on Tues evenings.

He did publish an instruction book(let) [in the 80's I think]. In it he uses his uniquely designed TAB.
It takes a while to comprehend the ukulele hieroglyphics but he tries to represent precisely what he does
as he plays his rendition of some wonderful songs.

I hope he will do more YouTube videos [actually, someone else will have to record him as he is not into
self-promotion] as he is well worth listening to and watching. He has a unique sound and style of play.
It's wonderfully full and mellow.

I could hope that everyone would 'discover' Gordon Mark and enjoy his contribution to ukulele playing.

keep uke'in',

Sorry for tagging onto this old thread....

I really love the Gordon's style of playing harmonizing w only thumb and index.. Wondering if anyone has any idea where to find his method book? And I have checked itunes, it does carry his cds...

Can anyone help... thks thks

to my knowledge, Gordon hasn't published any music (written or printed or recorded) for a long time.
his most recent published works are his CDs - all Gordon, or featuring another artist or
included in a collection featuring many artists. What we see on YouTube are videos taken by his students and then shared via YT.

Gordon still gives lessons weekly (if not daily) and produces many instruction sheets for his
students. His music transcription method is very idiosyncratic and takes some time to gain
familiarity.

most recently, Aug 2, 7, and 9, 2017, Gordon gave free public lessons at the Ala Moana Center,
at Music4Life (unfortunately closing Aug 21st). I had the pleasure of attending them.

of course, all of this does not help you in your quest for Gordon's printed works.

I'm planning on sharing some of his worksheets with our group here in Seattle (STRUM -
Seattle's Totally Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) in the upcoming months. I may be persuaded
to share them with you all, but I will need to work on how to explain his transcriptions and
how to further instruct you on what to do as you progress from chord diagram to chord diagram, and from
line to line.

Be patient, and please contact me via ( rohiguchi@seattleschools,org ) if you're interested in being included in this project throughout the year ahead.
I'll need to get Gordon's permission, once I work up my 'explanations' before I can post them
for general consumption :)

I may also need to learn how to do accompanying MP3 files so anyone could hear as well as read
what to do.

til then, keep uke'in',
and pray that Gordon will give me permission to share his material with all of you :)

Last edited:
Aloha Rod,
Yes, hope that Gordon gives you permission to share his music with us. Sign me up!
Mahalo.

Top Bottom