Uke won't stay in tune!:(

J-dawg5

Reaction score
So I restrung my ukulele about a week ago, but now everytime play it it's always way out of tune when I play it! Even after 30 minutes of playing it gets a little out of tune. How can I fix this? Or is it natual

It's natural. The strings stretch for awhile before settling in. Try tuning each string up a half note for a day then tune it back down. It's a short cut that should help solve the problem.

You could also try prestretching the strings. It's exactly the same with Classical guitars.

Here's a video from Youtube, which is easier than trying to describe it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwNDkh43oqc

Apologies if you already know this, I don't mean to make assumptions about your level of knowledge.

One thing I've noticed from the video is that he removed all the strings before restringing. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about the Ukulele, but best practice when restringing a guitar is to change one string at a time and tune each to near concert pitch. This is so you're not removing all the tension from the neck joint, headstock and fingerboard. As I said, I can only relate to restringing guitar, this might not be an issue with Ukulele and anyone else on this forum can probably correct me if I'm wrong, I just thought it worth mentioning.

While theoretically, changing one string at a time is a good idea; in practice I'm not sure it means much. It certainly will not do anything about the string stretch out issue.

What wasn't said was what brand of strings were used here. I do know from experience that Aquilas take at least a week to stabilize...at LEAST a week. D'Addarios seem to stabilize quickly. The Savarez guitar strings I use stabilize in about three days. But don't choose strings just on that basis; choose on what sounds best; get a decent clip on tuner (I love the red Snark tuners), and just tune it as needed. Also, learn to string up the uke with a lock turn around the tuning post. Don't wind any more than three turns of string on the post; too much can indeed lead to tuning instability.

Or is it natual? It's natual.

Top Bottom