14th Season Of Uke: "Get On The Bike With Ike"

I always loved this song and was the one I was going to do. I was listening to another version which has a few more verses, so I may do it anyway , and use the other verses since I've been practicing it. if you don't mind. I promise it won't be as good as yours.

That's the great thing about these old standards. They're open to many interpretations. And one isn't necessarily better or worse than another, it's just different. For example, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis added a few verses to the original when they performed this song. That might be where your extra verses came from. But it's another interpretation, which is cool.
My wife and I have plans for the holiday weekend so I don't know if I'll have an entry this week, but I've been wanting to do a duet with my wife whenever the occasion seemed right. So if I do manage to get an entry done this week it'll probably be a duet of "Side by Side."

I always loved this song and was the one I was going to do. I was listening to another version which has a few more verses, so I may do it anyway , and use the other verses since I've been practicing it. if you don't mind. I promise it won't be as good as yours.

No problemo!!! The more the merrier.
and I hope you do it better than mine.
We should encourage each other to do out best.

That's the great thing about these old standards. They're open to many interpretations. And one isn't necessarily better or worse than another, it's just different. For example, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis added a few verses to the original when they performed this song. That might be where your extra verses came from. But it's another interpretation, which is cool.
My wife and I have plans for the holiday weekend so I don't know if I'll have an entry this week, but I've been wanting to do a duet with my wife whenever the occasion seemed right. So if I do manage to get an entry done this week it'll probably be a duet of "Side by Side."

A duet would be lovely. It was great when Jon did a duet with his
wife. So go for it. I suppose the song is better as a duet where you
have the lines about sharing the load. Community, friendship and support is the name of the game.

I got on my bike for Ike!

Doug this is just wonderful mate. Everything is just right about this. You've sure set the bar high my friend. Thankyou for kicking off the contest in such a sweet and lovely way. :)

well here is my entry, might try and improve on it during the week, not to happy with my singing or playing its a bit all over the place.
thanks jon so much for taking on another week, your a legend. :)

nice one Dave. A sweet, smooth take and the picking intro and work through the middle was lovely to listen to.

Okay, I think I found one I can do. :) Will try to get it done in the next couple of days. Thanks for the challenge, this is outside of my listening experience!

This was a song that my father used to sing. I did not know where he picked it up from.
It was just a song from his past. I was surprised to find it had been done by Cliff Edwards.
He did it as an uptempo song, but given the economic crisis in Greece and Spain,
and the doom and gloom surrounding the Euro I thought it better to do it slow.

Naw I like to sing things slow anyways.

Rob, thankyou for your unique take on a song that is offered done in a bouncy, irreverent and whimsical way. Nice to see some longing, passion, melancholy and soul on the table. Superb.

Okay, I think I found one I can do. :) Will try to get it done in the next couple of days. Thanks for the challenge, this is outside of my listening experience!
GREAT Freeda! Would be fab to have you along for the ride... :)

SO far so good folks- enjoyed the first round of entries...surely there are some more Ike tunes to throw out there folks!
And now a word from our Patriarch :)

Many thanks for your kind words Jon :) this is my 1st recording i actually feel embarrassed when i listen to it lol. My fretting of the chords was quite bad, funny how i have got so used to playing soprano now and the bari, yet my tenor threw me . I actually recorded another song today was fairly happy with it and then i accidently wiped it. Definately lost my slight mojo. A bruko #6 is in the pipeline.
Anyway thanks so much for your support, but i know this is my worst entry so far oh well its all a learning curve, and i think my entry will take some beating to be the worst fingers crossed i can pull another one off :)

Fantastic entries so far guys, Doug started things off with a ripper tune and bike crash (lucky he was wearing a helmet) Rob with his unique style and flavour, Davey followed with a classic "It's Only A Paper Moon" with a sweet blend of picking and rhythm playing. Thanks gents for kicking things off, it's a great start to the 14th season.

Oi mate...don't be so hard on yourself. You had a great shot at a fantastic tune. Wanna see a train wreck, take a look at the 50 vids I have posted :) in any event- Jon is letting me judge this not because I can play a lick...but because I love Ike. You did him proud mate...did him proud. Well impressed on this end and patiently awaiting a re-do of the one that got away.

Many thanks for your kind words Jon :) this is my 1st recording i actually feel embarrassed when i listen to it lol. My fretting of the chords was quite bad, funny how i have got so used to playing soprano now and the bari, yet my tenor threw me . I actually recorded another song today was fairly happy with it and then i accidently wiped it. Definately lost my slight mojo. A bruko #6 is in the pipeline.
Anyway thanks so much for your support, but i know this is my worst entry so far oh well its all a learning curve, and i think my entry will take some beating to be the worst fingers crossed i can pull another one off :)

Rob, thankyou for your unique take on a song that is offered done in a bouncy, irreverent and whimsical way. Nice to see some longing, passion, melancholy and soul on the table. Superb.

Most people aspire to get rid of the hiss and crackle that tends to mar their recording,
but I have developed my own old time scratchy/hiss filter that degrades and distresses
the output that if you close your eyes you might think you were listening to a badly
damaged 78 from the 1920's:eek:ld:

I'm with TCK 100% on this one Davey, grab the old mojo by the scruff of the neck mate and crank-up that video recorder!
I agree with my brothers here Dave. Mate, I've seen every one of your clips on YT. I watched you tackle old and new songs with equal aplomb. For the love of God man, you even write your own cool songs on the fly. Be confident mate, you've got a GREAT voice, it's rich and powerful and has a ton of guts, SING OUT brother, you're awesome.

I agree with my brothers here Dave. Mate, I've seen every one of your clips on YT. I watched you tackle old and new songs with equal aplomb. For the love of God man, you even write your own cool songs on the fly. Be confident mate, you've got a GREAT voice, it's rich and powerful and has a ton of guts, SING OUT brother, you're awesome.

Thanks guys so so so much i wasnt after the sympathy vote HONEST thats way to kind, but really appreciate it, just feel i should of practiced more before doing this clip, im trying it in a different key, but boy the chord changes are harder lol
Jon i feel honoured by your words of praise and encouragment, thanks so much, im definately at the lower league when compared to the many greats in the seasons comp, but its awesome to hang out with the big boys and get encouragement and advice really appreciate it, now to build my ego up (just a little ) but being serious for a second, i have always suffered with confidence issues through out everything my whole life, but i dont wanna get to heavy or open myself up, anyway on with the comp :)

Doug this is just wonderful mate. Everything is just right about this. You've sure set the bar high my friend. Thankyou for kicking off the contest in such a sweet and lovely way. :)

Thanks for the kind words, Jon. I really had fun with this one. :) Thanks for hosting, and great idea for the contest as a tribute to Cliff Edwards.

Well guys and gals, i wasnt happy with my performance of its only a paper moon,so here is a new entry by me of another song, which cliff edwards sang :)

Two great songs this week ukuleledaveey! I love both Paper Moon and Red Red Robin and thought about doing Paper Moon myself. Enjoyed your performances.

Two great songs this week ukuleledaveey! I love both Paper Moon and Red Red Robin and thought about doing Paper Moon myself. Enjoyed your performances.

Many thanks myrnaukulele :) please feel free to do paper moon, as it no longer counts as my entry now, would love to hear your version, many thanks for your kind words

Top Bottom