Song Help Request Jake Shimabukuro's Don't Stop Believin'

ahgnuyen

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tabs for Jake's version of this song?

Thanks!

Haha. Me too! Such a great song. So far, all I've been able to work out is the intro. Haven't had much time for the rest.

It's such massive undertaking for one person to tab a song out- so what i'm going to do is put a quick analysis of the songs crucial parts, and if you're up for it you can add to it and before long we'll have it tabbed.

Step one: find a video that shows the fingers, so you can try it yourself... if your ear tells you it's wrong then keep trying. this is how i'm doing it.

Now, find a fun sounding part that you can recognize. start there.

ex:

the part starting in the video above at 34 seconds. it uses the rhythm chords of F(2010) to Dm(2210) then I think i see a Bb(3211). to play the melody you alternate between strumming an F chord, then the melody can be played on the E string, in the video above he is plucking both the C and E string with his ring finger on the 3rd fret of the E string.

so, in summary you play the F chord, then some of the melody which i will provide below, then the Dm then play more melody, then the Bb... i think this will work

melody ...

A------------------0--------------------3---1---0---------------------0-------------0-------
E---3---1------3----------1--1---1--1--------------3-------3---1---3----3---1---3------1---
C---0---0------0----------2--2---2--2--------------0-------0---0---0----0---0---0------0---
G

CHORDS F(2010)............Dm(2210)........Bb(3211)...............F..................i think

"Street lights....people........livin just to ...find emotion...........their shadows....in the ni....ight".. this actually might not be that part of the song lyrically

ha i'm not exactly sure of the lyrics, but i attempted to match that up with the tabbed melody above. the C i have noted the open string to be plucked with the E string. NOTE you can achieve the correct song by using the above melody in combination with holding the chord shapes i have put underneath the melody. this may need to be tweaked by i feel like i'm close enough with the tab.

ok here's the part starting at 1:38. this will be tabbed using numerals in the form of GCEA. x means don't play that string.

2010-2010-201x-xx3x-slide-xx5x-0433-0433-0433-xxx5-slide-xxx7-0555-0555-0555-xxx7-xxx8-0211-0211-0211-xxx0-0xxx(OR xx3x it's the same note)-xx1x. repeat back starting on the F (2010)

hope that made sense.

I just wanted to help.. and i hope my ramblings can be deciphered.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but when I was searching for tabs for this song this is what was at the top of the search. Since I went ahead and tried to make my own tabs I figured I'd post them here for anyone else who searches like I did. They're probably not perfect, but maybe will be helpful to someone.

https://www.scribd.com/document/350896075/Dont-Stop-Believing-ukulele-tabs

I tried to follow this video as closely as I could, but it's not exactly the highest quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvYuMfhYvXg

Top Bottom