New uke book on the way - 'The Baroque Ukulele'

I just love all these comments and I'm really grateful for them. In the new book there's going to be a space in the 'credits' for what really matters - the people here that play the uke and want to do more than strum chords.... I had no idea how people would be respond to lute music on the ukulele. I thought it might be a bit of a minority interest. I'm so glad so many enjoy this sort of music and recognise how right it is to play it on the ukulele. Best wishes and thanks to all here! Tony

I just love all these comments and I'm really grateful for them. In the new book there's going to be a space in the 'credits' for what really matters - the people here that play the uke and want to do more than strum chords.... I had no idea how people would be respond to lute music on the ukulele. I thought it might be a bit of a minority interest. I'm so glad so many enjoy this sort of music and recognise how right it is to play it on the ukulele. Best wishes and thanks to all here! Tony[/QUOTE
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THIS is great and happy news for the "Lute to Uke Society!" ;-)

I do!! Working on Bear Dance and Allemande.

Yep, that Bear Dance and allemande are quite something and so is the rest of the book!...and that CD, like I said before, I cannot stop playing it. It's wonderful, relaxing and sounds so much like a Renaissance lute. Tony sure did a tremendous job on this one. ENJOY! :)

This is great news! Your Lute to Uke book is awesome! It has given me so much pleasure. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to your new book. Can you ask Jim Beloff to make it a rush order?!

Hey, Tony, have you checked out youtube and searched for mizen and ukulele? There's a whole bunch of your arrangements from uke players. That is awesome in my book. You've inspired a lot of people. :D

This is great news! Your Lute to Uke book is awesome! It has given me so much pleasure. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to your new book. Can you ask Jim Beloff to make it a rush order?!

I'm going to copy this page and send it to Jim. Thank you again to everyone who has been so positive about the book. 'The Baroque ukulele' is nearly ready. I had an enjoyable afternoon tweaking the text today.

'The Baroque ukulele' is nearly ready.
Awesome! :)

Can you convince Jim to make it available pronto instead of "by Christmas"?

Really, I think there's a good market for this stuff. I would buy any classical book you put out.

Awesome! :)

Can you convince Jim to make it available pronto instead of "by Christmas"?

Really, I think there's a good market for this stuff. I would buy any classical book you put out.

What she said - I'd buy it when it comes out. But I have no idea how long it takes to publish a book. Someone must play these arrangements to make sure they are mostly correct, no?

Last edited:
What he said - I'd buy it when it comes out. But I have no idea how long it takes to publish a book. Someone must play these arrangements to make sure they are mostly correct, no?
Well, I'm a "she" but that's beside the point. :p

Tony, if you need someone to help proofread the book, I'll gladly volunteer. :)

Really looking forward to your Baroque book

Dear Tony, While at the New York Uke Fest, I shared with Jim how much joy I've had playing the songs in your Lute to Uke book. Jim told me about your soon to be published Baroque song book. I'm really looking forward to it!

For the last 8 months, I've gotten great joy playing the songs for the Lute book, they nourish my soul. Thank you, Tom

Thanks for your very kind words and for giving Jim such positive feedback. The new book is nearly done. All the music has been engraved, corrected and read through. We're at the final stages of putting together the text, photos, art work etc. The recording has all been done. I did the whole thing on one of Jim's Fluke's - They sound really rich and earthy and look amazing.

Doing both of these books has been a truly enjoyable experience, matched only by the wonderful feedback I've had on this site. Very best wishes to everyone here. I look forward to reading what people think of the new book. Maybe Jim will get it out there before Christmas???

I'm looking forward to your latest book, Tony. I working on a couple of pieces in Lute to Uke ATMO.

Thanks for pre-ordering! I hope you like it. Transcribing concertos is definitely the most satisfying thing to do. There's plenty of them waiting to be 'uked'...

This is great news. I look forward to buying it a.s.a.p. I've worked through most of the beautiful material in From Lute to Uke, though still a long way from mastering it. Also I've tried some pieces from the MacKillop book on Gaspar Sanz and the John King book. All of this has inspired me to try to transcibe some baroque recorder music and play it in the campanella style. Since the recorder has a very limited range like the uke, the material fits well without having to change registers in the melody.

Mr. Mizen, thanks so much for the inspiration. There is so much beautiful Early Music out there. I hope your books sell so well as to warrant publishing even more.

I'm so excited about this book. Comes out in TWO DAYS, everyone!

Top Bottom