New uke book on the way - 'The Baroque Ukulele'

Got this email from Amazon today:

We're writing about the order you placed on September 05, 2012 (Order# ...). Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s) may be delivered:

Tony Mizen "The Baroque Ukulele (Book/CD Package) - A Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Songbook"

New Delivery Estimate: October 03, 2012 - October 12, 2012
Bummer. :(

EDIT: Double bummer. Just checked my Amazon account... when I ordered the book on 9-5, they immediately deducted the full amount from my gift card balance. Now, since it didn't ship when they said it would, they've decided to tack on sales tax for California, which started today. :mad:

Last edited:
I didn't get a similar note of delay from amazon, but it hasn't arrived yet. Maye amazon realized that pushing the new blu ray box set of Hitchcock films back another month was enough torment for me.

I waited too long to order mine, and I got on backlog, too. I'm curious, does anyone know how Amazon's sales tax works? I bought a couple of ukulele books (Mizen and Gregorian Chants), a Maschine Mikro (buy one now for $200, before the new one comes out, which'll cost $400 as of October 1st), a clip-on tuner and a glitter tattoo kit for my son. The total came to about $275, but I only paid $3 and change in tax.

I waited too long to order mine, and I got on backlog, too. I'm curious, does anyone know how Amazon's sales tax works?
I actually don't think it's a backlog, just that it wasn't released as originally scheduled.

What state are you in? They only collect tax in certain states, or in states where the vendor (sometimes a third-party) has a "nexus" or physical presence in the buyer's state.

Apparently, in California, if an item wasn't shipped before 9-15 when the tax started, they will add it to your order retroactively. :(

I'm in California, and they only taxed certain items I bought. My Maschine Mikro was from a third-party dealer, and it wasn't taxed, apparently. I ordered it after 9/15.

My copy is on its way! Amazon shows they shipped it on the 22nd! Can't wait to get it.

My copy of the Baroque Ukulele arrived yesterday afternoon! My favorites so far are the three pieces by De Visee and the Harmonious Blacksmith by Handel.

Thanks, Tony, for this wonderful contribution to the classical ukulele literature!

Hi everyone, just to let you know that The Baroque ukulele book and CD is now available on the fleamarket music website. Also, I'm seriously thinking about donating a proportion of any royalties to research into deafness. For 12 years, I've had to adapt to having lost - inexplicably and suddenly - most of the high tones in one ear. It was one of the reasons why I took up the ukulele. The guitar sounds dull to me, even after all this time. My brain knows how it should sound, but I took up the ukulele, piano and banjo after it happened and these instruments sound acceptable to my brain as I don't know any different. My acoustic nerve, it has been proven, has been damaged and I feel a great need to contribute to research into nerve regeneration. So to some extent, as much as I can afford, buying the book will also be contributing to a good cause. I hope it lives up to expectations and I look forward to seeing some reviews. Very best wishes, Tony.

Tony, can I ask how you publish? Cos Jim has shown interest in having my stuff on his site, but I can't find any way of printing the material which isn't totally cost prohibitive.

Only just realised we're neighbours!

OMG Tony...I'm very sorry to hear of your hearing impairment. It must have been quite the shock and adaptation. Especially to a musician! :-o
However, ukulele players have benefited from your great skills and talents. This hearing problem certainly does not come out in any way into your recordings. From our end, you seem to have adapted quite well. We would have never guessed. Mario

Hi everyone, just to let you know that The Baroque ukulele book and CD is now available on the fleamarket music website. Also, I'm seriously thinking about donating a proportion of any royalties to research into deafness. For 12 years, I've had to adapt to having lost - inexplicably and suddenly - most of the high tones in one ear. It was one of the reasons why I took up the ukulele. The guitar sounds dull to me, even after all this time. My brain knows how it should sound, but I took up the ukulele, piano and banjo after it happened and these instruments sound acceptable to my brain as I don't know any different. My acoustic nerve, it has been proven, has been damaged and I feel a great need to contribute to research into nerve regeneration. So to some extent, as much as I can afford, buying the book will also be contributing to a good cause. I hope it lives up to expectations and I look forward to seeing some reviews. Very best wishes, Tony.

Thanks Mario, it's just the quality of sound that's lost when I'm playing. Other people's playing sounds normal and so does mine when I'm playing back a recording. My teaching hasn't suffered at all, only my own playing. Also, I have trouble in a noisy environment as I can't hear what people are saying - embarrassing! I'm still waiting to hear back from 'Hearing Research' in the UK regarding donations from sales. It seems like you can't even give money away these days!

Many thanks for your kind words

Tony

Got my copy of the Baroque Ukulele 10 days ago. I've been so busy that have had almost no time to try playing some of it. But I have listened to the CD a few times. It's so beautiful. Thanks so much for creating it, Mr. Mizen. I look forward to spending many weeks and months learning the pieces (or at least trying to.) BTW, as a fan of Richard Dawkins' books on evolution, I particulary love your analogies to the same topic. Let's hope there's another such book of yours in the works!

Tony, you've made me a believer in the reentrant G again.

Thank you very much for these uplifting comments. It would be nice to go the full distance - Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern....I asked a composer to write some modern pieces- William Walton style, for the ukulele but he sadly died before he got round to it.

Thank you very much for these uplifting comments. It would be nice to go the full distance - Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern....I asked a composer to write some modern pieces- William Walton style, for the ukulele but he sadly died before he got round to it.

Tony you have a good view. I think it very important to arrange ukulele music from every musical period. I've modified Gregorian chant http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gregorian-chant-Ukulele-tuning-ukulele/dp/1479207853/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351863803&sr=8-1 and romanticism http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anton%C3%ADn-D-vo%C3%A1k-Biblical-Songs/dp/1478197277/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1351863803&sr=8-11 . Therefore I am very glad that your books that show the Baroque. Thank you for doing awareness of classical music.

Dear Tony,

We have spoken(written each other) a few times before a while back when you were working on your Baroque Ukulele book/CD. This may be a belated response (as I see that the last posting was in February 2011...) but I just wanted to tell you that I finally got around to purchasing a copy of your wonderful book and CD from FleaMarket and it is absolutely brilliant! The chosen music is beautiful as it contains many songs that I was already familiar with and can relate to very well. Others, are to be discovered! :) Your CD is wonderful. The recording is superb. Great acoustics. I love the little touch of reverb. I also very much love the way you take your time to go through each pieces as you do not "race through them" in a robotic/mechanical fashion. You truly "feel" the music and slow down at just the right places. Wonderful arrangements on "not so easy" to transcribe for an instrument that only has 4 strings!. The Baroque period had Lutes, Theorbos...and THEY had MANY MANY strings to work on. Again, thank you for offering the Uke community another valuable ressource for those of us who appreciate and love the Renaissance & Braroque Period Répertoire. Hope your health is well. Take care. Mario :)

Top Bottom