R.I.P Robin Gibb of the BEE GEES

Although you and I may not agree on much, this is one. He will be sorely missed. We only have one Gibb left. The world is changing.

I'm completely bummed out. As a kid, I used to joke around with the Bee Gees music. It was my brother's music - he was immersed in that era. I just had fun with it. Now, I'm just sad, like a part of me has been ripped out.

RIP Robin Gibb.

I cant believe how many deaths there has been this year in the sphere of music there is way to many great ones going, we have lost davey jones, adam yauch, donna summer, robert sherman,bert weedon, donald dunn, and there is many more.
Anyway thoughts go out to all the gibb family

The Bee Gees were a HUGE influence on my musical development as a kid. Saw them live in Cincinnati in '79 during their Spirits Having Flown tour.

Listened to a bit of "Here at Last... Bee Gees... Live" during my run this morning, in honor of this latest sad loss.

First Andy (not a Bee Gee technically, but still...), then Maurice, now Robin. Down to just one. *sigh*

JJ

As a kid I had a Robin Gibb lunchbox. :-(
Are you serious? Not just a Bee Gees lunchbox but a Robin Gibb one? Girl, you were hardcore! :p

I remember their NY Mining Disaster song grabbing me in the beginning. Disco wasn't exactly my thang, but dang, these guys could write some really catchy songs. And there's no denying their incredible harmonies.

From all I've read, Robin was a very complex and interesting person, to say the least. :)

Are you serious? Not just a Bee Gees lunchbox but a Robin Gibb one? Girl, you were hardcore! :p

Yep, I still remember it. It was one of those metal ones, yellow if I recall. The thermos might have had them all on it, but the outside lunchbox picture was a big closeup of Robin. I was only three when Saturday Night Fever came out but I crushed hard on Robin and John Travolta, hence the lunchbox when I was five or six.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is it! Awww. :(

Screw it. I'm gonna crank "You Should Be Dancing" on the iPod and dance around the house right now. I just did it a couple of days ago with Donna Summer's "Last Dance." I'm doing it for Robin too. Even if the cat looks at me like I'm nuts.

Last edited:
I never got their Disco phase either**.

But I loved their early stuff. "NY Mining Disaster", "Massachusetts", "Gotta get a message to you!", "To Love Somebody" etc.
In that period they showed they were amongst the best songwriters on the planet.

Robin's voice had a fragile quality that really worked best on songs that played on the emotions.

Thanks for some great music Robin!

**The falsetto thing just seemed silly to me, but glad it paid for them to have a decent, if short, retirement.

The falsetto thing just seemed silly to me

Actually, Barry's falsetto was something he discovered he could do while recording "Nights on Broadway"... a couple of years before the disco juggernaut that was the "Saturday Night Fever".

That era of Bee Gees was really more R&B/blue-eyed soul than straight-ahead disco. The use of falsetto in that context was right in line with what Frankie Valli, the Stylistics, Marvin Gaye, etc. were/had been doing.

JJ

Top Bottom