Tacoma Dread

PoiDog

Reaction score
I find myself in a position where I am being offered a Tacoma dread for practically nothing (inside sale from a guy at work), and just want the standard ego stroke and validation before I hand over the cash.

This seems to be one of those "under-the-radar" makers, but for a 100% all-solid wood build, with spruce top / 'hog B&S that was made in the USA, I have to say I'm wondering why there isn't more talk about them.

Best of all, this is a pre-Fender model, built in '02. No cracks or damage beyond a couple of dings and buckle marks on the back.

Anyone have any firsthand experience with them? I played it a bit (well, as much as I can actually play six strings), and am impressed. He allowed me to compare it side-by-side with a Martin dread and the Tacoma more than held it's own.

Thoughts or encouragement or warnings?

Mahalo

Ho, Brah!

Tacoma guitars are made here in the U.S. Pretty great guitars.

Does the one you stay interested in have a satin or gloss finish? Tacoma gloss finishes are notorious for "Bubbling and Peeling" but not shua if this is an issue for newer models.

Yup, I had a few Tacoma guitars over the years, all pre-Fender, including an archtop I still own. Very, very nice guitars. I had a spruce-over-maple dreadnaught which I loved because it was really well-balanced. Underappreciated and undervalued, IMHO.

Mahalo to both of you for the reply.

The one I'm almost certain to get is a satin finish - which is great because I'm not a fan of gloss. I looked it over on Friday and there weren't any finishing issues that I could see. And the feel of the satin was very nice - really similar to my Kanile'a.

I'm going to pull the trigger on this tomorrow. Thanks for confirming what my gut was saying.

I find myself in a position where I am being offered a Tacoma dread for practically nothing (inside sale from a guy at work), and just want the standard ego stroke and validation before I hand over the cash.

This seems to be one of those "under-the-radar" makers, but for a 100% all-solid wood build, with spruce top / 'hog B&S that was made in the USA, I have to say I'm wondering why there isn't more talk about them.

Best of all, this is a pre-Fender model, built in '02. No cracks or damage beyond a couple of dings and buckle marks on the back.

Anyone have any firsthand experience with them? I played it a bit (well, as much as I can actually play six strings), and am impressed. He allowed me to compare it side-by-side with a Martin dread and the Tacoma more than held it's own.

Thoughts or encouragement or warnings?

Mahalo

I have two Tacoma acoustic guitars. The PM-20 and the DM-9. The parlor was manufactured in 1998. I bought the dreadnaught in 2001 or 2002, I think. Anyway, these are fantastic guitars and the tone is wonderful. The company is not around anymore, in fact, I think Gibson bought them but, hasn't done anything since.

I have the DM-9 for sale at a local music shop because, I just don't play it much and I have too many guitars. I'm hooked on ukuleles now.;)

I haven't had any problems with either one. The parlor has a gloss finish and the DM-9 has a matte finish.

I'd say, go for it!

Last edited:
Grab it, they have a very good resale value and a cult style following. I have a Tacoma Papoose and would buy it again in a heartbeat. Best little short scale out there. There is also a forum for Tacoma owners.

Top Bottom