Weekly newbie challenge ?

I haven't listened to it yet but I'm game. :)

EDIT: I just listened to it.
In the interest of becoming a better player I'm willing to learn it if everyone else agrees, but it's going to be hard to explain to my fiancee and friends (after spending many years living in isolated rural parts of the US, my dislike of Country music is quite well developed...).

Change the rhythm and make it "folk" or even punk. It's your song, baby!

If anyone has figured something new out: maybe a tip, or an easier way to transition between two chords, perhaps, feel free to let us know, or post a video if you're up for it. Or if you have ANY kind of question regarding a technique or whatever. It doesn't just have to be about practising whole songs. This is a group for newbies, after all. :)

I've just realised that this could be construed to mean "very slightly mental". In future, when wishing to describe someone in such a way, I shall restrict myself to using the phrase "their cheese has slipped off the cracker".

Or, we could just refer to them in the usual way..."Ukuleledaveey"

?????? hey what are you saying about me ?, i get it now :) it's all groovy :)

Last edited:
If we're talking about "Crazy Arms", the chords and changes seem pretty simple. (but I probably shouldn't speak for everyone) With this song, it's probably more about how you approach it and what you do with it. This song is most associated with Ray Price who was a honky tonker and was known for his "Ray Price shuffle", honky tonk music with a walking bassline. Would you play it with or without a chunk? What kind of strum pattern would you use? Would you try and change it up and make it something else? What beats should you or would you emphasize? etc.

If we're talking about "Crazy Arms", the chords and changes seem pretty simple. (but I probably shouldn't speak for everyone) With this song, it's probably more about how you approach it and what you do with it. This song is most associated with Ray Price who was a honky tonker and was known for his "Ray Price shuffle", honky tonk music with a walking bassline. Would you play it with or without a chunk? What kind of strum pattern would you use? Would you try and change it up and make it something else? What beats should you or would you emphasize? etc.

Interesting things to think about. I come to the song by way of Patsy Cline which has shaped my approach (though I don't have vocab to describe what makes that different just yet) -- but really, since my larger goal is to get comfortable with finger style, I spent part of my practice time working out a basic fingerpicking roll through the chords -- one I found in an Aaron Keim tutorial on line. If anyone wants to know what that is, I'll find a link. If, as a group, we agree that we're supposed to be applying a particular method or style, I'll try to adapt.

I have now slept on it and listened to versions by Ray Price, Patsy Cline, Jerry Lee Lewis, Patty Loveless, BR5-49, and... Hugh Laurie. After all that, I think I hate it. If Dr. House can't make me like it, nothing can. I'll stay tuned, but if this is the song of choice I'll sit this one out.

Are people going to post stuff here or on the group site?

I suggest this:
A new thread for each week, with a running list of links in one handy place in the group page. That way each has a thread for full discussion (and enough room for Kahuna to giggle at himself) but we have a central location for info. The webbertubes are good for that kind of multiple organization.

I have now slept on it and listened to versions by Ray Price, Patsy Cline, Jerry Lee Lewis, Patty Loveless, BR5-49, and... Hugh Laurie. After all that, I think I hate it. If Dr. House can't make me like it, nothing can. I'll stay tuned, but if this is the song of choice I'll sit this one out.

I had the same reaction to this song... I'll wait for next week.

Rocko, Carolani, and any others who are not fans of old Country - do any of you have another suggestion? Let's throw some other contenders in the ring.

My idea for this first week was that it be a catchy/well known song with tabs and audio/video easily available on the net, with no more than maybe 4 to 6 chords.

Here is a quick list of possibles:

Bad, Bad Leroy Brown - Jim Croche
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McPherrin
Fields of Gold - Sting
Hard Day's Night - Beatles
I'm a Believer - Monkees
King of the Road - Roger Miller
Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
Song Sung Blue - Neil Diamond

What do you think?

Thats not the point of the exercise to like the song. You can not have a song everybody likes, make it your own like somebody else said. Then you will get a chance to pick one you like.

I'm sorry, but some songs just don't appeal to me enough to practice them. When I was paid to play music, I played whatever was put on the stand in front of me, but that's not the case now. I spent a couple hours on this song, including trying it myself with several different strumming patterns - I'm done with it. I have offered some other options if people are interested but like I said above, if this is the song the majority wants, I'll just sit this one out, and hope for a tune I like better next time.

Thats not the point of the exercise to like the song. You can not have a song everybody likes, make it your own like somebody else said. Then you will get a chance to pick one you like.

I'd agree. Even if you don't like the song it would be a testament to your current skill or improvement to demonstrate to the group a different approach, an embellishment, a neat intro/outro, etc. Everyone here is in it for themselves to grow and improve but it would be nice for group memebers to help out others in the group if they have something they can contribute.

My offering of "Crazy Arms" was by random happenstance. I was balancing my checkbook on the computer, went to Pandora.com and created a Gram Parsons radio station so I could listen to some music to break the silence and tedium. As I sat and listened I probably jotted down the titles to 4 or 5 songs I wanted to learn on the uke. After I started thinking about it, I personally could probably spend weeks just playing country songs. (I love traditional country! Give me twang, give me a fiddle, give me a steel pedal guitar, give me a beer!!) The nUUbies thread came to mind and since it didn't seem to be going anywhere, I just threw out a song to try and get something going.

Last edited:
I'd agree. Even if you don't like the song it would be a testament to your current skill or improvement to demonstrate to the group a different approach, an embellishment, a neat intro/outro, etc. Everyone here is in it for themselves to grow and improve but it would be nice for group memebers to help out others in the group if they have something they can contribute.

Like I said, I tried a few things with it, but I just don't like the material enough to "make it my own." I grew up in North Carolina; my aversion to this style is quite visceral. As you said, it might not be for everyone.

Top Bottom