Fretting practice without a ukulele

Timruss

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I am just starting out. Is there a means to practice finger positions and chord transitions on a fretboard without using a ukulele? I was thinking about a mocked up copy of a fretboard without the uke body, something that can be carried almost in a pocket or at least in a brief case and used on the train or odd moments while waiting etc. - just thinking of ways to increase practice time as a beginner. Thanks

Go for it.

I saw one, complete with strings, for classical guitar.
It covered about the first 5 frets, or so.

Let us know if you create one. Pictures would be nice too. :)

Don't be surprised if you get 'orders' for one or several from fellow UUers!

keep uke'in',

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I am just starting out. Is there a means to practice finger positions and chord transitions on a fretboard without using a ukulele? I was thinking about a mocked up copy of a fretboard without the uke body, something that can be carried almost in a pocket or at least in a brief case and used on the train or odd moments while waiting etc. - just thinking of ways to increase practice time as a beginner. Thanks

Get a pocket Uke, will fit in your pocket.

I have a ukulele in my car, it's a Dolphin (it was free on CraigsList with a broken neck, which I fixed with glue). I put a strap on it (with one of those Command sticky hooks), and put it around my neck while driving. I can practice strumming, picking, and hitting chords, all separately, while driving. In traffic and at stops, I can play, sometimes I make it all the way thru Crazy G.

Buy the cheapest piece of junk Ukulele you can find and saw the neck and headstock off. Fit eyelets or hammer 4 nails in either end and wind strings around them.

I have a ukulele in my car, it's a Dolphin (it was free on CraigsList with a broken neck, which I fixed with glue). I put a strap on it (with one of those Command sticky hooks), and put it around my neck while driving. I can practice strumming, picking, and hitting chords, all separately, while driving. In traffic and at stops, I can play, sometimes I make it all the way thru Crazy G.

Ah crap, here we go again.

Let me make some popcorn and pull up a chair before you all start.

Did she really miss the first time this flared up? FIREWORKS IN 3....2.....

I know. Seriously though, if the strap breaks while you're driving the Uke' is in danger of falling into your Froot Loops or knocking over your makeup.

Women...KNOW YOUR LIMITS!

Welcome Timruss and thank you for this thread. Oh by the way ckellogg..."If you don't like the way I drive then stay off the sidewalk. HaHa!!"

Or you could get a tattoo on the outside of your right forearm: nut at the wrist, 12th fret at the elbow, with strings and fret markers drawn in, and you'll never be without a practice fretboard.

And Timruss, seriously, welcome, I didn't see you were brand new here or I would have been less aggro!

Last edited:
Or you could get a tattoo on the outside of your right forearm: nut at the wrist, 12th fret at the elbow, with strings and fret markers drawn in, and you'll never be without a practice fretboard.

Don't be a dumbass, how would she steer ? ;)

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Top Bottom