Kala KA-ST vs KPK

Eb4i

Reaction score
Well.. this will be my first uke and i was hoping to spend 250 for the uke and a hardcase with set up. For a while the Kala was looking like it would be the one i wanted but browsing around the forums i noticed that the KPK got some excellent reviews and comes from a legit seller. I have a local shop where i live that can get the KA-ST, set it up, and sell me a hard case for around 240. I suppose my question is this...
Is the extra 30 or 40 sum odd bucks worth the solid wood? Also... is the Bone bridge upgrade worth the 10 dollars over the standard rosemary on the KPK?
Here are the links to both
KPK - http://pilikoko.com/index.php?main_p...&products_id=3
KA-ST - http://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-ST-Spruce-Mahogany-Ukulele/dp/B001738790

Aside from the intro... this is my first real post. :) much thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Welcome!

Solid wood is 100% worth it! There are several solid wood brands that are not only excellent, but affordable: KPK, Ohana, Mainland among them. Remember, if the description doesn't say "solid" wood, then it's a laminate.

I have an Ohana, so I would recommend them! I got mine from Uke Republic, where they set it up AND it came with a case included (check item description).

Here's a tenor Mainland: http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/mainland-ukes-classic-mahogany-gloss-tenor

Here's an Ohana tenor: http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-5-string-mahogany-tenor

The KPKs come highly recommended from just about everyone who's ever owned one. They are also set up and come with strings and a case.

Given your price point, I think any of these could work for you.

Good luck!

What was your problem? I'm considering one as well and would like to get the broad spectrum of comments. Thanks!
I have a not so great experience with the KPK. In that price range, I believe a Mainland is the way to go. You can get it on Uke Republic - they also have a selection on cases and strings. I reccomend using Worth Strings.

I also recommend the KPK. I have the deluxe tenor and the standard concert....both excellent.
My good buddy mmStan had 2 concerts, a standard and a deluxe. He says the standard sounded better than the deluxe. Maybe because of the shell purfling? I don't know but I trust his opinions with his vast knowledge of ukes and how they sound.
Good luck with YOUR decision.............................BO....................

What was your problem? I'm considering one as well and would like to get the broad spectrum of comments. Thanks!

I owned a concert for a brief period and I sold it. I found the sound a bit dead, the headstock too ugly and the tuners very cheap. The headstock decal is horrible. I wasn't happy with it at all... Comparing to the Mainlands I tried, there is no competition.

I owned a concert for a brief period and I sold it. I found the sound a bit dead, the headstock too ugly and the tuners very cheap. The headstock decal is horrible. I wasn't happy with it at all... Comparing to the Mainlands I tried, there is no competition.

They are pretty similar in price. Does anyone else suggest the Mainland over the KPK or vice versa? Id really like to make sure my first uke is one that i will love for a long time.

Edit: It looks like im pretty much ruling out the KA-ST since a few more shillings will get me a solid wood uke. So i suppose its between the Mainland and the KPK now. The Ohana looks nice but id prefer a 4 string.

Edit 2: The KPK actually looks like it might be less expensive because KPK has a summer coupon for 10$ off AND free shipping, where as UKE Republic doesnt and shipping is 21. So the Mainland would be $261, while the KPK would be $215. So if the difference is subtle id much rather save 50$ and buy a chromatic tuner and a hard case with the extra cash. Leaning towards the KPK, any objections? haha

Last edited:
I think there was a thread on here about mainland vs KPK so you could take a look at that

I have a KPK and Mainland concert. Both fine instruments. The KPK is solid acacia and the Mainland solid mahogany.
The mahogany has a slightly warmer sound but I like them both because of the tonal differences. The KPK came with a rosewood nut and saddle which may account for a previous poster's comment about it sounding dead. Mine, different not dead. On my KPK the tuners are fine and function flawlessly. I personally do not judge and instrument on it's headstock shape or decal since neither has an effect on the sound or playability. You can't go wrong with either choice.

I have a KPK and Mainland concert. Both fine instruments. The KPK is solid acacia and the Mainland solid mahogany.
The mahogany has a slightly warmer sound but I like them both because of the tonal differences. The KPK came with a rosewood nut and saddle which may account for a previous poster's comment about it sounding dead. Mine, different not dead. On my KPK the tuners are fine and function flawlessly. I personally do not judge and instrument on it's headstock shape or decal since neither has an effect on the sound or playability. You can't go wrong with either choice.

I agree with guitarsnrotts. what it looks like is trivial. I have a KPK concert regular and I asked Jason to switch out the nut and saddle to bone. She absolutely SINGS, and after the strings settled she stays in tune. I do agree however that the decal on the headstock is not the greatest looking one, but I bought her for the solid wood and affordability so it doesn't bother me not one bit. I have pictures of her in my signature, she is a beautiful instrument.

I agree with guitarsnrotts. what it looks like is trivial. I have a KPK concert regular and I asked Jason to switch out the nut and saddle to bone. She absolutely SINGS, and after the strings settled she stays in tune. I do agree however that the decal on the headstock is not the greatest looking one, but I bought her for the solid wood and affordability so it doesn't bother me not one bit. I have pictures of her in my signature, she is a beautiful instrument.

I too, agree. I have the concert cutaway, and KPK was definitely the best bang for my buck for a concert with cutaway. I find that the tuners are fine (no worse than my cheapo Makai's tuners, which do a fine job) and hold a tune. I also asked to have the nut ans saddle for bone, and it really does sing all the way up the fretboard. Yes, the headstock and decal aren't the greatest, but I don't care too much about how my instrument looks as long as it sounds great, which it does.

Solid wood is the way to go. I own both a Mainland mango pineapple and a KPK acacia pineapple. Both came set up beautifully. Different sounding instruments altogether. The Mainland mango reminds me of a cross between koa and mahogany and the KPK acacia with the bone nut has a lovely lilting sound just like acacia koa. I purchased the KPK to replace a KPK soprano I had gifted to someone who had fallen in love with it at first hearing ! The KPK pineapple has a tad more volume and projection than the KPK standard soprano I owned. My KPK soprano had the rosewood nut. The tuners on the KPK acacia work fine. I can't comment on the Mainland mahogany. However I own an Ohana sk-38. That has a real mahogany "bark" that is hard to beat for the money except for my Brüko #6. But that is another story. And I almost forgot to add - the Mainland has the nicest logo if you are buying for a nice logo.

Alrighty. Looks like im going to go for the KPK with the bone conversion. The pictures on the website dont look to bad. I kinda like the decal. TBH i like the look of the KPK better just because you can choose a satin finish and it doesnt have the stripes around the entire body like the mainland. Woo. Now i just have to wait for that paycheck. Haha.

Thanks everyone! You all have been a real help! im looking forward to spending more time on this site and learning how to make my uke sing. :)

Top Bottom