16th season of the Ukulele contest

I don't know if I'll get an entry in this week, but I already feel like I've won. I started thinking about whether there were any Fairport Convention songs I could reasonably do. This got me thinking about their song "Sloth", which is too recent to be eligible. Long song short, over the past hour I've figured out the chords and learned to play it. So whatever happens, thanks Ukuloonie!

Great I always look forward to seeing your ideas and playing,
it helps me get to know new songs, to learn and stretch my skills

I'm thinking that I need to also find some songs too, not that I can enter but I still like the hunt and the challenge

I am getting off to an early start on this one... sort of to celebrate the diamond jubilee :biglaugh:

This is beautiful, without your sound effects (which I love) we can really hear how great your voice is, lovely melody, great singing and strumming, well done... thanks :)

thanks for this week Drew. Took the challenge to learn something new and fell in love all over again. Thankfully I got the 'magic words' out just as the camera ran out of memory..he he.

Thanks Jon, That was cool and heartfelt playing, I liked how you picked out the melody. It worked really well.
It is going to be some great surprises what people choose to play and sing this week.

Last edited:
thanks for this week Drew. Took the challenge to learn something new and fell in love all over again. Thankfully I got the 'magic words' out just as the camera ran out of memory..he he.

That was just beautiful... nothin else to say... speechless... awed...

All right, I strapped on my best affected British accent and my tiple to play this traditional song I know from Fairport Convention's "Babbacombe Lee" album.

All right, I strapped on my best affected British accent and my tiple to play this traditional song I know from Fairport Convention's "Babbacombe Lee" album.

Pretty cool song choice I was toe tapping by the end of the song

In the true folk tradition the melody is stolen
The original is "Sweet Betsy from Pike"

In fact that melody has been used for a large number of songs. The earliest, as far as I know is an English song called "Villikins and his Dinah". The song is widely accepted as the origin of the melody.

I am getting off to an early start on this one... sort of to celebrate the diamond jubilee :biglaugh:

The Stone of Scone (Scottish Gaelic: An Lia Fàil), also known as the Stone of Destiny
and often referred to in England as The Coronation Stone, is an oblong block of red
sandstone, used for centuries in the coronation of the monarchs of Scotland and later
the monarchs of England, Great Britain and the United Kingdom.

Historically, the artifact was kept at the now-ruined Scone Abbey in Scone, near Perth,
Scotland. Other names by which it has sometimes been known include Jacob's Pillow Stone.
Legends place the origins in Biblical times and consider the stone to be the
Stone of Jacob taken by Jacob while in Haran (Genesis 28:10-22).
Others consider it to be the Tanist Stone.

On Christmas Day 1950, a group of four Scottish students (Ian Hamilton, Gavin Vernon,
Kay Matheson, and Alan Stuart) took the Stone from Westminster Abbey for return to Scotland.
In the process of removing it from the Abbey the stone broke into two pieces.

A major search for the stone had been ordered by the British Government,
but this proved unsuccessful. Perhaps assuming that the Church would not return
it to England, the stone's custodians left it on the altar of Arbroath Abbey,
on 11 April 1951, in the safekeeping of the Church of Scotland.

Once the London police were informed of its whereabouts, the Stone was returned
to Westminster. Afterwards, rumours circulated that copies had been made of the Stone,
and that the returned Stone was not in fact the original.

Great song wee_ginga, and lovely to hear your singing voice all pure, it was great, really enjoyed it and the story telling as well, top notch, well done

Absolutely gorgeous Jon, your playing was fantastic and ever and sung so well with passion and feeling, loved it, and the bari sounds amazing, well done mate :)

Okey Dokey folks, here is my entry, please forgive me i realised that after uploading i had forgotten to say "16th season of the ukulele" my only excuse is my brain is on melt down from all the jubilee hype and pomp and circumstance, not a fun time if your a republican :(
Anyway the song i have chosen dates back to the 1700's and is based on real events surrounding a chimney sweep called Jack Hall.

In 1701 a chimney named Jack Hall was hanged for burglary. These lyrics were written by an English comic minstrel, C.W. Ross, in the 1850's.

The version I have covered was recorded by the Legendary Man in Black Johnny Cash.

Last edited:
So far these entries are great!!!

I'm going to try 'A Beggin' I Will Go'.... :)

Top Bottom