Makala Concert or Tenor?

iRockskinnies

Reaction score
I've heard these two and they sound almost exactly the same, with the concert being brighter. I'm not sure which one is better though. I've seen a lot of videos/reviews about the tenor more than the concert. I'm starting to lean toward the concert, but is it as good as a tenor? Does size make the sound better/worse?

I've heard these two and they sound almost exactly the same, with the concert being brighter. I'm not sure which one is better though. I've seen a lot of videos/reviews about the tenor more than the concert. I'm starting to lean toward the concert, but is it as good as a tenor? Does size make the sound better/worse?

I've been playing my MK-C for over six months now and I love it to bits. Fantastic uke, good sound, good volume, and decent sustain. Great way to dig in. I tried out an MK-T in a store and it just didn't quite jive with me. I am realizing that I'm a definite fan of the concert size though. The tenor is just a hair big for me, but, I'm a whopping 5'2" girl with pretty darn small hands, so, please bear it in mind.

Go for the size that feels more comfortable, of course.
I'll tell you what I did.
I bought a good tenor (Islander MT-4) for home use. Full sound, spacious fretboard. Good for figuring out things, working out arrangements and developing strong, nimble hands. The wider frets are more forgiving to finger placement so you can finesse your technique more easily. And the increased loudness and fullness of a tenor allows you to better control your strumming, your fingerpicking and your tone.
Later I bought a soprano (Dolphin) as a beater. Adjusting to the much smaller scale has not been as hard as I anticipated.
I have the best of both worlds now.
A concert is obviously the best solution if you just want one uke for now.

Top Bottom