nUUb Minutes: weekly nUUbies challenge

I was reading how to do the Em ... barre on the second chord, middle finger on 2nd string next fret, ring finger 3rd string next fret ... fingers held in that position ... but no ukulele in my hand. But, hopefully my hand being held like that will help me to remember until I have a chance to sit and practice it a bit.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Though I am not far along in my journey of nuubularity, I have found that using this technique means I no longer have any chords I avoid. Form the chord properly a few hundred times over a few days and there is no looking back.

C to Em is one of the transitions I used the metronome technique for (trying to learn Over the Rainbow, of course) and I have no problem with Em at all now. It is the second chord in the series I used as an example from "Always look on the Bright Side of Life." I think I moved pretty smoothly in and out of it (except when I was pretending not to). Four days of C-Em-C-Em-C-Em-C-Em (and so on) about ten minutes at a shot, three or four times (or more) a day and I was there! TRY IT!

Consider this: Every other beat at 80 bpm = 40 chords per minute, only half of which are Em. So 20 Em/minute at ten minutes = 200 Em chords. Do that only one time a day for five days and you've formed Em 1000 times. Now I admit that in ten minutes of doing this as a nUUb I had to break a few times for cramping or diaper changes (for my daughter, not me) and whatnot. But I did it more than once a day. Do it three to four times a day and you have up to 4000 times you've formed the Em chord. That should be enough repitition to make it effortless. TRY IT!

I also found that OldePhart was right about using your hand like a rubber stamp. (READ THAT THREAD, nUUbies!) Using an "anchor finger" and placing the fingers one at a time really slows down your chord transitions.

Whit: I made the shirt (and thanks). The image I created is posted in the nUUbies group and iron-on transfers for inkjet printers are fairly cheap.

Last edited:
Glad I could help out! My current chord nemesis is Em - it's not a hard shape, I just can't seem to find it cleanly and in tempo. Maybe someone around here has a trick or two for that one?

Just keep practising it is the only way.

I also found that OldePhart was right about using your hand like a rubber stamp. (READ THAT THREAD, nUUbies!) Using an "anchor finger" and placing the fingers one at a time really slows down your chord transitions.

I believe this is true, and yet I have a HORRIBLE time doing it with any chord that requires fingers on four strings (unless barred). I just can't seem to form that stamp in advance and the fingers find their way in relation to one another. I will keep practicing . . .

Just wanted to add that this has been a very helpful thread. Both of the videos were quite informative and now I have inspiration to practice my Em until I get it down.

This was great! Pootsie, you make me proud to be a nUUb :)

I made another video, and did it start to finish even though I flubbed a chord.

Freeda, did I hear right, is this your own composition? If it is, it's fantastic! SO impressed! And you've a good voice, lucky you..... little nUUb caterpillar become a real butterfly! Get those videos out there in the video room of the Forum, girl!!!!!

Thanks for posting this. I've been thumbing my chords for forever. Having a really hard time unlearning this. My thumb just wants to barre those strings. If only my brain had the memory of my thumb muscles. The last way you demonstrated in this video is a lot easier for me.

Top Bottom