Noob Challenge Week One!

Great! Those are my kind of rules.

I've begun transcribing any song I learn (well enough to play in front of family) into a moleskine. No real reason - it's just easier to carry around than printed papers and random books.

It means I have less need to memorize, though I can see memorization as being useful. I've always had a problem remembering the words...

I'm doing Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison. It has simple chords (C F G7 A) and a nice strumming pattern with chunking. I shot a practice video today with my iPhone. This is just one verse to check the audio/video quality.

What I learned from this experiement...
Forgot that the air conditioner was on in the background. The final take will have to be in the spare bedroom.
Forgot to wait a few seconds after pushing record, so it didn't catch the first strum.
Forgot to take the tuner off the headstock before shooting.
Forgot what my hair looks like... must wear a hat.
Forgot the faces I make when I sing. Perhaps a mask?

What's up with all these noobs thinking they're noobs? You did great, dude!

My boldness far outweighs my talents. :) But that's fine, I figure I'm only here to amuse myself, amusing others is a bonus!

This is rough, but it wasn't getting any smoother with multiple takes. Screw it. :)

What a lovely voice! Did you say you wrote it?

Well, since we have practice videos, I give you...

THE WORLD'S MOST BORING UKULELE VIDEO

I'm serious about that metronome thing and, as you can see, I have a lot of work to do on the transition from G to B.

Seeso, thanks for hanging out with us nUUbs. And thanks to any experienced ukers lurking here, please speak up and tell us where we can improve!

You're getting it, dude! That's a tough transition.

Last edited:
I'm gonna try to practice enough so I can play Viva la Vida by Colplay all the way through.
~~~

edit: actually, I change my mind, I think I'm gonna do The Cure's Boys Don't Cry instead!

Last edited:
Ok, since other people are posting their practice videos I think I'll post mine too :D

Ok, since other people are posting their practice videos I think I'll post mine too :D

You're too young to know that tune! I love it. Great job! Please do the whole song next time, eh?

You're too young to know that tune! I love it. Great job! Please do the whole song next time, eh?

hahha but it's a classic! Never too young to enjoy the classics :D

And I will! I just need to fully memorize the lyrics, I don't wanna be caught looking off to the side referring to my notes n__n;

Sounding good, aleksxoxo!

thank you!

Ok, I'm going to claim Ukulele de Chocobo from Ukulele Hunt... Here is to hoping I can get it learned.

What a lot of inspiration here in the first week of the nUUb challenge! Way to go ook'ers!

I'm working hard on a couple of fingerpicking songs. I'll take the leap and record one or the other on my iPhone soon and try post it here.

:D Me Happy :)
Got my uke tuned today, (Thanks Hal!!!) and now I know what "setting" it has to be on on my tuner for it to really be in tune. It sonds sooooooo much better. And I feel better playing it.
Since the worship team plays tomorrow, I practiced both the songs I'll be playing along with; sounded alot better tonight. And after a few tries I was able to go through them both with only a couple of flub ups.
Then I worked on "Morning Has Broken". Discovered I've been playing 2 of the chords wrong, so have to re-learn thouse ... but have made progess on that as well.
Good day for this nuub :D

Huge step forward here!
An admission...when we first got ukes I got on here and everyone was talking about Aquila strings. Easy enough- I bought some and put them on. Played them for three weeks and took them off to throw them away-they were horrible. Strung up a new set- same horrible sound...wait a minute? So I cranked them tighter, thinking the whole time I was going to break the top right off my ukulele (a 1940 Martin Type 3). Got them up to tune and guess what- they sounded perfect.
Playing strings an octave low is way worse than fighting with the tuner :)

:D Me Happy :)
Got my uke tuned today, (Thanks Hal!!!) and now I know what "setting" it has to be on on my tuner for it to really be in tune. It sonds sooooooo much better. And I feel better playing it.
Since the worship team plays tomorrow, I practiced both the songs I'll be playing along with; sounded alot better tonight. And after a few tries I was able to go through them both with only a couple of flub ups.
Then I worked on "Morning Has Broken". Discovered I've been playing 2 of the chords wrong, so have to re-learn thouse ... but have made progess on that as well.
Good day for this nuub :D

Top Bottom