My BruceWeiart Tenor soild Acacia wood sound sample.

GKK

Reaction score
Here's a one take sound sample I promised I'd make from this previous thread http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65524-My-new-Bruce-Weiart-Uke-is-here!.

I recorded it using my iPhone 4 since that was the simplest way for me.

After filing down the Nut slots and lowering the Bridge and Saddle, the BruceWeiart Tenor uke plays nice and sounds good compared to my very high Quality Tenor Pono.

The BruceWeiart uke has Aquila strings and the Pono has Fremont Blacklines.

http://youtu.be/5lnqfRmmUZY

Last edited:
Cool, so what is YOU opinion, since its the one that matter? Ya happy with it?

As far as my opinion, sounds pretty good for the money, but I might have heard a slight buzz, but that might also been the sound quality of a phone camera. The Pono does sound fuller/richer though. Not as shallow, but not sure if that is a fair comparison.

Aloha,
Sounds like my KPK Tenor, good sounds for the price.
Congrats,........................BO....................

This video was just to show that a BruceWeiart ukulele does not just look good but also, sounds decent when set up properly.

Compared to the Pono which sounds really bright and rich but also, costs about $600 more... the Bruceweiart uke at $139 shipped, is not the Vietnamese junk a lot of people seem too think it is.

I used the Pono as a comparison because that's the only other Tenor Uke I have. The Buzzes you hear are from my playing (only been playing about a year and a half).

I bought the BruceWeiart uke to practice with in my room and to eventually give away to one of my niece's when they're ready for it.

Last edited:
I agree. I have had in my hands and set up at least a couple dozen of Bruce's ukes. I think they are really nice for the money, and can rival many $400 or so uke out there, for less than half the money. I like Bruce's ukes. But like you said, they generally need a good set up after ya get it, because he doesn't work much on that, but over all does build a decent uke. I have 3 or 4 of them in my personal arsenal.

i've got a little sopranino Bruce and its solid and well made with a sweet sound as well, i am well happy with it for the price

I bought a Bruce Wei Pineapple Tenor for my husband's 75th birthday late last year & he is just LOVING it!! He has never played an instrument before & is quite good at the basic chords now.
bruce wei tenor ukulele.jpg

It also needed a 'decent setup' but, for the price, it is still a damn nice uke that sounds terrific!

I wouldn't hesitate recommending anyone else buying one - just be aware that a further $30-50 may be needed on setting up costs!

cheers

Roberta

I was in communication with Bruce throughout the setting up of the uke & he was pleased with the happy resolution

Last edited:
Bruce wanted me to send him the sound sample I made and he also, thanked me for my advise and said, he would make the recommended corrections. :)

cheers for the demo mate. I'd be interested to hear the two ukes with the same strings myself. The Pono to me sounded much nicer - warmer, richer and more resonant - but those aquilas can be pretty abrasive and harsh on the wrong uke. Thanks for taking the time to do this GKK

cheers for the demo mate. I'd be interested to hear the two ukes with the same strings myself.

Thanks, eugene... I actually had a spare set of Fremont Blacklines so, I installed the set on the Bruceweiart uke just to see what it would sound like compared to the Pono but, the Fremont Blacklines sounded very dull and not as bright. I reinstalled the Aquila's and the sound brightened back up.

I never tried the Aquila's on the Pono though, since I really like the sound of the Fremonts.

Last edited:
Looks and sounds lovely. I did notice a little buzz too though. Hope you love it!

Cool, so what is YOU opinion, since its the one that matter? Ya happy with it?

As far as my opinion, sounds pretty good for the money, but I might have heard a slight buzz, but that might also been the sound quality of a phone camera. The Pono does sound fuller/richer though. Not as shallow, but not sure if that is a fair comparison.
i agree, i used to own this bruceweiart but i sold it for other reason.

Also, for what it's worth, I have bought and sold this model of Bruce ukes in both Acacia, and Mahogany. Very nice model for him, but I found I loved the mahog version of this uke of his over the acacia, because of all the ones I set up and sold of his, the mahogs were warmer, richer, and a bit louder than the acacia. But his ukes are cheap enough, and if you love this style of his, I recommend you picking up another one up in Mahog too, just so you can have the tighter tone, and the warmer tone to switch back and forth to.. ;)

Bruce replied to me and said, he took my advise and lowered the string height and said, "the sound turned out much better!" :D

Yeah, Bruce is a pretty cool guy, and very open to suggestions. About a year or so ago, I spoke with him about using Aquilas on his ukes, over the ones he used to use, which were total crap, which he also took, and has been shipping his with Aquilas since. Pretty cool that he listens so openly to his customers. Something to be said about that.

Just joined this forum.... thinking of buying a Bruce Weiart Tenor in mahogany, he has a number on ebay at the moment... any thoughts as to the difference the type of wood might make? They seem to be very reasonably priced and look good.

There are tons of wood disccusions in the forums.

Mahogany will give you a darker, warmer tone. Acacia is slightly tighter brighter tone. Maple will give you even a brighter tone still.

Allot will determine tone tho, wood it is made from is only one of many contributing factors. But as it pertains to Bruce Wei ukes, I have bought, set up and sold 20+ of them, and pretty much in all cases this is what I have found in his ukes. Mahogany, nice warm tone, some louder than other's though. His acacia to me seemed shallow, but still a nice tone. Definatly brighter than the mahogany, but volume was considerably less. His Maple, very bright tone. Volume was very low and you will need to find the right strings because volume varied greatly between string manufactures more on the maple than the others.

All nice tone with a good set up. Bruce's ukes need a good set up upon opening the box.

Top Bottom