17th season of the ukulele...

All right, got it uploaded.

Be careful what you wish for, Dave. With only one take, I had to record when I thought I had the best chance of getting through without an interruption. Which meant not taking an hour to do my vocal warmups. Which meant my voice is...umm...unseemly. These are notes I usually hit, but I just might have done some yelling at the TV set during last night's Celtics game. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is a song called "Paper Kitten Nightmare" by a band called Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.

wow! that was great! a song i've never heard and a tricky one as well! thanks for starting us off!

Teach Me Tiger by April Stevens plays when I open the website...that is freaking stupendous!!!
Ladies- you gotta do this one for this week...it will just be creepy if I do it

yeah how cool is that Dave. What a song. What a woman. Dave clearly has a nice vibe going at Sparky's...creepy? na mate...just change the lyric from tiger to kitten and nobody will be concerned about you :p

Oh...My...God...OK- that is the freaking raddest thing that has ever happened on the Underground. I totally and completely hand over the rights to ThesillyDave...I am just the kinda funny sometimes on a good day Dave.
Truly, that made my life more complete Dave- thank you so much for doing it so I do not have to.
What a great old tune.
Theotherdave

oops! you found one of my favorite songs!

hey
so Im checking out the seasons like I always do and discover that sillydaves cafe has like almost 2 dozen kinds of beer.. " silly" dave.... silly like a fox I say.

I immediatly decide I need one of SPARKY'S ROADHOUSE CAFE's tee shirts since its my new favorite eatery and hangout joint when I am in the neighborhood.

so i decide ill do the Tajmahal classic on the banjo uke and play harp too.

I checked out them mountain sprout fellas and not only would i bet there is a banjo player or two in the family tree but i bet they feel ,like i do ,that being left a mule to ride is the best of the deal.

my problem..i hate the harp rack, never ciould use one so never did ( cant play and play harp at same time) and its the tool of the devil.

so i dig up the harp rack and decide to do a test an see if i could be heard vocally over the banjo and the harp befor practicing all week and them recording some thing.

and ended up with enough that i have in good faith to call it a take not a test.

on the bright side i am pretty relaxed compared to usual and ended up pulling off a more complicated strum rythym than i was planning to use.

its first thing in the morming, you can see my cup of tea on the railing on the far right. I am wondering if in a contsest where the first take counts does the mic test have to be in one take.. my first ( with a big smile ) words are " a test for the seventeenth season of the uke mr"

the camera is sitting on the railing..you can see it bounce when i tap my foot

a great contest dave..thanks

good luck every body

eor

where the heck have you been?

Busy, brother! I lost my job at Christmas, so had to race around to figger out my life - really fun to do at 43! - and finally settled on playing the ukulele for a living.
Then I had to bust my narrow, pink, Irish bottom to be ready to play a three hour straight through set!
I'm now settled in to that and learned about 25 - 30 new songs over the past two weeks (UWC is an amazing place to learn a grajillion new things!), so I can relax a smidge and do more fun things, like a video for the contest.

I couldn't be happier that this is still happening, by the way! You guys are amazing!

Sounds beautiful and you really pulled out all the stops with a bare knee and a bonus track to boot... hmm... everything but a silly hat ;)
Check:
1) Football jersey of the despised "dirty leeds"
2) Bare knee
3) Bonus track "Sonic the hegdehog" with EXTRA ATTITUDE
4) Love song involving sheep.

Wow eor! this really sounds great! I'm so glad you got out the harp, sent shivers down my spine when I heard it coupled with the steady rhythm of the banjouke... and the rock steady stomping held it all together perfectly, kinda reminded me a little bit of the kick drum sounds emanating from the trunks of some of the cars in my neighborhood ;)
hey
so Im checking out the seasons like I always do and discover that sillydaves cafe has like almost 2 dozen kinds of beer.. " silly" dave.... silly like a fox I say.

I immediatly decide I need one of SPARKY'S ROADHOUSE CAFE's tee shirts since its my new favorite eatery and hangout joint when I am in the neighborhood.

so i decide ill do the Tajmahal classic on the banjo uke and play harp too.

I checked out them mountain sprout fellas and not only would i bet there is a banjo player or two in the family tree but i bet they feel ,like i do ,that being left a mule to ride is the best of the deal.

my problem..i hate the harp rack, never ciould use one so never did ( cant play and play harp at same time) and its the tool of the devil.

so i dig up the harp rack and decide to do a test an see if i could be heard vocally over the banjo and the harp befor practicing all week and them recording some thing.

and ended up with enough that i have in good faith to call it a take not a test.

on the bright side i am pretty relaxed compared to usual and ended up pulling off a more complicated strum rythym than i was planning to use.

its first thing in the morming, you can see my cup of tea on the railing on the far right. I am wondering if in a contsest where the first take counts does the mic test have to be in one take.. my first ( with a big smile ) words are " a test for the seventeenth season of the uke mr"

the camera is sitting on the railing..you can see it bounce when i tap my foot

a great contest dave..thanks

good luck every body

eor

All right, got it uploaded.

Be careful what you wish for, Dave. With only one take, I had to record when I thought I had the best chance of getting through without an interruption. Which meant not taking an hour to do my vocal warmups. Which meant my voice is...umm...unseemly. These are notes I usually hit, but I just might have done some yelling at the TV set during last night's Celtics game. :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is a song called "Paper Kitten Nightmare" by a band called Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.

What a cool cat! Great starter!

First take...as evidenced by the horrible wash out in the video and me reading the lyrics I forgot (sigh)
Three chords and some whistling...
and a double entendre so blatant I think it is a single entendre (to borrow a phrase from Jnobianchi).
Remarkably dirty blues tune from 1942, Let Me Play With Your Poodle- Tampa Red.
I learned it from Hank Penny.
Thanks for the week Dave- this has already been more amusing than I could have imagined

First take...as evidenced by the horrible wash out in the video and me reading the lyrics I forgot (sigh)
and a double entendre so blatant I think it is a single entendre (to borrow a phrase from Jnobianchi).
Thanks for the week Dave- this has already been more amusing than I could have imagined

Marvelous whistling... I bet the poodles for miles around were scratching down your door:eek:ld:

another perfect first take! wow, you are a great singer... loved it, brings back memories, 15 years old listening to this and other 78's on my best friend's dad's victrola... thanks :)

Top Bottom