Cool Pohaku "Steampunk" soprano by Peter Hurney available

pepamahina

Reaction score
There's a new Pohaku available from Peter Hurney on his website. His custom list is a mile long so ukes just available for purchase on his website are few. This one is pretty cool! http://www.pohakuukulele.com/pages/steampunkone.html
I can testify that his ukuleles sound as good as they look too. We'll see how long it lasts...

been oogling over that too Lisa, and the other few up for sale. His work is inspirational and the stuff of a true artistic genius. Wonderful site, would love to play one in person one day.

I saw this one when it was in the works. Peter showed me a book of steampunk art that inspired this uke. I never heard of steampunk before. I think it turned out pretty cool! I hope I can try it out soon before it sells...

I saw this one when it was in the works. Peter showed me a book of steampunk art that inspired this uke. I never heard of steampunk before. I think it turned out pretty cool! I hope I can try it out soon before it sells...
got any pics or links to your two Eric?..would love to see em...that blondie island girl tenor is something special

Eugene, I have played several of Peter's ukuleles and I can tell you, they are wonderful. If you ever get the chance to grab one, do it!

Last edited:
wow, just checked out the group. Those ukes are amazing, every one of them..Lisa's, Ginny's, yours Eric. the guy is incredible. Shucks, I want to join the group just for the eye candy!!!! But that blonde island girl tenor....gee...gonna have me some sweet sweet dreams tonight :)

I sent an email to Peter just to say I thought the uke was cool, and he said it has sold, but he says Steampunk 2 is nearing completion....for my sake I hope it isn't a tenor.
Isn't it morning in Oz Jon? But I know what you mean about the dreaming!

I sent an email to Peter just to say I thought the uke was cool, and he said it has sold, but he says Steampunk 2 is nearing completion....for my sake I hope it isn't a tenor.

sold??? What, just since this thread started? sheesh.

yeah Lisa, morning here but sweet dreams are worth waiting for he he...mya who??? :p

Sold already? Dang!

And thanks Jon, the Blondie sure is a sweetheart!

Guess I'm in the definite minority here, but that look doesn't do anything for me, but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I respect that. I very recently had an opportunity to purchase a Pohaku resonator for a very reasonable price, cheap almost, but just couldn't get past the molded plastic cover plate and cheap looking wire grating. Again, not trying to dis anyone here as the Pohakus seem to have a very loyal, almost rabid following and I have yet to play one, so I may be in for a real treat if and when I do. It's just that I personally don't get off on weird just for weird's sake and feel just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. My 2 cents worth and in no way meant to disparage those who feel entirely opposite. Different strokes for different folks :)

Guess I'm in the definite minority here, but that look doesn't do anything for me, but as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I respect that. I very recently had an opportunity to purchase a Pohaku resonator for a very reasonable price, cheap almost, but just couldn't get past the molded plastic cover plate and cheap looking wire grating. Again, not trying to dis anyone here as the Pohakus seem to have a very loyal, almost rabid following and I have yet to play one, so I may be in for a real treat if and when I do. It's just that I personally don't get off on weird just for weird's sake and feel just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. My 2 cents worth and in no way meant to disparage those who feel entirely opposite. Different strokes for different folks :)

yeah, agreed, the steampunk doesn't do it for me but wow, all the others do!!! I think he's a great artist and it's hard to find anyone who owns one who isn't gone on the tone of his ukes which is what we're all after in the end I guess

I think if you don't like steampunk in general that you also wouldn't like this uke. I think steampunk is a fun style so it goes over well with me. It is "weird" in a very specific steampunk way that fans will appreciate. I haven't seen a Pohaku resonator in person, but I can tell you that my Pohaku isn't "cheap" in any way. That said, never be afraid to say what you think. Everyone's opinion is always welcome here in my experience!

I love steam punk but the gears should look like they have some use. Otherwise, it's just like that song...

(Otherwise I just love his stuff though)

And I hope he made th octopus. I really really hope he made the octopus. If he got one of those ones resellers get from Alibaba and mass sell on Etsy, those are a bit of a punch line.

Peter's style may not be for everyone I agree. I never thought I would own a uke that looked like the Blondie Island Girl tenor, I'm more into traditional looking instruments. But all it took was one strum and I was hooked.

I love steam punk but the gears should look like they have some use. Otherwise, it's just like that song...(Otherwise I just love his stuff though)

Ha ha ha! Love the video.
Hmmm, I see what you mean. It would definitely be much better if the gears looked like they were actually involved with the working of the tuners rather than placed above them. I really like the weathered and riveted look of the top though. Pity we can't hear a sound clip.

Ha ha ha! Love the video.
Hmmm, I see what you mean. It would definitely be much better if the gears looked like they were actually involved with the working of the tuners rather than placed above them. I really like the weathered and riveted look of the top though. Pity we can't hear a sound clip.

And it's so close to looking like the gears work with the tuners... Close but not really. It's that and the dreaded regretsy octopus that kills it for me.

But we gotta know it probably sounds great.

I really debated making the comment I did at all for fear that it would be interpreted as me disrespecting Peter's work, and that's not it at all. I would absolutely love to try and possibly own one of his more traditional style tenor ukes and from all I can gather, he is certainly one of the more respected builders out there on the scene today. Here's the resonator I was talking about that I passed on, not this particular one but another nearly identical one:

http://www.pohakuukulele.com/pages/res_moonburst.html

I believe this uke is probably exquisitely made, but I personally had a slight problem with the molded plastic cover plate on a $1000 uke. I get it that it's different and kind of art deco and all that, and that it may very well appeal to others, but it just didn't geehaw with my sensibilities, that's all. But again, to each their own. I'm pondering seriously ordering the cutaway option on my upcoming Mya-Moe build, and there are certainly plenty of folks in the camp who absolutely abhor that idea, so I understand and appreciate folks having different tastes.

The ukulele looks AWESOME. I especially like those little cogs next to the octopus.

I think a resonator or banjo uke would look most steampunk. This is neat, though. Just not my cup-'o-tea

Top Bottom