Fake Flea and Makala Dolphin Sound Comparison

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
The Schoenhut fake Flea (or "Flake" as UUers have dubbed it) is strung with Aquilas. The Dolphin - which, as you can see, has stickers on the body and peg tuners - is strung with Martin Flurocarbins.

http://soundcloud.com/ukisociety-jones/makala-dolphin-and-schoenhut

7361664298_7edf5efa70_b.jpg

Amazing that the Shoenhut with Aquilas is still quite a bit quieter and less distinct in tone than the Dolphin with Martins. I know my Ohana Sk-35 is quieter with Martins (but sounds better with them), than with Aquilas. There is just no substitute for a good soundboard.

When you're buying an instrument for your kids to learn on, or just blang around with, "quieter" is a desirable feature.

Still, I think my $30 is better spent on a Dolphin. I'd rather have a low-end playable instrument than a high-end toy.

Thanks for the comparison I think I may go with the dolphin over the Schoenhut for my little one, might as well get one that can be played for a long time rather than a higher end toy as bpedaci said...

In one of the posts on another thread on the Shoenhut, they posted a court case where the Shoenhut were arguing that one of their offerings (piano?) was a toy, not a real instrument. It had something to do with the amount of taxes levied on it. They may be happy to have the Flake classified the same way, as I am sure FMM would be too. Interesting series of threads and comparisons. Thanks Alan.

Dolphin for me, no brainer

Thank you, Alan, for the sound clips. I knew the flake couldn't hold it's own to the Flea, but I was curious to see how well it would do against something like the Dolphin. That was very helpful.

I just think it's awesome that your Dolphin has Erin McKeown's autograph--- I love her!

Thanks for the comparisons Alan. Interesting, the flake sounded much better on the upper frets than I was expecting. What do you know, the molded plastic fingerboard design works even on a toy.

Interesting comparison, Alan. The intonation on the Flake is actually slightly better than the Dolphin - though both could benefit from a touch of the nut files, I'm thinking.

The Dolphin definitely has the better volume, considering that my experience with M600 strings has them giving up a fair amount of volume to Aquilas. Of course, Dolphins (and probably the Flakes) are so variable that the next Dolphin off the line might reverse that. The Flakes are probably just as variable.

John

Very nice to hear both comparisons. Thanks for taking the time to do this, Ukisociety.

Uhh... On your sound sample I much prefer the Schoenhut to the Dolphin.

I agree with the Flake. Dolphin is louder but that doesn't equate to a better sound.

I think some people just like the tone of pure strings better than the sound of the instrument vibrating. That can often mean they like the sound of an acoustically dead instrument better than one that resonates. I know in my case, I once had a Cordoba tenor that was very dead acoustically, but had a great (if quiet) tone and also sounded great plugged in.

Great comparison! I had 2 Schoenhuts (bought one, had a buz, company told me to keep that one and they sent me a second one, which also had buzz). I've had over 10 Dolphins. Still have most of my Dolphins. Got rid of the Schoenhuts a long time ago. I also put M600s on my Dolphins - great tone, very playable. Intonation is excellent on some, passable on others. They are all great fun to play!

Top Bottom