Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KoAloha KCM-00 vs. Martin C1K

I like the KoAloha better, but it might be the strings. The new Martin fluorocarbons have a nice vibrant timbre, but the tone is not as . . . "meaty" as thicker strings like nylguts. I say this not knowing what factory strings come on the KoAloha. If the KoAloha has comparable fluorocarbons, then I'm even more impressed. I was contemplating getting the Martin, but now I'm not so sure.

There are moments when, to my ears, each shines. I can easily hear why some would prefer one over the other. I didn't expect the Martin to sound like the Ko'Aloha, it didn't. Wouldn't say either is "better". The cheapskate in me loves the Martin's price while the Ko'Aloha's woody bark is hard to overlook.
    May come down to what kind of music would you most often play on them. Hmmm, may have to have both!!!!! That would solve the dilemma, yeah, "that's the ticket."

and another things to consider ais supporting a wonderful group of HI workers/craftsmen /family vs a giant multinational concern. I doubt if you can ring up Martin and talk to the owner and or the people that actually built your instrument. or the better than the weather warranty, which I've personally experienced.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Yeah, then there's that! Good point.

Nicely done video. I just read about the C1K and google sent me here. Elderly is out of these right now but there are some available at other stores. Elderly does a setup. Do these Martins need a setup fresh from the factory? Nice playing, also.

Quote Originally Posted by GeckoS View Post
    Nicely done video. I just read about the C1K and google sent me here. Elderly is out of these right now but there are some available at other stores. Elderly does a setup. Do these Martins need a setup fresh from the factory? Nice playing, also.
    Yes, i think the general consensus is that martins come from the factory with high action, but it depends on what you like of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bonesoup View Post
    Yes, i think the general consensus is that martins come from the factory with high action, but it depends on what you like of course.
    Not my experience at all...
    ...My S1 was set up perfectly out-of-the-box as was my friend's C1K.

I know, old forum posts...

BUT I had to say, the video Nuprin did sold me, and I have a Martin on the way!
    Lanikai LU-21C - Concert

Thread Information