half-guitar for 11 y.o.?

Here's an idea, an important one. If you go for a full size Guitar buy a Capo. Stick it on the 3rd or 4 th fret.
We usually teach Guitar starting from the hardest position i.e Fret 1. It's a mistake IMO. There are other pedagogues who agree with me. I even think it's a mistake to teach adults this way.
As his hand becomes accustomed to the stretch or as he grows, it's a very simple matter to notch the Capo down one fret.

Here's an idea, an important one. If you go for a full size Guitar buy a Capo. Stick it on the 3rd or 4 th fret.
We usually teach Guitar starting from the hardest position i.e Fret 1. It's a mistake IMO. There are other pedagogues who agree with me. I even think it's a mistake to teach adults this way.
As his hand becomes accustomed to the stretch or as he grows, it's a very simple matter to notch the Capo down one fret.

Good advice! This is what I am doing for myself, as i try the guitar again.

Thank you guys for the capo advice. I will suggest it, but as we have set him up with a teacher for at least a few lessons (and I am not a guitar player) we will stick with the "one teacher" rule and do as he says in that regard.

We found a used FG700s locally with case, capo & tuner for the cost of just guitar used, and then my son talked him down to even less. Good boy!

We should get it in a couple days!!!!:rock:

good choice, pootsie.... I played one of those recently - I was camping last month and the guy at the next campsite over had one.... also had a five year old son. It was an unexpected bonus - a playmate for my son and a beer drinking/strummin buddy for me - had several good nights around the campfire making s'mores and singing. his FG700 was very playable and had a good tone - a nice guitar.....

If you're looking for online instructional resources, you might check out http://www.justinguitar.com/. I've been helping my 70 year old father learn to play the last year or two and this site has been a big help - it's the best I've seen on the net. A sensible and detailed progression of lessons, all reinforced with quality videos. He also has a pretty impressive list of song tutorials, most with videos as well.....

Groovy!

I have been playing hand-drums for years so I know the feel of a good camp-fire jam, but I can't wait until I get to play a song with my son.

Thanks for the tips

Top Bottom