Getting rid of the "BUZZ" sound?

hawaiianmusiclover06

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I been playing my Kala solid spruce top concert ukulele and taking ukulele lessons for 2 weeks and I just noticed that I have a "buzz" sound when I play my ukulele. I asked my ukulele teacher about it and he recommend that I change my strings to a higher tension. What does that means? I'm clueless. Thanks for all your help.

I also have a Kala solid sprucetup and had the same problem with mine and the buzzing went away after the strings stretched out (the buzzing came from the E string vibrating on a fret wire). Since your uke is new your strings are probably still stretching. Your uke teacher suggested a higher tension string as a fix to get around that.

Thing is .. of all my ukes this is the only one that I've experienced this with.

could be that or if a fret is higher than another and when you press down it barely touches another fret causes a buzzing sound. that happened to me and my soprano uke, but i couldnt fix it so i donated it to my friend that was learning.

but the stretching might be it too. but check to see if all the frets are even.

do so by look at it when you press down starting from the first fret, and see if the string barely touches a fret when you pick.

I have noticed too that when I dont press hard enough I get a buzzing sometimes, very noticable on my Kala Spruce top Tenor with J-71 strings.

I took it in to my Uke guy he played around on it and couldn't get a buzz at all then I played for him and he said "press the strings harder and closer to the frets"

I read where the amount of presure you use to fret to get a clean sound is reduced to up by 80% once your technique matures. Keep practicing and you will sound better on hig tension and low tension strings.

Do all of you matured players (not phyically old. just play well) remember how hard you had to press when you first started as compared to now?

Another thing you can do is think of someone who ticks you off while playing, like your ex wife/girlfriend, kid in 3rd grade who pushed you in a ditch, parole officer, boss, etc. while playing. It might just naturally make you squeeze harder.

Buzzes can have alot of causes . . . sometimes the ends of your strings will buzz if they are too long.

I've had the too long string end buzz happen to me once.

I also once had a really loud buzz develop on my National. I was busking that day and it was driving me mad. I'd hold it up closer to my ear and try single strings, different frets, different chords, etc. and wouldn't hear the buzz. As soon as I started in on a song... BZZZZ!

Argh!

Finally I looked down and noticed that I'd hung my glasses from the front of my shirt where they could touch the back of the uke.

Doh!

Finally I looked down and noticed that I'd hung my glasses from the front of my shirt where they could touch the back of the uke.

Doh!

I've done that too, with buttons. Had all kind of theorys about the position and tension changing when I held it up to my ear. !!! WADF (I wonder if that is a known text abbeviation?)

When I started playing 6 weeks ago..:)... I would get the buzzing noise when a chord required more than 2 fingers to use. Specially when using my pinky and ring finger... I figured out that if I move my finger closer to the next fret, the buzzing would go away...well kinda. But I just kept practicing the same chords over and over and over again and not much buzzing noise any more.. Atleast on the chords I know how to hold (and my fingers to hurt as much).

I have a Kala KA-KC

same as me, i need new strings

Buzzes can have alot of causes,loose tuning peg parts,uneven nut,sometimes the ends of your strings will buzz if they are too long.

I just put new strings on a while ago today and noticed that one of them had a buzz. So I thought I'd give it a try to cut the end of my strings shorter...and amazingly, the buzz went away.

I had quite a loud buzzing the other day and realised after about half an hour of fiddling and playing different ways and freaking out a bit because I thought something inside had come off, that it was just the bit that you plug the amp lead into had unscrewed and come lose and it was vibrating. So check that if your Uke has electrics.

as bootleg as it sounds, try putting a tiny piece of paper between the string and nut.

also, ive had rattling problems with the geared tuning pegs before. on some tuning pegs, the part that you turn, and the skinny part that connects to the gears are not solid and the part you touch to turn it rattles a little. i put a small dab of superglue in the little crack where they meet and that seemed to do the trick perfectly!

Top Bottom