Ohana ukuleles needs your advice

What headstock should Ohana offer for the New Cedar Rosewood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ohana's new Cedar/ Spruce model should arrive later in the year. Ohana is a little on the fence about the headstock. Should they stick with a traditional style (3 point) or keep the curvy figure 8 headstock?
Your input is greatly appreciated.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think it looks like a child has designed it and made it (headstock) I really do not like it and would not buy one.

What looks weird to me is the combination of the "Figure 8" with geared tuners. Noob questions: Is this a tenor ukulele? Can a tenor have friction tuners?

So: Figure 8 with friction tuners, or 3-point with geared or friction tuners.

That's my nUUb 2 cents.

I think a slotted headstock might look killer on this uke

I don't like it.

Visually, it looks too heavy and like someone else said, it looks old fashion. I think the head stock you use now looks okay but, it would look better if it were shorter and maybe a little wider, in my opinion.

At first I didn't like it at all, but the more I look at it the more I like it. However, what really turns me off is the color. It just doesn't seem to go with the body. Too much contrast? The shape is ok, but like said, reminiscent of old fashioned, but lighten it up and more in line with body color, might be a winner. Lozark

I think the figure 8 headstock (you could also call it the "woman" headstock) is fairly attractive but I wouldn't buy a uke because of it. It's potentially a little lighter without losing strength...though they turn around and screw that up by putting those stinking geared tuners on it. In fact, that might be why so many people are saying they don't like the shape - it just makes those tuner "ears" that much more prominent. I think that headstock shape in particular should really only have friction tuners on it.

Of course, I'm not likely to be in the market for one anyway so the point is probably moot. :)

John

The short answer from me is don't keep it exactly as is. I like that it is a different shape from traditional (or current Ohana) but I wouldn't want it to be too thick or too heavy looking. I agree that maybe friction or better yet, Peghed tuners might be better on that style. In the photo at an angle the headstock looks much thicker than the uke next to it, that would be displeasing to me if that were the case. I'm all for non-traditional, however. I think traditional can be found when wanted... it's nice to have other options. Thanks for the chance to give input!

I also wonder how the Ohana "logo" would look on the figure 8 headstock...

I think you should keep it. For example, when I first saw a mya moe headstock I did not like the design at all but after all I have seen and heard I would not one without one. It is a signature. Stick to what you want and let the sound speak for itself.

I would keep it on for 6 months then decide how well it is received...It has the traditional old vintage style hawaiian design and of the old mainland banjo ukuleles..rolando, swingerland etc.
For me the protype headstock was too dark in the middle, maybe if you lighten it to the body back and sides to make a connection...intresting the contrasting lighter color wood on the wings of
the headstock...yes always keep pushing the envelope forward in research and design till you find creative ones that grabs us .....thank you for sharing and your constant desire to move forward
in designs and a for better product and asking for our input....

That is one of the nicest-looking instruments I've ever seen, except for the headstock. Replace that ugly thing with something more traditional, and I've found my next upgrade!

I think a slotted headstock might look killer on this uke
I agree with Phil on this one. I prefer slotted headstocks on my 'ukulele and guitars (Kala ASAC-T & Lakewood A-32 CP). Although the slotted headstock should only be on the Tenors and Baritones as it may be too heavy on a soprano or a concert IMHO.

I am not a big fan of the round topped Headstocks (Honu). I think the stripe design could be finessed a bit more. The dark stripe seems too wide, making the side stripes feel too thin. It is a matter of proportions. I like the idea of carrying the 3 piece design up into the headstock, but it would work well on a 3 point HS as well. Right now the dark center stripe feels a bit random, but if it was the same width and color as the fingerboard, it might make more sense. It is hard to know without seeing it first.
–Lori

Isn't it funny how some of the people that don't like it say you should use a more traditional headstock, and the ones that like it say it looks traditional?

I think you should keep it, and make a three pointed body to go with it! In the spirit of this bass guitar:

stig-pedersen-d-a-d.jpg

Jokes aside, I like it as it is, although I'm curious about what it would look like in a lighter colour, like if the stripe went all the way from the body.

Last edited:
This form of head had already be done by uke makers, and beautifully, but with friction pegs (even real wooden peg... like on older instruments). Look for the Stradelele by Joel Eckhaus of Earnest Ukes...
stradelele_hdstk.jpg
beautiful one used by the late John King...
But with geared tuners NO !!!

Last edited:
like the shape of the head stock not too keen on the bi colour
Friction tuners would look great too.

It would be nice to see something really new that gave visual interest, whilst retaining the simplicity and utility of the traditional patterns.

People have mentioned the Honu range by Big Island.

l_krp_head.jpg

I find the shape interesting -- it fits the name of the ukulele (turtle), and is refreshingly different from the usual Martin or banjo copies.

Ehm... friction tuners, though, please.

um....did anyone mention the uke should have friction tuners yet? :p

Quite seriously, the only reason I've never bought an Ohana is for the simple fact that I've never found one that comes set up with friction tuners...were there some Ohana models sans geared tuners I daresay I would already own more than one by now...

Top Bottom