Ohana ukuleles needs your advice

What headstock should Ohana offer for the New Cedar Rosewood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why can't more manufacturers experiment with 4-a-side headstock designs? Especially with cutaway Ukes.

Yes yes yes 1 million times yes. Certainly a Fender style headstock can be done that doesn't approach infringement on Fender. More brands and builders need to be offering this.

Yes yes yes 1 million times yes. Certainly a Fender style headstock can be done that doesn't approach infringement on Fender. More brands and builders need to be offering this.

The headstock on my Nohea is just one of the many things I love about it. Glad they went with a Tele' head and not a Strat' one though. There's just something about this style headstock that "works" on a small instrument such as a Uke'. Be interesting to see one with friction style tuners (I assume they're the ones that don't show from the front).

Last edited:
The first thing I did when I got my Ohana SK-20S was rip off those geared tuners and put on friction tuners.

I'd like to see the figure 8 shape stay. I also like the stripe. I think it is a thoughtful touch on an unusual looking uke.

I like both, but if I was looking for a new instrument, I'd undoubtedly prefer the new headstock.

I think the headstock should be the natural wood color also. It's the darkest color on the uke and makes it look top heavy. I just figured out why I don't like the shape of the headstock. It looks like Homer Simpson's head!

I definitely do not like it, but I am not as informed as the experts above. I would find the eight shape quite nice if it wasn't made of "white curves" and a "brown center beam". Seems like they did not manage to have it one piece. I know it's not true, but that's what I feel : so cheap compared to the body. Ohana could and should do much better.

I love the rest of the uke but absolutely hate the figure-8 headstock. Sorry to be brutally honest!

Why can't more manufacturers experiment with 4-a-side headstock designs? Especially with cutaway Ukes.

Probably because in-line tuners on such a small instrument mean you either have very little room for fingers or a headstock that is large in relation to the body and possibly unbalanced unless the body is quite heavy - and heavy bodies are never a good thing (says the fat guy with a wink).

I find that there is barely adequate room with 2 X 2 tuners on some sopranos when one of the buttons winds up "pointing at" an adjacent tuner.

I am a bit ambivalent on the shape but do not like the coloring of the headstock. I stink at graphic design but I think I would try one color, either of the ones in the body. I also found what ChrisCovington posted very compelling- maybe a good idea but for another uke.

I like it the shape, I say keep it.

If the head stock is changed for the production models I call dibs on the prototype.

Someone write that down.

I vote for traditional 3 point, but keep the same color scheme as the body. What's on there now is too dark.
....and I agree with the person who said to put that figure 8 style on the vintage looking (kumalae or nunes repro) one.

Well, I don't know very much about ukuleles yet, but I'm learning. I do know what I like, though, and I love the way this uke looks... yes. with he figure 8 headstock.

The headstock on my Nohea is just one of the many things I love about it. Glad they went with a Tele' head and not a Strat' one though. There's just something about this style headstock that "works" on a small instrument such as a Uke'. Be interesting to see one with friction style tuners (I assume they're the ones that don't show from the front).

I also have the Fender Nohea but, I stayed away from it because, I didn't like the headstock. My brother said that it's suppose to resemble the headstock of an upright bass. I'm assuming as viewed from the side. The owner of my favorite music shop just told me to stick a sock over it and we both laughed.;) I have the tenor and I do like the sound though. It's funny how we all like something different for different reasons.

The traditional 3 point gets my vote. The other one makes me think of a banjo (nothing against banjos, I like 'em).

I'm getting used to the prototype and like it. So count another vote toward it, since I already voted the other way. It looks a little large to me, but I like the curvy idea very much!

Stick with the standard headstock shape. The rest of the uke is real pretty
cheers
Gary

Top Bottom