Favorite Sports?

Baseball and Cricket.

I usta be into Cycling for exercise and Tandem touring with my wife. I also enjoyed Archery a lot for a long time.

Last edited:
I had been a life long cyclist, until I lost all my fitness by being unable to leave my mother on her own, (dementia); that cost me 8 years of near inactivity.
I haven't been able to regain my fitness to any reasonable level, & I just can't get up the hills or do the distances any more.
But, I used to go walking in the countryside too, & I can still do a bit of that, although not as far as I could before.

I'm OK, Dick, just getting back to getting out & about after the Covid lockdowns - gotta retrain the muscles.... ;)

Never too old - but the body may not be willing.......feeling my age a bit lately too. :D

Motorcycling, specifically MotoGP. I used to race (almost sixty years ago!) and the way the sport has developed is just amazing. Back then 50bhp was considered powerful. The tyres were very similar to road rubber. Nowadays, you need at least three times the power and ultra-sticky slicks.

I am in awe!

John Colter

I liked football (Notre Dame), but there’s just too many rules now. Ya can’t keep a rough sport like football safe with a bunch of rules. It becomes slow and irritating when teams are called back and penalized for breaking the rules over and over.

I have listened to baseball since 1976 on the radio…love this game
It's interesting how people choose to enjoy their favourite spectator sports. I used to have a neighbour who was deeply interested in tennis. She had a full sized tennis court at her house and played regularly. She would listen to radio commentaries of the big matches in preference to watching the action on TV.

I never understood that.

It's interesting how people choose to enjoy their favourite spectator sports. I used to have a neighbour who was deeply interested in tennis. She had a full sized tennis court at her house and played regularly. She would listen to radio commentaries of the big matches in preference to watching the action on TV.

I never understood that.
There is something special about a good commentator. Something that is totally lost on TV

There is something special about a good commentator. Something that is totally lost on TV
I guess I've never heard a good commentator. I'd much rather see what is happening than listen to somebody describing what is happening.

I'm not knocking radio coverage of sports. I know some folks really enjoy it. I just don't 'get' it.

I guess I've never heard a good commentator. I'd much rather see what is happening than listen to somebody describing what is happening.

I'm not knocking radio coverage of sports. I know some folks really enjoy it. I just don't 'get' it.
Baseball is by far my favorite, both to play and to watch. I enjoy watching college football but have no interest in the professional version or, for that matter, any other pro sports.

John, I certainly understand where you're coming from. Locally, a couple radio greats were the late Harry (Skip) Caray (baseball) and the late Larry Munson (UGA [American] football). Munson's most famously descriptive broadcast was the 2009 Sugar Bowl. Caray's was probably Hank Aaron's 715th home run in the 1970's but his play calling was wonderful during every game. His son Chip is very close to the same quality of commentary. Even today, when the Braves play at home, I prefer to mute the TV and turn up the radio to hear the far more descriptive play-calling.

To hear a truly gifted radio commentator, google "Andy Griffith What It Was Was Football".

There are plenty of really bad ones...but when you listen to the ball game with your dad (In the seventies we listened to the A's) in the garage on Saturday, I guess it sticks. We are blessed to have AMAZING broadcasters here in the SF Bay Area, and the Giants are my team. We listen to every game every year...couldn't even tell you what our best players look like.
But really it is like music. I can put on a great record and have it be background noise for hours, and I don't need to see the artist in person. I really just like sounds.

We are blessed to have AMAZING broadcasters here in the SF Bay Area, and the Giants are my team. We listen to every game every year...couldn't even tell you what our best players look like.

Grew up listening to Vin Sculley (Dodger baseball) and Chic Hearn (Lakers) down in LA... The Giants John Miller is Vin's protege and carries on his legacy...

It's the broadcasters that make the difference! John Miller used to do Sunday Night Baseball with Joe Morgan, but quit when Joe was fired... They were a great pair. Now, since he has no National presence, no one hears him anymore.

But: Dave Fleming to the rescue! He does every sport now, and lots of Nationally broadcast games. We are indeed gifted here in the SF Bay area!

Reactions: TCK
Sports announcers are not 'announcers' anymore - they are overzealous, overly-excitable fans. They way they, yell, scream, cheer and carry-on these days (sometimes about even the most mundane things) makes watching or even listening to any game a nearly excruciating experience. For example, listen to a the great Vin Scully do a homerun call, and then listen to the amatures that pose as announcers these days. Thjey go more crazy, and carry on far longer, over a simple two-run single than Scully did over Kirk Gibson's famous walk-off World Series home run. Just a plain disgrace.

Sports announcers are not 'announcers' anymore - they are overzealous, overly-excitable fans. They way they, yell, scream, cheer and carry-on these days (sometimes about even the most mundane things) makes watching or even listening to any game a nearly excruciating experience. For example, listen to a the great Vin Scully do a homerun call, and then listen to the amatures that pose as announcers these days. Thjey go more crazy, and carry on far longer, over a simple two-run single than Scully did over Kirk Gibson's famous walk-off World Series home run. Just a plain disgrace.
Scully would let the roar of the crowd speak for him often.

Top Bottom